WORLD CUP 2018 - Matchday Thread

There's been a real divide in this world cup between the European sides and the 'Rest of the World' when it comes to setting out to niggle and foul and just be generally unpleasant.  Teams line Colombia and Uruguay have enough quality to be above all that but they haven't been.  Sad.

Surprised how flat Uruguay seemed but can't help but be impressed by France, even though that seemed surprisingly comfortable for them. The Semi Final against Brazil or Belgium should be a cracker but I give up expecting or predicting anything with this tournament, just end up looking daft, much like with Championship predictions. :picnic::ghoulguy:

Uruguay  0-2  France ... :dry:

First half was okay - but if the French were a bit lucky to go in 1-0 up then their second goal but the cap on it

Needed Uruguay to score to make it a game but all we got was handbags and then nothing much at all

Are France really going to stumble through to the final thanks to a series of lucky breaks?

Well according to ITV's commentator they've 'powered' their way through to the semis

He was kidding, right?

22 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

There's been a real divide in this world cup between the European sides and the 'Rest of the World' when it comes to setting out to niggle and foul and just be generally unpleasant.  Teams line Colombia and Uruguay have enough quality to be above all that but they haven't been.  Sad.

Quite agree why they do it is beyond me, it also seems to be counter productive and they end up having a siege mentality against the referee.  Shame really as they undoubtedly have the ability to play at a very high.  More fool them.

11 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

Uruguay  0-2  France ... :dry:

First half was okay - but if the French were a bit lucky to go in 1-0 up then their second goal but the cap on it

Needed Uruguay to score to make it a game but all we got was handbags and then nothing much at all

Are France really going to stumble through to the final thanks to a series of lucky breaks?

Well according to ITV's commentator they've 'powered' their way through to the semis

He was kidding, right?

is that a poem? I like the way you formatted it :ph34r:

I think France have been effective without being spectacular but they showed their attacking abilities in the game against Argentina. Brazil or Belgium should be a much more of a test. But who knows with this tournament but I'd be mindful of teams that grow into the team or progress in a effective manner like that.

7 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

No England fan in their right mind thinks we will walk this game . We know it’s going to be close , we could easily lose , it’s the England / Wednesday way !! .

We're in a perfect position to follow the National team. We have a history of winning major trophies, but we no longer have the best players in the world. It must be difficult for the Manchester team fans to watch England. However, we know on our day we can beat anyone. We know we can throw it away against anyone too. 

COME ON ENGLAND!!! 

lol

To say it was a game that won't live long in the memory is a bit of an understatement

I expected a lot more from two 'top' teams playing for a place in a semi final of the World Cup too

Let's see ... there was the second French goal, courtesy of a goalie error that was almost Robert Green-esque

and Mbappe went down poleaxed shortly afterwards - Why? mm ... don't remember