What other pre-season friendlies should we do?

For those old enough to remember football back in the early nineties, teams like Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade would always intrigue me. The days before football was broken and relative minows could still aspire to that ultimate glory!!!! Steaua were in crisis the last time I looked but Red Star at S6 would be a little bit magical IMO. 

39 minutes ago, Morepork said:

For those old enough to remember football back in the early nineties, teams like Steaua Bucharest and Red Star Belgrade would always intrigue me. The days before football was broken and relative minows could still aspire to that ultimate glory!!!! Steaua were in crisis the last time I looked but Red Star at S6 would be a little bit magical IMO. 

Minnows? They were state funded giants under their old communist rulers which is why they were so dominant for so long at home and such well known regulars on the European scene.

23 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Minnows? They were state funded giants under their old communist rulers which is why they were so dominant for so long at home and such well known regulars on the European scene.

State funded yes but relative to the teams they faced they were “minnows”. The winning European Cup final team of 91 consisted of an entirely Yugoslavian team with just one Romanian exception. Marseille on the other hand had Waddle, Pele and a fella called Stojkovic on the bench that they bought from Red Star for 5.5m the season before. That’s more than double the highest amount Red Star have ever spent on a player to this day. 

I wish i sh I could say that was all from memory.....lol

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes but all the best players from those countries ended up at those teams (unless they were transferred to western Europe for hard foreign cash). In both cases the clubs were almost the national team and other clubs that complained about it suffered.

9 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Blackpool , Morecambe,  Fleetwood,  Accrington or preferably AFC Fylde Away 

For a great away weekend for our supporters and a nice short commute for Moi - Owlsman- LythamOwl- and anyone else who's living up here ?lol

Is Brannigans still open?

• Haha 1