Next season

Nothing to be fearful next season in my opinion. I don’t fear Villa or Derby at all. Both aging sides and they will both have to cut back.

Boro are the team that I think will do well. Their chairman, Steve Gibson is excellent and they have Pulis who has the experience to guide them to promotion.

We have got work to do this summer. First priority is to get all the players fit and conditioned. I think we need to try and shift a few out which will prove difficult. We probably only need to bring in 4 players max. Certainly a centre half, pacy wide forward and an all action dynamic central midfielder who can play in a 2 man midfield.

I think we are more than capable of getting a lower playoff position if we get things right over the summer.

10 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

WBA, Boro, Villa and Stoke to finish in the top 6 but there's still a couple of places up for grabs.

West brom,villa,stoke and bimingham as well as derby and forest are all local derbys for midlands teams.We know what local derbys ate like excluding the game at hillsborough this seasoin. They are normally tight games with suspensions and injuries due to their feisty nature.There will be a lot of points dropped in these games which could count at the end of the season.

Excellent summary from the OP

I think we’ll surprise a few next season, as most clubs won’t be aware of what went on here this year. To the rest of the country we probably look like a club who threw some cash at it and failed, and are now on the fall

If Jos gets this lot fit and confident, we’ll be top 6 no doubt 

8 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Nothing to be fearful next season in my opinion. I don’t fear Villa or Derby at all. Both aging sides and they will both have to cut back.

Boro are the team that I think will do well. Their chairman, Steve Gibson is excellent and they have Pulis who has the experience to guide them to promotion.

We have got work to do this summer. First priority is to get all the players fit and conditioned. I think we need to try and shift a few out which will prove difficult. We probably only need to bring in 4 players max. Certainly a centre half, pacy wide forward and an all action dynamic central midfielder who can play in a 2 man midfield.

I think we are more than capable of getting a lower playoff position if we get things right over the summer.

Think you're going to be disappointed about signing four players, honestly believe we will be going with what we have now.  Might sign a couple of young lads.

Hope your right though, as I do agree in the main with your points. 

12 hours ago, Quist said:

The Championship is beginingto take shape for 18/19 and having a look at contenders for next season is interesting to say the least. There does not appear to be any obvious stand out candidates and with premier teams not bouncing back as easily as they once did it is difficult to predict.

West Brom look to have the squad most equipped for the Championship of the relegated clubs. They have appointed Darren Moore as manager who had success at end of season but is new to management and it will be a challenge for any manager in the Championship let alone one without any experience of management. stand good chance but not nailed on.

Swansea squad does not look the type to adapt to a Championship season, they have some players who would do well but lots who will not fancy it. They are linked with Graham Potter to become manager and this is a choice that will be a complate disaster or a masterstroke. Judging from recent managerial choices it looks a desperate act.

Stoke are unhappy behind the scenes and Rowett will sort them out but he is a manager who builds so I suspect it will be season 19/20 before they come good.

Aston Villa have an aging squad (seven of team today over 30 and one aged 29) and we all know they do not get better. Whats more they will now have to manage budget carefully. For some reason they thought they were certainties to get promoted today and its gone pear shaped. Will be in top half but do not fancy them for promotion.

Derby very old team and again have to be careful managing budget, in top half but can not see them being promoted.

Brentford and Bristol City have some excekkent players but seem to fail to last the distance I am not sure that anything will change with these teams.

Middlesborough have decent squad and are certain to be there or abouts but Pulis style of play is now old hat and everybody knows how they will play and are most predictable opponent and because of this will find it difficulf.

Birmingham had good end of season and they may be surprise packet. Monk is decent manager and sure they will be in top half of table.

Leeds had indifferent season but Heckingbottom is reasonable manager who will improve them over time and he has a knack of identifying good players if allowed influence in transfers.

If any of newcomers from league 1 do well suspect it may be Wigan as Paul Cook has outstanding record as a manager.

Cardiff had oldest average age of any team promoted out of Championship so a team with older players can do well but generally teams with average age of 26 /27 do well.

Be interested to here others thoughts on next season?

He'll have his contract paid up this week I'm told.

Maybe a decent bloke but out of depth at LUFC.

10 hours ago, Junk Smuggler said:

WBA, Boro, Villa and Stoke to finish in the top 6 but there's still a couple of places up for grabs.

Gonna be a right season in the Midlands and you can throw in Forest and Derby, will hardly be a weekend when there isn't a Derby.  

Could be another good season attendance wise.  

1 hour ago, just visiting said:

He'll have his contract paid up this week I'm told.

Maybe a decent bloke but out of depth at LUFC.

The rumour they are engaging CC that is going round stands a chance of being true.If so I revise my opinion they will be in bottom 6.

4 hours ago, welsOwl74 said:

Was agreeing with you til you said heckingbottom was a good manager,the guy had a worse win record than Carlos last season ,he'll be sacked by Christmas and managing in the micky mouse leagues 

Accept did not perform well when you look at stats but Barnsley lost an entire team of players and inherited a real bag of spanners when took over Leeds. He had previously done excellent and I like the way he sets up a team. Jst think he is more competent than most.

1 hour ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

West brom,villa,stoke and bimingham as well as derby and forest are all local derbys for midlands teams.We know what local derbys ate like excluding the game at hillsborough this seasoin. They are normally tight games with suspensions and injuries due to their feisty nature.There will be a lot of points dropped in these games which could count at the end of the season.

Think that is a good point. Usually a very short priced favourite for promotion but this season its 3-1 joint favourites for promotion. We are now 13-2.

My thoughts are that the league will be as open as its been for a long time. None of the relegated teams worry me, nor do any of the other "big teams' already in the league. 

Depends on what happens in the transfer market, but think we have as good a chance as ever next season. When fit, we've got quality in the squad and look like we are trying to recruit in the right areas.

My hope is that we will kick on agan next year and would like us challenging for top 6, unless DC goes for it re FFP or we do remarkable loan business in which case we have as good a chance as anyone else for top 2.

Everyone always expect the relegated teams from the premier league to be up there for obvious reasons but it doesn’t always work out that way as the past season shows.

Moore had nothing to lose at WBA in the run-in but he won’t have that luxury next season. Rowett never has an instant impact at clubs and Swansea are more likely to do a Sunderland and struggle whoever they appoint as I don’t believe they have a squad cut out for the championship with the exception of one or two players.

Villa and Middlesborough will be up there in no small part due to their respective managers.

As for the rest there is too much inconsistencies to really judge who will be there or thereabouts. There’s always one or two surprise packages both in terms of being up there and down the bottom.

I could see Preston being up there again if they keep their best players and Brentford too if they start better which they very rarely do.

As for the Sheffield Clubs I think Wilder has put himself under enormous pressure with his boardroom blast at the end of the season. The syrups were probably in relegation form in the second half of the season and if they don’t spend I think they’ll struggle more than they think they will.

We’ll benefit from the reduction

in expectation levels. If we keep key players fit notably Forrestieri I think we’ll be in and around the Top 6 regardless of what I expect to be another quiet summer recruitment wise?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

With the exception of Shrewsbury/Millers and Bolton you can develop a half decent argument for any team being in the top six.

Relegated teams: flush with cash. Even with the loss of their best players they should build strong squads.

Play-off losers: obviously there this season, so why not next if they keep much of the squad?

Top half finishers: (Preston, Brentford, Bristol C, Blades, Millwall) couple of astute signings, stability at the club and keeping hold of their better ones and a good start.

Mid table finishers (Leeds, Norwich, Ipswich, QPR, Forest, Us): a few new(ish) managers, some with a bit of investment. All building, all with promise, all with expectation to improve on the disappointment of this season.

Promoted teams: Wigan and Blackburn's momentum and enthusiasm could replicated Utd's start and/or Millwall's post-Christmas form.

Last season's strugglers: Birmingham and Reading and Hull: new managers, some decent players. Under performed last season?

Which leaves Shrewsbury/Rotherham and Bolton.

It mostly depends on which teams lose the better players (Villa could be in turmoil) and/or bring them in. 

And getting that good start. For quite a few teams, a bad start will quickly knock the confidence and set the scene for a season at the other end of the table.