Next season

The Championship is beginingto take shape for 18/19 and having a look at contenders for next season is interesting to say the least. There does not appear to be any obvious stand out candidates and with premier teams not bouncing back as easily as they once did it is difficult to predict.

West Brom look to have the squad most equipped for the Championship of the relegated clubs. They have appointed Darren Moore as manager who had success at end of season but is new to management and it will be a challenge for any manager in the Championship let alone one without any experience of management. stand good chance but not nailed on.

Swansea squad does not look the type to adapt to a Championship season, they have some players who would do well but lots who will not fancy it. They are linked with Graham Potter to become manager and this is a choice that will be a complate disaster or a masterstroke. Judging from recent managerial choices it looks a desperate act.

Stoke are unhappy behind the scenes and Rowett will sort them out but he is a manager who builds so I suspect it will be season 19/20 before they come good.

Aston Villa have an aging squad (seven of team today over 30 and one aged 29) and we all know they do not get better. Whats more they will now have to manage budget carefully. For some reason they thought they were certainties to get promoted today and its gone pear shaped. Will be in top half but do not fancy them for promotion.

Derby very old team and again have to be careful managing budget, in top half but can not see them being promoted.

Brentford and Bristol City have some excekkent players but seem to fail to last the distance I am not sure that anything will change with these teams.

Middlesborough have decent squad and are certain to be there or abouts but Pulis style of play is now old hat and everybody knows how they will play and are most predictable opponent and because of this will find it difficulf.

Birmingham had good end of season and they may be surprise packet. Monk is decent manager and sure they will be in top half of table.

Leeds had indifferent season but Heckingbottom is reasonable manager who will improve them over time and he has a knack of identifying good players if allowed influence in transfers.

If any of newcomers from league 1 do well suspect it may be Wigan as Paul Cook has outstanding record as a manager.

Cardiff had oldest average age of any team promoted out of Championship so a team with older players can do well but generally teams with average age of 26 /27 do well.

Be interested to here others thoughts on next season?

• Like 1

Stoke West Brom And Middlesbrough will be very strong I think. After that I think there’s another 6-8 teams capable of challenging the top 6 at this point and we should be one of them.

But to be honest a lot depends on the summer for us and others

Was agreeing with you til you said heckingbottom was a good manager,the guy had a worse win record than Carlos last season ,he'll be sacked by Christmas and managing in the micky mouse leagues 

It depends on three things;

Unity of the club

Manager 

Squad

Of those three, its generally been the unity of purpose and the manager that has been most important over the recent seasons.

So teams coming down are rarely happy clubs and thus even having a decent manager and good squad isn't necessarily enough. WBA seem to be most together but is Moore up to it? Are Stoke and Swansea fans really that up for getting back to the Prem bottom half? No no no. None of them look like automatics but a couple could challenge top 6.

Villa, Derby look like one bad start away from a meltdown and they will have the play off hangover.

Boro could be the bolter from the pack but how are Boro staying within FFP FFS?

Brentford QPR look like decent shouts for top 6. Preston will grind their way to there or there abouts.

Get the club and fans  pulling in the same direction and Wednesday look like Brighton, Fulham. Decent squad with unflappable manager been close sure to come again.

Of the rest Bristol City could go either way. Utd will lose their sheet unless they start like last year and they will probably start how they finished. Wigan may do well first half of season.

Edited by Peacenocchio

Difficult to judge the relegated sides at this stage as they're bound to lose their top players leaving them with the average but overpaid ones with a losing mentality who got them relegated.  Can't imagine Shaqiri and Butland playing in the Championship,  and WBA will lose Evans for sure and probably a few more. They'll be loaded of course but spending doesn't guarantee success and they'll be competing for the same players - how much did Villa spend first year down, think it was nearly £50m on 3 strikers alone and they finished 13th. 

Love the sentiment OP. 

I’m stating the obvious really, but our hopes next season rely on Jos being the real deal. Nothing to suggest he isn’t, but it’s a different challenge now to what he’s faced with us already.

His style is exactly what we need so I’m hopeful. But as we know, there are no guarantees in this league.

I’d fancy Boro to be up there. I think Birmingham will get themselves sorted but not sure Monk can do it for a whole season. Not sure any relegated sides will go straight back up. Villa and Derby getting worse. It could be very open next year. Let’s hope we make the most of it!