Westwood interview

I know people are saying we should cash in, but I really think the squad will benefit from an experienced goalkeeper.

Imagine if one of either Dawson & Wildsmith get injured or even both & we have sold Westwood.

I think the best thing to do is loan Dawson/Wildsmith out with a 24 hour recall clause (if that’s still a thing?). Westwood should still be number 1 keeper for me 

3 minutes ago, Moz_Wednesday said:

I know people are saying we should cash in, but I really think the squad will benefit from an experienced goalkeeper.

Imagine if one of either Dawson & Wildsmith get injured or even both & we have sold Westwood.

I think the best thing to do is loan Dawson/Wildsmith out with a 24 hour recall clause (if that’s still a thing?). Westwood should still be number 1 keeper for me 

Bang on.

The confidence an experienced keeper with his ability gives his defenders in invaluable.

Wildsmith and Dawson are both very able keepers and their time will come but for me Westwood is our number 1.

Edited by TrickyTrev

Westwood has a year left on his contract so what would be get £1-2m max, if we sell him it will be to another team looking for promotion from this league. 

Fully match fit he is the best keeper in this league and better than a lot of the lower premiership teams. We are going to put all of our faith and additional pressure on winning promotion on the shoulders of a kid that has play 20 games. No to get rid of the best keeper in the division for me would be a very stupid idea.

I would be resigning him up to a longer deal because then if anyone came sniffing we get £5m+ for the best keeper in the league. But I am just a fan what do I know.

Good interview and you know he is a professional and he cares.

I think we need to retain him next season - its important we have an experienced keeper if we are to challenge for promotion.  I understand that we need to trim the wage bill but I hope we look at others if deals can be done before Westwood.

Another one of our players rushed back from injury. Fully fit he is the best in this league and the difference between top 10 and top 4 for me. There are many others I would prefer to see leave before Westy and let's face it, at 34 he will not command a big fee.

Both Dawson and Wildsmith need to be playing week in week out to improve them, that cannot be done in the same team one of them needs sending out on loan for next season. 

BUT we need to make it a stipulation of the loan if they are fit they play we have sent too many players out over the last 2 years to not even get in the match day squad. If they want the player they agree to our terms if not then they don't get them simples - or we put fines into the contract the same way Cardiff have with the midfielder from Liverpool this season.

9 minutes ago, WhiteOwl91 said:

'It will probably be a summer of speculation for a few of us because it's well known that the club is looking to offload some high earners, so we will see what happens'

:sad:

Yes...I noticed that. 

Not sure whether that's him putting two and two together (like most of us have done) or whether he's been told that matter of factually. 

Do think that article is a bit on the mellow dramatic re: our "perilous" financial situation, but who knows. 

Worth remembering the infamous survey that asked fans whether we wanted to maintain higher ticket prices to keep hold of top earners. 

Not going to look particularly good if we have a fire sale this summer. 

• Thanks 2