Random pre-season games you were at

8 hours ago, MalagaOwl said:

What random re season game can you remember. For me I have nice memories sitting on the grass behind the goal in Groningen in (july? 2007?) . I think it was Brunteh's last pre season

Anyone else there?

4 hours ago, casbahowl said:

That was the one where we were attacked before and after the game. Same at Go Ahead Eagles on the same tour.

Luckily about 50 of us there on a 40th otherwise it could have been really nasty.

Best by far was USA 2005 closely followed by Copa Ibiza !

I was there for the game on the Saturday, against Groningen themselves. Was at their training ground, not their stadium.

Was on my own (left the wife in 'Dam looking at art and stuff). Got there about an hour before kick off. Had a couple of beers, ate an under-cooked burger, chatted to Owls and locals, all very friendly.

Went to the bogs just before kick off, which were outside of the turnstiles oddly. As I came out a gang of about 50-60 "types" stormed the turnstiles. "That's nice" I thought, and gave it a couple of minutes before I went back in.

The knuckle draggers all gathered around the the edge of the pitch around the corner flag, between the pitch and the clubhouse.

There wasn't a very nice atmosphere, but not much happened until Brunt did a two-footed tackle, right in that corner of the pitch. Cue lots of angriness, beer going skywards and a red card.

So Brunt had to now get through the Neanderthals to the chaining rooms. They sort of opened up a way though for him but as he went through he they started pushing him around and threw a beer or two at him.

So what does Brunt do? Does he run? Does he f*#ck. He turned round, fists clenched and did that thing where you stick out your chin quickly...the body language equivalent of "come on then you coonts". All the 'ardos bottled it, and Chris laughed, turned round and sauntered off.

I loved Brunt before that. Even more after.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sham67 said:

82/83ish.  The same season Bannister and Gary Megson signed.

2 hours ago, Watson said:

Cheers for that, did think it was earlier than that tho.

IMG_20180518_195200661.thumb.jpg.dbf127dfe1123f75fa12946d405ac9a7.jpgIMG_20180518_200426670.thumb.jpg.fdc9f53e7192ee387c1649dd156115fd.jpg

I'm not very good with technical stuff, so hope these photos come through or I'll look a bit thick.

lol

If it's not clear, programme v Palace from first home match of 81/82 season.

• Thanks 2

More contemporary ones - does anyone remember us playing Bury at Salford's rugby ground? I think Nuhiu scored for us, I was away at the time but remember thinking it was bizarre that we were playing the game there.

I remember one bizarre afternoon away at Doncaster a few years ago after they'd been relegated from the Championship, there were just under 2000 Wednesdayites behind the goal but only about 500 home fans. A fairly dull afternoon was made more interesting when word got out that the One Direction member who's a Donny fan was sat in a box off to our left, so a girl sent a steward off to get his autograph for her.

Think we drew 2-2, seem to remember Kirkland ballsing up a free kick as he had an irritating tendency to do.

Malta was pretty bizarre. Three teams played in the same game . Fist 45 mins Wednesday v Matese team. Second 45 mins Maltese team 1 v Matese team two, then Wednesday v Team 2 for another 45 mins.  Same format a couple of days later, and we got beaten on penalties after one half of football.

Winning the Shipp cup by beating Cambridge away 5-2 in '76, happy days

Crewe 1 Wednesday 8 1990 including a hat-trick by Hirsty.

Queen of the South in 1980. (+Kilmarnock a few days later). Sid v Mr Bogie

41 minutes ago, sheffieldblue said:

Malta was pretty bizarre. Three teams played in the same game . Fist 45 mins Wednesday v Matese team. Second 45 mins Maltese team 1 v Matese team two, then Wednesday v Team 2 for another 45 mins.  Same format a couple of days later, and we got beaten on penalties after one half of football.

Winning the Shipp cup by beating Cambridge away 5-2 in '76, happy days

Crewe 1 Wednesday 8 1990 including a hat-trick by Hirsty.

Queen of the South in 1980. (+Kilmarnock a few days later). Sid v Mr Bogie

Malta was strange , and some how won a cup.

P1010608.jpg

P1010608.jpg

10 hours ago, MalagaOwl said:

What random re season game can you remember. For me I have nice memories sitting on the grass behind the goal in Groningen in (july? 2007?) . I think it was Brunteh's last pre season

Anyone else there?

Yes that was a strange day,  Remember sat in a lovely bar in this nice village and suddenly about 100 people walked past saying Sheffield will die!!!

Was a strange walk to the ground as I remember some old bloke mowing his lawn while I'm thinking any moment this is going off.

After game plod put us in a minibus to station which was actually in groningen(I think) then we got train straight back to dam. 

Tudgay didn't help with last minute equaliser. 

Edited by coopswfc76

9 hours ago, RoyCroppersHair said:

When we played Ibiza Preston and Watford in San Antonio, mad week 

Yep that's when I first felt old,  1 week in ibiza nearly killed me. 

I'd been twice before for 2 week both times no problem but this time I could have slept for a week after.

Great press conference though free champagne and lager plus Turner told us promoted by easter and Europe in 5 years!!!

We lost 0-3 to Colchester opening day lol

Edited by coopswfc76
  • Haha 2

Wilmington Hammerheads away, July 2006, drew 1-1.

Drove the 850 miles down to North Carolina from New Hampshire the day before with my brother who had come over especially. He went on to see Wednesday get a memorable win at Rochester Rhinos in New York a few days later. 

Had a few beers with Paul Sturrock, Lee Bullen, Frankie Simek and the rest of the team after the game. Good couple of days. 

Edited by NHOwl
  • Like 1

14-0 defeat at Alfreton, it was billed as a friendly v a full strength Sheffield Wednesday we sent a set of kids. 

They were winning 9-0 at half time and took it easy in the second half. Little did they know that they could have broken the record for our heaviest defeat if they had kept going it stands at 16-0 I believe.