Random pre-season games you were at

19 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Yep that's when I first felt old,  1 week in ibiza nearly killed me. 

I'd been twice before for 2 week both times no problem but this time I could have slept for a week after.

Great press conference though free champagne and lager plus Turner told us promoted by easter and Europe in 5 years!!!

We lost 0-3 to Colchester opening day lol

This was it, quality of photo not great.

Image may contain: one or more people

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I remember playing PSV at home after relegation from premier league think we drew 2-2.

Also beating Rotherham 2-1 at Don Valley was a bizarre venue for an away game.

Well they did play there at the time!

Tango also did half a lap of the running track too I remember. Well a quarter. 

the ibiza tour when Chris Turner told us he'd have us in Europe, he was not wrong. also Macclesfield griefing their goal keeper and bouncing on the beds in the bed shop in town. Might be where the bounce song started. (sarcastic)

1987 I think, we arranged to play our neighbors at the stain in the centenary cup I think it was named , beat them 3-0 , I remember mainly cause I was living in South Africa at the time and was back in Sheffield for the summer.

On 18/05/2018 at 21:25, sheffieldblue said:

Malta was pretty bizarre. Three teams played in the same game . Fist 45 mins Wednesday v Matese team. Second 45 mins Maltese team 1 v Matese team two, then Wednesday v Team 2 for another 45 mins.  Same format a couple of days later, and we got beaten on penalties after one half of football.

Winning the Shipp cup by beating Cambridge away 5-2 in '76, happy days

Crewe 1 Wednesday 8 1990 including a hat-trick by Hirsty.

Queen of the South in 1980. (+Kilmarnock a few days later). Sid v Mr Bogie

And Mr Bogie Jr!

On 18/05/2018 at 20:18, Owl At Risk said:

I was there for the game on the Saturday, against Groningen themselves. Was at their training ground, not their stadium.

Was on my own (left the wife in 'Dam looking at art and stuff). Got there about an hour before kick off. Had a couple of beers, ate an under-cooked burger, chatted to Owls and locals, all very friendly.

Went to the bogs just before kick off, which were outside of the turnstiles oddly. As I came out a gang of about 50-60 "types" stormed the turnstiles. "That's nice" I thought, and gave it a couple of minutes before I went back in.

The knuckle draggers all gathered around the the edge of the pitch around the corner flag, between the pitch and the clubhouse.

There wasn't a very nice atmosphere, but not much happened until Brunt did a two-footed tackle, right in that corner of the pitch. Cue lots of angriness, beer going skywards and a red card.

So Brunt had to now get through the Neanderthals to the chaining rooms. They sort of opened up a way though for him but as he went through he they started pushing him around and threw a beer or two at him.

So what does Brunt do? Does he run? Does he f*#ck. He turned round, fists clenched and did that thing where you stick out your chin quickly...the body language equivalent of "come on then you coonts". All the 'ardos bottled it, and Chris laughed, turned round and sauntered off.

I loved Brunt before that. Even more after.

We were stood on the bank to the far left of the net, I can remember seeing some commotion in the bottom corner but couldn't make out what was happening, we also had the misfortune of leaving before Tudgay equalised.

2 hours ago, stevewhiterose said:

I remember playing Brondby and from memory, Schmeichell was in goal for them.

That wasn’t pre season though pal, it was a hastily arranged game on Fa cup fourth round day as we’d been dumped out the previous round, for Ron to run the rule over a 20 year old  Scmeichell.

We won 5-0 Shmeichell had a mare and Ron never took up our option.

8 hours ago, jayzman said:

Torquay away, prem days - Blondeau made his debut (or close to).  Won 1-0 : I remember because it was full price to get in, for a friendly - in the days before clubs took the wee wee with prices.

I was at this one along with the other two games in Exeter and Plymouth a lovely sunny week in the South West and we gained a couple of prizes from Taunton :stuwinky:

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 19:27, MrsHall said:

Peterborough ages ago. Can't remember score, quite a few there, quality memory or what! UTO.

Went to that one in the Ship Cup about '75 or '76 think we won 2-1 (Peter Feeley springs to mind as one of the scorers. Hot summer's Saturday afternoon game.