Random pre-season games you were at

Kuqi scoring a hat trick at Macclesfield

Losing 4-0 at Mansfield on a Monday night

Beating the Nigeria national team 3-1 at Hillsborough

Losing 6-3 at home to Everton - my mate left the game with a few minutes to go when we were losing 3-1 and missed a late goalfest

Winning 4-0 at Stocksbridge Park Steels - nothing special as a game but it was my boy's first ever Wednesday match.

tbh now I'm older and wiser I realise that pre season friendlies are usually as dull as ditchwater so I only bother going to them now if it's a big name at home or an away ground that I haven't been to before. Ticked off quite a few new grounds that way like York, Grimsby, Mansfield, Worksop

26 minutes ago, MalagaOwl said:

What random re season game can you remember. For me I have nice memories sitting on the grass behind the goal in Groningen in (july? 2007?) . I think it was Brunteh's last pre season

Anyone else there?

All three on that tour.

37 minutes ago, MalagaOwl said:

What random re season game can you remember. For me I have nice memories sitting on the grass behind the goal in Groningen in (july? 2007?) . I think it was Brunteh's last pre season

Anyone else there?

I was there it was a beautiful sunny day with a downpour somewhere in it. Groningen was a lovely little place and the weekend in 'Dam was great.

I don't do home friendlies at all and the aways ones are much more about the trip than the actual games which are usually awful.

Had a fantastic time in the South West in about '97 when we played Exeter, Torquay and Plymouth.

Edited by toppOwl

Owls v Celtic at parkhead 1993. Aberdeen v Blackburn at pitodrie the year they won premier league. Elgin v Aberdeen around 1995 at Elgin. Before you ask, I was based at RAF lossiemouth at the time and was desparate the watch football. I still used to work my leave so I saw 10 owls matches per season. 900 miles round trip though. Good times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MalagaOwl said:

Anyone else there?

Wasn’t at that one, but I was at Utrecht Not sure if it was the same tour

4-1 win at MK Dons. I think Esajas scored a free-kick.

I can't remember if it was a pre-season game or not, but I went to Bob Bolder's testimonial at the Valley too. Trevor Francis came on as sub and scored a ridiculous 40-yarder. Finished 3-3.

3 hours ago, MalagaOwl said:

Anyone else there?

That was the one where we were attacked before and after the game. Same at Go Ahead Eagles on the same tour.

Luckily about 50 of us there on a 40th otherwise it could have been really nasty.

Best by far was USA 2005 closely followed by Copa Ibiza !

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

Kuqi scoring a hat trick at Macclesfield

Losing 4-0 at Mansfield on a Monday night

Beating the Nigeria national team 3-1 at Hillsborough

Losing 6-3 at home to Everton - my mate left the game with a few minutes to go when we were losing 3-1 and missed a late goalfest

Winning 4-0 at Stocksbridge Park Steels - nothing special as a game but it was my boy's first ever Wednesday match.

tbh now I'm older and wiser I realise that pre season friendlies are usually as dull as ditchwater so I only bother going to them now if it's a big name at home or an away ground that I haven't been to before. Ticked off quite a few new grounds that way like York, Grimsby, Mansfield, Worksop

I remembered that 4 nil Mansfield game. Living in the town it was a nightmare having Mansfield fans taunting me for the ‘thrashing’ the dished out:duntmatter:.