#SWFC Legend Chris Waddle says it how it is

21 minutes ago, Spuddy01 said:

He’s right though, barring 04 when we lost to Portugal in the quarters we’ve been sheite in every tournament we’ve gone to.

narrow minded coaching from the fa's production line of coaches, same old, same old whoever is brought in.

a 1970's brian clough wouldn't have been able to get a gig.

from the little i've seen of our junior sides we're using a side full of young high energy black lads running their cream crackers off shutting sides down and hoping to nick one and hang on, but if that is the future of english football it's better than the shyte we've had for the last 20 year of trying to play 'the continental way' whilst leaving any strengths the british game has at home in an attempt to look more fashionable.

you can't take a side full of people who play their football at 90mph week in, week out and make them ball players for three weeks every 2 years, just have tha b*lls to play english style football, and when we're beat come home, but at least give it a go.

We were told we had a golden generation of footballers i.e Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard etc who weren't as good as people thought. Other nations had far superior players that played at the top of their game and maintained that tournament after tournament. Plenty of froth and no substance.

4 minutes ago, dnhc said:

narrow minded coaching from the fa's production line of coaches, same old, same old whoever is brought in.

from the little i've seen of our junior sides we're using a side full of young high energy black lads running their cream crackers off shutting sides down and hoping to nick one and hang on, but if that is the future of english football it's better than the shyte we've had for the last 20 year of trying to play 'the continental way' whilst leaving any strengths the british game has at home in an attempt to look more fashionable.

you can't take a side full of people who play their football at 90mph week in, week out and make them ball players for three weeks every 2 years, just have tha b*lls to play english style football, and when we're beat come home, but at least give it a go.

Couldn’t agree more.

Until it changes at the top, nothing will change.

And stop picking players because of their name or who they play for. Perfect example, when Leicester won the title, Drinkwater (not everybody’s cup of tea but) had an amazing season but Wiltshire got chosen over him to go to France and he only played 4 games!!! that season, an If I remember rightly he got injured over there and never played a game.

1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We were told we had a golden generation of footballers i.e Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard etc who weren't as good as people thought. Other nations had far superior players that played at the top of their game and maintained that tournament after tournament. Plenty of froth and no substance.

That team was good enough to win something in my opinion just wasn’t used right. It was obvious the Gerard/Lampard combo just didn’t work in a 442 but we kept persevering with it.

24 minutes ago, dnhc said:

Great post. This 'modern football' bores me to death.

8 minutes ago, Spuddy01 said:

That team was good enough to win something in my opinion just wasn’t used right. It was obvious the Gerard/Lampard combo just didn’t work in a 442 but we kept persevering with it.

That sounds eerily familiar...

:carlos:

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Spuddy01 said:

Couldn’t agree more.

Until it changes at the top, nothing will change.

And stop picking players because of their name or who they play for. Perfect example, when Leicester won the title, Drinkwater (not everybody’s cup of tea but) had an amazing season but Wiltshire got chosen over him to go to France and he only played 4 games!!! that season, an If I remember rightly he got injured over there and never played a game.

the joe hart situation shows what has gone on for years, shyte keeper? but at a BIG club? YOU'RE IN.

i mean is ashley young one of the best we have?

was he good enough to play for england when he was at 'his best'?

so many duplicated robots for the 'one style of play' (anyone getting a first half season long flashback?)

again it's avoid the obvious, play at a slow pace, don't attack anyone with any intent OR they may attack you, play it all day long across the backline do ef all with it, then dawdle on it in m/f before finally managing to get it into the middle hoping sterling doesn't kick another sitter over the bar again.

I agree. And but for Sols goal getting chalked off I think we'd a chance of going all the way in '98.

Sven. The original shoehorner.

Mind. We banked on Owen long after his sell by date. No one dare drop him even when he was clearly on the wane.

Hargreave criminally underused when he was bossing it for Bayern in the holding midfield role.

Meh.

Not really a shock we are so bad though we only have 6 teams to pick form Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs and other than Spurs barely an English player see game time. Every single England manager the same thing over and over again no other team seems to exist outside these 6.

same crap Man Utd and City players pick how the hell Delph and Jones get picked every time only southgate knows that one.

we have possibly the easiest group so if we cannot get to the next round we need to ditch the lot.

but it's dull as dishwater to watch. You want a country support play attacking football score goals, give us entertainment.

Totally agree. England should play "English" football, stop trying to be Spain or Holland. Play with a big orrid centre forward, two wingers high tempo get it in the mixer and have a right go.

Pick players that are on form not just because they play for the big clubs.

Wales got to the semi's of the Euros on the back of this method with 1 world class player a couple of prem players and the rest championship journeymen. Overall our team is stronger than that but the sum is generally less than the whole of the parts.

The last 20 years I’ve just been bored watching mainly 1970’s style 442 systems. Negative football with 2 banks of 4 and totally rigid. It’s been embarrassing to be honest. Hoddle played a more fluid system he had 3 at the back and played a more expansive attacking game and that actually gave me hope. Fast forward to Capello and ‘Woy’ Hodgson and oh dear, that football just made me want to stick pins in my eyes. Same old players too, scarred by previous failure who actually looked terrified of making a mistake so just played it safe. I.e backwards and sidewards.

At least Southgate is not playing 442 and he’s giving the young lads a chance. We are lacking quality now but much more refreshing than the bull sh it we’ve been fed during the so called golden generation lol