Will they or won't they?

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I’m assuming Clare won’t sign coz he wants to move back down south 

I’m assuming Hirst won’t sign coz he wants to join a premier league under 23 side

Good luck to both of them, as they would have been part of a big clubs first team plans next season had they stayed 

Clare was signed from the Nike Academy a few season back I think he was on Charlton's books so it could be a move back South but I think it is more a case of a few article in the paper saying he is the next Deli Alli - nothing has ever been said what terms he has been offered but presumably it is not the same amount as Hirst or he would have been the highest contract for his age ala Hirst so presumable its in the region of anywhere from £2,000 - £5,000 a week for me and you probably thats a lot of money but you know footballers.

As for GH he will walk into a premier league under 23's as you say and probably will be sent out on loan to either a league 1 or championship team next season to get first team experience - he may fail like Jordan Bowery or he might do well like Calvin Lewyn who knows - he could be the next Harry Kane or he could never be seen again no one truly knows. Lets take the positives and say our academy may have produce a future England international even if he never plays for us as least then all the Sheffield boys in the current England team won't have all come from the Lane.

33 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Simple way do what other clubs do sign up to rubbish contracts with stage improved terms if they make the grade, if they don't we release sell them on, if they do we have them signed to a 2-4 year deal.

This means we don't get held to ransom each season or end up losing our best young players for tribunal fee. You would have hope with the clusterfuck that is the GH saga we would have learned but based on the signing of Joe West, Alex Hunt, Warren Clarke etc it would appear this is not going to happen over night.

You should offer your services to the club they have much to learn off you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 06/05/2018 at 12:47, timrud said:

Sean Claire would've been doing well to get on the pitch considering he's injured.

SC wants to go back down south, I respect that.

GH has acted (or been advised to) in an inappropiate way, no player is bigger than the club, so goodbye to him.

I don't get this. He's a professional footballer and moving around the country/world is part and parcel of their career. It's like a footballer complaining about working on Saturday's! I also don't recall Clare complaining about being up north when we were the ones offering him a start in his footballing career.

25 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I don't get this. He's a professional footballer and moving around the country/world is part and parcel of their career. It's like a footballer complaining about working on Saturday's! I also don't recall Clare complaining about being up north when we were the ones offering him a start in his footballing career.

I don’t know if he’s complained about it now either. It just seems to be one of those things someone said once on Owlstalk and is now becoming fact.

• Haha 1

On 06/05/2018 at 12:40, Junk Smuggler said:

Both could have been on the bench or pitch today. I think they'll both leave personally and only time will tell if that's right for them or not. If they do we move on, simple as that!

Who's bothered, you can only offer them terms then it's up to them, take it or leave it, don't wish em well cos not bothered about them once they leave us 

It's really quite simple, f**k the pair of them and anyone else who doesn't want to be at our beloved club. 

We aint got time for people who don't want to be here and think they are much bigger than they really are...

There's NO i in Team

Edited by steveger
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

I’m assuming Hirst won’t sign coz he wants to join a premier league under 23 side

Good luck to both of them, as they would have been part of a big clubs first team plans next season had they stayed 

Almost correct. :CEO:

coz his father wants him to join a premier league under 23 side

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 11:09, @owlstalk said:

#SWFC pair George Hirst and Sean Clare

Will they sign or is it game over for them at Sheffield Wednesday?

Gone already not bothered .The future is bright ,No player is bigger than our club. Arrogant attitude from the pair of them .One wants £20 k a week .Good bye good luck ,They are not owls.

They both have same agent and its possible both have been led to believe they are a more valauble asset than they actually are. The lack of announcement suggests that suitors have not been fortcomiing with revenue they exppected.

When an offer has been on table for a while to go and accept it is one hell of a climb down and this is probably a stumbling block. The club probably need to help a little (miniscule change) and indicate revised terms have been offered which would help save face for any individual involved..

Wednesday are now an excellent club for a young player to be attached to, this could not be said six months ago and view from Academy and U/23s is much clearer now than it was.

18 hours ago, room0035 said:

George Hirst is a none starter and has been from the point the club banished him from training or playing with the club. It looked when Karen came in maybe a bit of common sense was being used to integrate him back into the club only for us all to find out that DC dummy was firmly spat out and he was not allowed to play any games.

Good luck to the lad which ever Premier League team he end up at - I pray it is not Sheff Utd or Leeds Utd though - as either of these would be a massive foot in the mouth by us.

As for Clare a strange one he got his chance and I can only think he has had his head turned by his agent and Premiership interest - hopefully the club will learn it's lesson and stop signing good young players to only 1 year contracts. But noting some of the good young players coming through most seem to be getting signed on to 1 year deals so maybe we haven't learnt our lesson after all.

This time next year it could well be the same story again with them lets hope not.

If only it were you running the club.........WTF:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hougoumont said:

If only it were you running the club.........WTF:

I can guarantee a few things if I was, We would not have an over the hill squad, with players we don't need on silly salary's, I would not have 7 first team strikers for 4 places max, I would have signed G Hirst to a contract last summer when he still had 2 years left on his existing deal and would have given us the option to take additional years if he hit certain progression targets. Finally I would have a full Hillsborough as football is there for the fans but the current way of running the club prevents thousands of fans being able to attend because they cannot afford it. We have 26-27,000 most game that leave over 10,000 empty seats each game even selling these at £20 a pop would get us another £200,000 a game over a 23 game season with match day spend as well that's another £5m of income that we could be getting. 

Add to that I would have sold the corporate boxes at £20,000 for the season or a reduced by game price x 28 boxes we have that would have netted us another £500,000 that we didn't get and have not got for all the time DC has been in charge. I would have got a shirt sponsor not myself - with the going rate currently for the championship that is around the £1m mark,  I would have got a qualified store manager in tho run the superstore or i would have franchised it to a high street chain and taken 20% of the profit and I definitely would not have made the complete disaster what was the shirt being brought in house I would have signed up with a good English firm that was making our kits in the 90's and they are still going strong today and I hazard a bet I would have made more money that we end up making on the kits this season.

I am just a fan but I have a business back ground and the one thing you learn in business you cannot spend what you don't have currently as of the last accounts we are spending £20m more than we have and counting. DC can happily keep this up for as long as he wants but as we have seen with other football teams, most recently Sunderland this does not last forever.

18 minutes ago, room0035 said:

I can guarantee a few things if I was, We would not have an over the hill squad, with players we don't need on silly salary's, I would not have 7 first team strikers for 4 places max, I would have signed G Hirst to a contract last summer when he still had 2 years left on his existing deal and would have given us the option to take additional years if he hit certain progression targets. Finally I would have a full Hillsborough as football is there for the fans but the current way of running the club prevents thousands of fans being able to attend because they cannot afford it. We have 26-27,000 most game that leave over 10,000 empty seats each game even selling these at £20 a pop would get us another £200,000 a game over a 23 game season with match day spend as well that's another £5m of income that we could be getting. 

Add to that I would have sold the corporate boxes at £20,000 for the season or a reduced by game price x 28 boxes we have that would have netted us another £500,000 that we didn't get and have not got for all the time DC has been in charge. I would have got a shirt sponsor not myself - with the going rate currently for the championship that is around the £1m mark,  I would have got a qualified store manager in tho run the superstore or i would have franchised it to a high street chain and taken 20% of the profit and I definitely would not have made the complete disaster what was the shirt being brought in house I would have signed up with a good English firm that was making our kits in the 90's and they are still going strong today and I hazard a bet I would have made more money that we end up making on the kits this season.

I am just a fan but I have a business back ground and the one thing you learn in business you cannot spend what you don't have currently as of the last accounts we are spending £20m more than we have and counting. DC can happily keep this up for as long as he wants but as we have seen with other football teams, most recently Sunderland this does not last forever.

No disrespect but a lot of what you say is with hindsight. Well, here's hoping DC has hindsight as well because he seems to be here for the long run and the experience of these first three seasons should stand him in good stead in the coming ones.

10 minutes ago, Hougoumont said:

No disrespect but a lot of what you say is with hindsight. Well, here's hoping DC has hindsight as well because he seems to be here for the long run and the experience of these first three seasons should stand him in good stead in the coming ones.

A lot of what I have said is common sense, when you don't have experience of doing things you surround yourself with people who do and you learn of them hence the qualified store manager, getting shirts of a company that has been doing it for decades etc.

You forget the chairman's statements at the turn of the year he doesn't think he has done anything wrong yet, is this him trying to save face or does he sincerely believe that.

We will find out in the next 6 or 7 weeks or so, if the team report back to preseason training and we have no new kits, no new players, the wage stealers are still on the books, no preseason fixtures arrange to name a few of the things that need to be in place for June 26th just 7 weeks time then it is going to be another very long season of apathy.

I want him to prove me wrong but he has shown me nothing so far to suggest anything will be different from the last 3 years of not having a clue what he is doing. It won't be long to find out one way or the other.

3 hours ago, room0035 said:

A lot of what I have said is common sense, when you don't have experience of doing things you surround yourself with people who do and you learn of them hence the qualified store manager, getting shirts of a company that has been doing it for decades etc.

You forget the chairman's statements at the turn of the year he doesn't think he has done anything wrong yet, is this him trying to save face or does he sincerely believe that.

We will find out in the next 6 or 7 weeks or so, if the team report back to preseason training and we have no new kits, no new players, the wage stealers are still on the books, no preseason fixtures arrange to name a few of the things that need to be in place for June 26th just 7 weeks time then it is going to be another very long season of apathy.

I want him to prove me wrong but he has shown me nothing so far to suggest anything will be different from the last 3 years of not having a clue what he is doing. It won't be long to find out one way or the other.

I think you are judging him very harshly, I don't think he's a mug and now he's extracted himself from the people who only had self interest in their dealings with him, you'll now see this club as good off the field as it can be on the field with Jos in charge. Regarding your comments about George Hirst, I don't think he has ever had the intention of signing a contract with us. His father is obviously a big influence on him and also has a huge chip on his shoulder about Wednesday. Wether that's about his stated regret at not being allowed to go to ManU when he was here, or more recently about his "resignation" from his sinecure as a club ambassador I don't know, but he has persuaded his lad that his future lies elsewhere. I'll bet you that new kit will be on sale early this year and that pre season will be very intense and already planned. As for getting contracted players off the books...it's just not as easy as that unless someone wants them and is prepared to pay them their going rate, and if they are on good money here that may be difficult.

4 hours ago, room0035 said:

I agree about the over the hill squad and  players we don't need. I'm not so sure about the silly salaries, we don't have details of the salaries despite certain figures being mentioned on Owlstalk.

I understand Hirst's contract expires this summer, can you explain how you would sign him to a new contract last summer when he had 2 left on his existing one.

Your idea of filling Hillsborough is an attractive one but if we have 26,000 fans paying the current prices and you want to sell the extra 10,000 at a reduced rate wouldn't the 26,000 feel they were mugs paying top $ and insist on the same price as the lucky 10,000. So we have to discount every seat, yes we get an extra 10, 000  x£20 but we also have to give 26,000 extra discounts. I doubt we would gain £200,000 per game. The club like most businesses have found the sweet spot where the most people will pay the most money, increase prices, numbers drop, reduce prices and the extra punters don't cover the discounts to the many. Maximising income is a basic business skill, the club are very good at it.

The club has already said they were losing money on offering boxes at the previous prices, I take them at their word. Selling boxes at £20,000 per season that cost more than that to run isn't great business.

the one thing you learn in business you cannot spend what you don't have. Of course you can if you have got an owner with deep pockets, you can spend your income plus whatever FFP allows the owner to subsidise the club by. 

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 16:55, Southie_Owl said:

Ive sorted it! Sign sean clare, loan him to Carlise for half a season, then bring him back south, we get clare, he gets a move "down south". Everyones a winner.

On 08/05/2018 at 16:50, Sonny said:

Still chuckle at the Spurs/Clare link. Wonder how those talks are coming along.

Ha ha. They should table a deal and say sign it in two weeks or we will reduce the offer by a grand a week for every week that passes after that. Stamp out all this fannying about.