Will they or won't they?

41 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Hirst won't sign and clare isn't good enough to worry about.

Given the amount of first team action that both have seen you could very easily word that the other way round!

Guest Jack the Hat
4 minutes ago, Utah Owl said:

Given the amount of first team action that both have seen you could very easily word that the other way round!

True, but I'm an old sentimental and can't get away from the what ifs of him being another hirsty. There needs to be a balance of youth and experience which Carlos got wrong. Jos has adressed this - due to injuries admittedly- but we don't want to go the other way. We have enough young uns  coming through not to have to worry about clare I think.

Guest Arcadianrocket

Hirst is 19.

Why would anyone in the top 6 want him?

Anyone of any stature would have been playing regularly now.

25 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

True, but I'm an old sentimental and can't get away from the what ifs of him being another hirsty. There needs to be a balance of youth and experience which Carlos got wrong. Jos has adressed this - due to injuries admittedly- but we don't want to go the other way. We have enough young uns  coming through not to have to worry about clare I think.

Got wrong?????

He never even flipping' well looked at the youth which was unforgivable!

Everton are being linked with two Doyen managers to replace Allardyce if he his sacked. Therefore Hirst will end up at Everton if either of two being linked replace Allardyce. Seems as though Doyen are getting hooks into Everton.

18 hours ago, prowl said:

I agree about the over the hill squad and  players we don't need. I'm not so sure about the silly salaries, we don't have details of the salaries despite certain figures being mentioned on Owlstalk.

I understand Hirst's contract expires this summer, can you explain how you would sign him to a new contract last summer when he had 2 left on his existing one.

Your idea of filling Hillsborough is an attractive one but if we have 26,000 fans paying the current prices and you want to sell the extra 10,000 at a reduced rate wouldn't the 26,000 feel they were mugs paying top $ and insist on the same price as the lucky 10,000. So we have to discount every seat, yes we get an extra 10, 000  x£20 but we also have to give 26,000 extra discounts. I doubt we would gain £200,000 per game. The club like most businesses have found the sweet spot where the most people will pay the most money, increase prices, numbers drop, reduce prices and the extra punters don't cover the discounts to the many. Maximising income is a basic business skill, the club are very good at it.

The club has already said they were losing money on offering boxes at the previous prices, I take them at their word. Selling boxes at £20,000 per season that cost more than that to run isn't great business.

the one thing you learn in business you cannot spend what you don't have. Of course you can if you have got an owner with deep pockets, you can spend your income plus whatever FFP allows the owner to subsidise the club by. 

I understand what you have said prowl on the box point trust me when I tell you the mark up on the is massive.

Like it or not we are in competition with other local clubs and when Sheff Utd can offer the same service for £18,000 ours are simply over priced. The club have not learnt YET! that Corporate Boxes are not bought by fans - if they were they could charge £60,000 and some would pay it, they are bought by business trying to maximise sales and improve themselves and if two clubs in the same city are offering the same product one costs £32,500 the other cost £18,000 99% of the business in Sheffield and the surrounding area will pick the cheaper option. I do not expect The club at these prices to sell many boxes.

When they talk about there costs to run then it is basically staff at minimum wage so £8 x 2 staff x 10 a week = £160, cost of the food for 10 people £20 a head x 10 = £200, cost of electric in the box £40 a game so each game it cost the club £400 or over 23 games £9,200 call it £10,000 but they are selling the boxes at £32,000 a season how are they not making a profit.  

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 13:03, room0035 said:

I can guarantee a few things if I was, We would not have an over the hill squad, with players we don't need on silly salary's, I would not have 7 first team strikers for 4 places max, I would have signed G Hirst to a contract last summer when he still had 2 years left on his existing deal and would have given us the option to take additional years if he hit certain progression targets. Finally I would have a full Hillsborough as football is there for the fans but the current way of running the club prevents thousands of fans being able to attend because they cannot afford it. We have 26-27,000 most game that leave over 10,000 empty seats each game even selling these at £20 a pop would get us another £200,000 a game over a 23 game season with match day spend as well that's another £5m of income that we could be getting. 

Add to that I would have sold the corporate boxes at £20,000 for the season or a reduced by game price x 28 boxes we have that would have netted us another £500,000 that we didn't get and have not got for all the time DC has been in charge. I would have got a shirt sponsor not myself - with the going rate currently for the championship that is around the £1m mark,  I would have got a qualified store manager in tho run the superstore or i would have franchised it to a high street chain and taken 20% of the profit and I definitely would not have made the complete disaster what was the shirt being brought in house I would have signed up with a good English firm that was making our kits in the 90's and they are still going strong today and I hazard a bet I would have made more money that we end up making on the kits this season.

I am just a fan but I have a business back ground and the one thing you learn in business you cannot spend what you don't have currently as of the last accounts we are spending £20m more than we have and counting. DC can happily keep this up for as long as he wants but as we have seen with other football teams, most recently Sunderland this does not last forever.

Funny. This is how I'd do it; I'd make the club £1B every year. I win!

1 minute ago, DuncOwl said:

Funny. This is how I'd do it; I'd make the club £1B every year. I win!

We for years have been a family club and in tune with the community yes we have not had millions but we have had a very loyal fan base through a lot of rubbish for 20 years.

Because of prices we are alienating a big chunk of fans and what could be the next generation of fans, if promotion is not achieved next year with us yet again paying Premiership prices then people will simply drift away. It not a case of fans not wanting to go hey simply cannot afford to. Put if as fair weather fans or your not a true fan because you don't go home and away but simply this is going to have an impact in years to come.

There has to be a balance between maximising revenue and not milking the fans and I don't think we are near to it yet, it is improving but we live in Sheffield not London maybe someone should advise our Chairman of this fact.