11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He hasn’t been able to adapt his game to the demands of modern football, that’s the issue Don’t believe it’s about fitness, or even a lack of desire

The game hasn’t changed that much in 3 years

Edited by Stoop

Only have to look at how effective Nuhui was in the first half against Preston to see playing as a lone striker is not the way forward.

whether it’s Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper or whoever they need support. Forestieri isn’t that support striker and is best left in a free role 

personally I’d try and get shut of Fletcher and possibly Hooper before Rhodes only because their fitness record is terrible 

2 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Only have to look at how effective Nuhui was in the first half against Preston to see playing as a lone striker is not the way forward.

whether it’s Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper or whoever they need support. Forestieri isn’t that support striker and is best left in a free role 

personally I’d try and get shut of Fletcher and possibly Hooper before Rhodes only because their fitness record is terrible 

Which is why we need to have a striker who is happy leading the line on his own

Then we can use Forestieri or Hooper in a deeper role 

Nuhiu and Joao best suit that role, but I wouldn’t mind us adding someone who is more the finished article Those five would give us all we need

People seem to assume selling Jordan Rhodes will ease our FFP (or is it P&S) problems, it won't. We bought Rhodes on a 4 year contract for, lets say £8m. The fee is spread over the contract length so £2m a year, we have paid for 1 year so we still owe  £6m. If we sell him we have to pay off that debt, so thats £6m straight away. If we recoup that £6m all we are saving is his wages. For that reason I can't see him moving because I can't see us getting £6m for him.

2 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

People seem to assume selling Jordan Rhodes will ease our FFP (or is it P&S) problems, it won't. We bought Rhodes on a 4 year contract for, lets say £8m. The fee is spread over the contract length so £2m a year, we have paid for 1 year so we still owe  £6m. If we sell him we have to pay off that debt, so thats £6m straight away. If we recoup that £6m all we are saving is his wages. For that reason I can't see him moving because I can't see us getting £6m for him.

Having him here would just complicate things It may not ease our FFP restrictions but it will save wages, and give Rhodes the opportunity of a fresh start elsewhere

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Having him here would just complicate things It may not ease our FFP restrictions but it will save wages, and give Rhodes the opportunity of a fresh start elsewhere

I don't disagree but some people thing selling him would be the end of our financial woes. 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

He hasn’t been able to adapt his game to the demands of modern football, that’s the issue Don’t believe it’s about fitness, or even a lack of desire

You say this a lot and make it sound like he is from the era where we carry rattles and wear flat caps. He scored 16 goals two seasons ago.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

There have been suggestions on here that in January, Rhodes was lined up for a loan move to Ipswich, Fletcher was on his way to Rangers and Hooper was also on his way until injuries intervened. if true, it shows where we're at with FFP and suggests to me that there won't be a promotion push any time soon. If big offers come in for FF, Bazza and Lees, they'll no doubt be off too.

So we would have got rid of Hooper (top scorer at the time), Fletcher and Rhodes, FF was long term injured, Winnall out on loan. leaving us with Nuhiu and Joao. ?????????

Theres absolutely no way Rangers were going to get Steven Fletcher when hes on about £30-35,000 a week.

2 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

He was isolated a lot on his own. Sadly, i didnt think he did all that much to be honest. 

He was isolated alone and did admirably well IMO, it must have been a bit disheartening for him as my esteemed @casbahowl said that they fetched 2 up top on when he went off.

His general hold up play and spacial awareness was great and if we get him, hooper and fessi in the team fully fit with bazza providing the ammo we have the basis of a very good attack.

I’d love to see Jordan look the part v Wolves and Norwich, and make life even harder for Jos and DC over the Summer. 

I think we have a massive (fantastic) quandary over the Summer. A year ago most of us would have shrugged off Joao and Nuhiu leaving, but not now. They are probably the hottest partnership in the division and must start on August 11th. 

Hooper is one of the best strikers in the division. Fletcher is quality at this level, and if Jos can work on and protect their legs they can be superb for us next season. 

If Jordan can make Jos fancy him over the next two games he has one heck of a dilemma.

And that’s without mentioning Fernando, though it does appear that Jos sees him in a wider, deeper role praise the Lord.

2 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

He looked very VERY isolated on Saturday.

I still believe Jordan will score goals again at this level but it’s becomjng increasingly apparent that it won’t be here.

Given our predicament with regards to FFP and the embarrassment of riches we have to choose from in attack I can’t help but feel his days at Hillsborough are numbered.

In all fairness it’ll be best for both parties, no doubt someone will get a hell of a bargain.

Which embarrassment of riches do you mean ...sorry not being sarky...nuhiu Rhodes Lucas nando...Hooper never fit Fletcher same and Winnall...

1 minute ago, kazads said:

Which embarrassment of riches do you mean ...sorry not being sarky...nuhiu Rhodes Lucas nando...Hooper never fit Fletcher same and Winnall...

Well let's look at the bigger picture:

FF - Was obviously struggling with his knee and put off an operation due to CC asking him to hence the long term ACL injury.

SW - Had a very good injury record and was fit and firing the goals in for Derby then he did his ACL also.

SF - Was playing with a knee injury for over a season and again it caught up with him along with many others this season.

JR - Not really been injured just not clicked for him

Big Dave - Has stepped up to the mark the second half of this season and if he was under contract would command quite a decent fee just think of Madine.

Hooper - it was pretty obvious at the start of the season that he was overweight for a footballer but was still in double figures for the season until this serious injury finished him for this season.

LJ - Has been good for most of the season and is  young and fit and now wants to knuckle down and play football after a season of believing his own hype.

What all of the above boils down to is that CC was systemically responsible for not instilling the correct fitness standards at our club and the basis of all this is a lack of pre season for 3 seasons and this has sadly caught up with over half of our squad.

Think whole team look a lot sharper..Rhodes has definitely toned up in last few months and appearance now is significantly different to in December.

For the record I also thought FF looked leaner than I have ever seen him.

Jack Hunt is also showing up more in games and his contributions have become far more useful.

Think fitness and conditioning issues are now behind us.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

To an extent I agree.

But modern football existed when he was scoring 1 in 2 for Blackburn 

1 hour ago, kazads said:

Hooper never fit???

You are aware that before last season he’s never had a serious injury in his career to date right!?

We have got Hooper, Fletcher, Fessi, Nuhiu and Joao to choose from, that’s 5 decent strikers. I’d also add that if we go with the formation we did on Saturday with 1 up front we might not even need that many.

As for Winnall I could see him going too so I’ve not added him to the list of strikers.