43 minutes ago, Davidioso said:

We have a history of buying players and then completely ignoring their strengths

Stevie May, Ryan Lowe, Jordan Rhodes and Francis Jeffers spring to mind.

Not sure what Jeffers' strengths acually were, but still.....you get my drift!

Could add Nuhiu and Joao to that.. and Reach.

Took a long while and a change of manager to get the best from them.

No reason to think that same manager can't get the best from Rhodes.

51 minutes ago, Davidioso said:

We have a history of buying players and then completely ignoring their strengths

Stevie May, Ryan Lowe, Jordan Rhodes and Francis Jeffers spring to mind.

Not sure what Jeffers' strengths acually were, but still.....you get my drift!

Hopefully that won’t be the case with Jos, he seemed to get the best out of Nuhiu, Joao & Vanencio who under Carlos either barely got a game or weren’t very affective when playing, Reach also played some of his best football under Jos, fingers crossed he understands our players and there strengths more than Carlos and previous managers did. 

47 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Could add Nuhiu and Joao to that.. and Reach.

Took a long while and a change of manager to get the best from them.

No reason to think that same manager can't get the best from Rhodes.

For whatever reason it isnt working out for rhodes at hillsborough 

3 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

For whatever reason it isnt working out for rhodes at hillsborough 

For clear, explainable reasons that I've already talked about.

None of them would prevent him from starting next season and scoring frequently just as he has in the past.

Just now, cookeh said:

For clear, explainable reasons that I've already talked about.

None of them would prevent him from starting next season and scoring frequently just as he has in the past.

Jos clearly didnt think much to him he barely played him .

Just now, dan1980 said:

Rhodes been with us 15 months now and barely had a good game

2 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

Because Joao and Nuhiu were in the best form of their lives.
Had everyone been fit, the line up would not have changed.

So that's not reflection on Rhodes, it's a big plus for Joao and Nuhiu.

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

Id like it to work out for him but cant see it mate leaat affective striker we got

10 minutes ago, dan1980 said:

Id like it to work out for him but cant see it mate leaat affective striker we got

Again, he's not been effective for a reason.. ah well. you've read it already, so.. agree to disagree or something.

Guest Arcadianrocket
6 hours ago, cookeh said:

That's silly on it's face. The world hasn't changed in 2 years, and 2 yearsa go he was scoring the goals that got Boro promoted and banging them in for Blackburn in the early part of the season. For us he's scored when he's had actual time on the pitch, instead of carlos' "have 20 minutes".

Under Carlos last season, in games Rhodes played more than an hour for us he scored a goal ever 2 games, even with our injuries, defensive mindset and poor supply. That's just a straight up fact.

Under Jos he hardly played, barely 300 minutes from the 20th of January to the end of the season. Joao and Nuhiu were at it, so Rhodes couldn't get a start.

He's effective at this level, even when we've got half the first team out and aren't set up to suit him.

In a 343 he's probably not as effective as Nuhiu (assuming his form continues), and that's fair enough.
When you have 8 forwards on the books, chances are, no one will be the strongest in every system.

3 up top suits Joao, Nuhiu/Fletch and Nando.
However, we could even play a 343 variant where the width really come from the wingbacks (instead of wingbacks and wide forwards) and we deploy Nando in a the hole behind 2 strikers. There, Rhodes would flourish.

352, which we played for the majority under Jos, is another question. In that set up, along side Nuhiu or Fletch, Rhodes is probably the best player we have. There's a case for Hooper, but age, contract and injury record mean he's not someone we should be making plans around. A 2 isn't really dynamic enough to get the best from Joao, tho he's probably adequate if needed, and Nando's shown a bunch of times that he's not a good partner for anyone in a front 2.

We've said countless times we need a plan b, Jos has also said he wants to be able to go into games with different systems. So for me, we need to be able to play a front 3 and a front 2 with maximum effectiveness. To that end, we need to hang onto Rhodes, Nuhiu, Nando, Joao and probably Fletch. A fit Matias would be really good for keeping Nando and Joao at their best. So the guys who end up surplus are Hooper (who we should be looking to move anyway) and Winnall (who is hopefully on his way as soon as he's fit).

Rhodes is only 28, and has a 2 years left on his contract. We should be making the best of having him, driving his price back up at the very least. Selling him now in a cut price deal is pure folly and would be going back to running the club like a bunch of clowns. I think there's a section of Wednesday fans who have a problem with players who cost money. Reach got pelters for costing 4-5m, until he was used halfway sensibly and showed that he's actually a decent player. Rhodes hasn't actually had the chance to show that, he's been misused since day 1. Accepting that it's 2018 and some players cost money would help. But anyway, at worst we give up and loan him out to let him shine for someone else, then cash in once he's shown he's still got it. At best we get behind him, play him (because he will score goals) and those goals will carry us to the right end of the table.

Guru's persistence with this myth that football has been revolutionised in the last 2 years is just silly.

He seems to have made it up with the sole purpose of trying to convince people that Rhodes is a bad striker.

It's utterly ridiculous.

I disagree football has changed massively.

The answer is a lot simpler then many want to believe. I wonder if Chelsea fans kept telling themselves Torres wasnt past it.

We’ve got too many strikers , as much as I wanted/want rhodes to work out , we have Hooper,Joao,Nuihu, FF all infront of him at this moment in time. You also have Fletcher and winnall(probably sell him to be honest ). IF rhodes, Winnall and Fletcher were to all leave with potentially 1/2 of those on loan with a recall option I wouldn’t be too suprised

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Again, he's not been effective for a reason.. ah well. you've read it already, so.. agree to disagree or something.

He been under 2 different managers now and not been good enough under either

If someone comes in for him, then we'd be crazy not to sell. 

He's on big money and I imagine we are still paying off his transfer fee. 

Absolute no brainer. 

He might have been a good player in the past and a nice bloke to boot - but he has been a complete flop since signing and is way, way down the pecking order. 

Guest Ash76
8 hours ago, CLswfc said:

I don't get this persistence with Rhodes that 'He'll come good' 

It's because they don't want to be wrong about him

Let's be fair, if we are having to look to sell because of FFP, then the signing of Jordan Rhodes for a reported 8 - 10 million in January, is when things started to go t*ts up. 

This is all said with a massive dose of hindsight, but the bloke has been an absolute flop. 

Furthermore - we didn't need him! 

18 hours ago, dnhc said:

i'm not sure 'everyone else was scoring at a decent rate', unless it was a 'decent rate' for a side dwelling too long on the ball and showing no urgency at getting it forward.

LAST 2 SEASONS (SWFC ONLY)

MINUTES PER GOAL, LEAGUE GAMES

Nuhiu                 167

Forestieri            190

Hooper               211

Winnall               250

Fletcher              252

Joao                   262

Clare                  349

Rhodes               370

Lee                     425

5 hours ago, cookeh said:

For his first three months at the club, Luhukay had only 3 fit strikers with any experience. After rotating them all for a while, he settled on the two that were working and Rhodes got little action after that. He was even an unused substitute a number of times which is quite remarkable under those circumstances. When Forestieri returned, his playing time reduced further still. The manager was clearly thoroughly unimpressed. He clearly wasn't preoccupied with statistics from three years ago that have little bearing on his performances for us these last 18 months.