Swansea City 2 : 0 Sheffield Wednesday OMDT (FA Cup replay)

The Football Association Challenge Cup

5th Round Replay

No automatic alt text available.
Swansea City - V - The Wednesday
8:05pm Tuesday 27th February
The Liberty Stadium  

Back in Cup action tonight as we travel to Wales to take on Premier League Swansea. The draw having already been made for the next round both team options are appealing. The chance to play a Rochdale side with games coming thick and fast and giving us a great opportunity to get to the Semi or Spurs...which would give us the chance, barmy as football is these days, to go into it a genuine underdogs with no pressure. And players with no pressure. That goes a long way in a competition like this. 

I must say that I don't agree with many people this week who have had a little of a 'F*ck the cup, we're fighting for our lives here' attitude. We are obviously in a real scrap in the division.and we all want to stay in the division.  But I do think that putting a decent side out in this game and getting a run would create a real buzz. Not just among the fanbase but amongst the players. They might be removed as can be from the fans in terms of lifestyle, but they will feel the same buzz knowing their is a potential Quarter final around the corner and in a round about way I'm sure that will create its own buzz out there on the training ground. 

I for one hope that we really go for it. Even if that does mean a few of the lads from Saturday have to play again. 

And of course. Though many people think that any chance will have drifted away in the home fixture and see that as our best chance gone, it's worth remembering that whilst we have Bristol City on Saturday Swansea have got a home game against a West Ham side with just 1 win in 5 and who they will be desperately want to beat in their own fight for survival. So I don't think the home 'advantage' is going to be as big as perhaps some of us think it is. 

TEAMS 

Swansea

Andre Ayew and Andy King are both cup-tied and Swansea's manager has already said in his press that he  plans to rotate his squad again with Premier League survival his absolute priority. Leon Brittan will play after being out since the 31st of October. 

Wednesday

Wednesday will again turn to Cameron Dawson in goal and there is a possibility that Almen Abdi might make the squad after playing for the U23's in the week and coming through unscathed in a game where he scored from the spot and set up young George Hirst for Wednesdays second. 

Liam Palmer looks likely to come in at RWB. With Clare and Stobbs cup-tied it's likely that Jones and Butterfield will be in midfield contention also.

And Rhodes is now over the worst of his illness and will more than likely replace Nuhiu or Joao up top. Probably too soon for Hirst. 

Personally, as much as I love the big man I'd keep Joao in as I do think that pace on the counter is going to be the thing that might just get us over the line.

Skipper Loovens is also back in contention and if he starts it'll be either Boyd or Fox at LWB depending on how we set it up. 

MATCH FACTS

• Sheffield Wednesday are unbeaten in their last four trips to Swansea in all competitions, though their last two visits have ended level.

• Swansea are the first Premier League side to be taken to FA Cup replays in the third, fourth and fifth rounds since Middlesbrough 2007.

• The Swans won five of their last six FA Cup replays at the Liberty Stadium, with two of those wins coming this season against Wolves and Notts County.

• In contrast, the Owls have been eliminated from five of their last seven FA Cup replays played away from Hillsborough, losing most recently to Milton Keynes Dons in January 2013.

• Swansea have won five successive home games in all competitions for the first time since September 2010; they last won six in a row at the Liberty Stadium in December 2007.

• Sheffield Wednesday have won just two of their last 17 away games in all competitions, scoring just twice in their last six.

• In fact, Joel Pelupessy's goal against Millwall in their last away game was their first non-penalty goal on the road since 26th December.

• Tammy Abraham has been directly involved in six goals in his last five starts at the Liberty Stadium in all competitions (four goals, two assists) - though four of those involvements came against Notts County in the last round (two goals, two assists).

Image result for weather warning

If your going to the game, and we do have fantastic away support, even when it's on the box, please remember that whilst Wales looks like avoiding the worst of it it might be more the case you have trouble getting off your own drives!  Be careful out there Owls we want you all there and back safely. 

-------------------------------------

So come on lads. Forget about the League for 24 hours. Lets get down there and give it a right good go against that swarthy lot. Because while the odds are stacked against it , funny things can happen in this magnificent old competition.  Every game, is a game closer to making your names legend.

COME ON WEDNESDAY

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

I can't help but think we missed our big chance last time.

2 v 0  

A biting cold night. Not a night for the the namby-pamby Premier League pampered blouses. No. They'll be hiding in the dressing room as long as they can with their snoods on. And and thermals. Making sure their gloves have been on the radiators.   It'll suit someone like Jones down to the ground. A good old fashioned looking player.  No oil painting. He'll be out there loving it. Kicking people in the snow. Marvelous. 

1-2 Wednesday!

1 minute ago, ReginaldD said:

I'm calling it now I think we'll see Hirst in the match day squad.

Hopefully he gets a run out.

Got to pressmue Rhodes will start and one of Joao or Nuhiu will be 'rested' to the bench. Not going to be as simple as them playing half each with Bristol on the horizon. 

Could there be a sneaky chance for young George?

Been out the game 8 months, but look lively in the week and looked no less sharp in the lids than many of his team mates. 

It's out outside punt but it might be worth a quid. 

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Got to pressmue Rhodes will start and one of Joao or Nuhiu will be 'rested' to the bench. Not going to be as simple as them playing half each with Bristol on the horizon. 

Could there be a sneaky chance for young George?

Been out the game 8 months, but look lively in the week and looked no less sharp in the lids than many of his team mates. 

It's out outside punt but it might be worth a quid. 

Indeed and with Jos so keen to rest the established first team players as per last Tuesday and his recent record of bringing in young players Hirst to score at any time sounds rather appealing.

20 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The Football Association Challenge Cup

5th Round Replay

Swansea City - V - The Wednesday
8:05pm Tuesday 27th February
The Liberty Stadium  

Back in Cup action tonight as we travel to Wales to take on Premier League Swansea. The draw having already been made for the next round both team options are appealing. The chance to play a Rochdale side with games coming thick and fast and giving us a great opportunity to get to the Semi or Spurs...which would give us the chance, barmy as football is these days, to go into it a genuine underdogs with no pressure. And players with no pressure. That goes a long way in a competition like this. 

I must say that I don't agree with many people this week who have had a little of a 'F*ck the cup, we're fighting for our lives here' attitude. We are obviously in a real scrap in the division.and we all want to stay in the division.  But I do think that putting a decent side out in this game and getting a run would create a real buzz. Not just among the fanbase but amongst the players. They might be removed as can be from the fans in terms of lifestyle, but they will feel the same buzz knowing their is a potential Quarter final around the corner and in a round about way I'm sure that will create its own buzz out there on the training ground. 

I for one hope that we really go for it. Even if that does mean a few of the lads from Saturday have to play again. 

And of course. Though many people think that any chance will have drifted away in the home fixture and see that as our best chance gone, it's worth remembering that whilst we have Bristol City on Saturday Swansea have got a home game against a West Ham side with just 1 win in 5 and who they will be desperately want to beat in their own fight for survival. So I don't think the home 'advantage' is going to be as big as perhaps some of us think it is. 

TEAMS 

Swansea

Andre Ayew and Andy King are both cup-tied and Swansea's manager has already said in his press that he  plans to rotate his squad again with Premier League survival his absolute priority. Leon Brittan will play after being out since the 31st of October. 

Wednesday

Wednesday will again turn to Cameron Dawson in goal and there is a possibility that Almen Abdi might make the squad after playing for the U23's in the week and coming through unscathed in a game where he scored from the spot and set up young George Hirst for Wednesdays second. 

Liam Palmer looks likely to come in at RWB. With Clare and Stobbs cup-tied it's likely that Jones and Butterfield will be in midfield contention also.

And Rhodes is now over the worst of his illness and will more than likely replace Nuhiu or Joao up top. Probably too soon for Hirst. 

Personally, as much as I love the big man I'd keep Joao in as I do think that pace on the counter is going to be the thing that might just get us over the line.

Skipper Loovens is also back in contention and if he starts it'll be either Boyd or Fox at LWB depending on how we set it up. 

MATCH FACTS

• Sheffield Wednesday are unbeaten in their last four trips to Swansea in all competitions, though their last two visits have ended level.

• Swansea are the first Premier League side to be taken to FA Cup replays in the third, fourth and fifth rounds since Middlesbrough 2007.

• The Swans won five of their last six FA Cup replays at the Liberty Stadium, with two of those wins coming this season against Wolves and Notts County.

• In contrast, the Owls have been eliminated from five of their last seven FA Cup replays played away from Hillsborough, losing most recently to Milton Keynes Dons in January 2013.

• Swansea have won five successive home games in all competitions for the first time since September 2010; they last won six in a row at the Liberty Stadium in December 2007.

• Sheffield Wednesday have won just two of their last 17 away games in all competitions, scoring just twice in their last six.

• In fact, Joel Pelupessy's goal against Millwall in their last away game was their first non-penalty goal on the road since 26th December.

• Tammy Abraham has been directly involved in six goals in his last five starts at the Liberty Stadium in all competitions (four goals, two assists) - though four of those involvements came against Notts County in the last round (two goals, two assists).

Image result for weather warning

If your going to the game, and we do have fantastic away support, even when it's on the box, please remember that whilst Wales looks like avoiding the worst of it it might be more the case you have trouble getting off your own drives!  Be careful out there Owls we want you all there and back safely. 

-------------------------------------

So come on lads. Forget about the League for 24 hours. Lets get down there and give it a right good go against that swarthy lot. Because while the odds are stacked against it , funny things can happen in this magnificent old competition.  Every game, is a game closer to making your names legend.

COME ON WEDNESDAY

Where's Adam Reach M'lud

I'll be bold and go for a 2-1 away win:luhukay:

hopefully Joao & Rhodes up top with young Hirst on bench 

Rather see a back 3 of Venancio Pudil Fox but hey ho 

C'mon Wednesday quarter finals are looming, forget the league & enjoy it - that's players AND fans

Safe journey all who travelling - don't forget the thermals!!

Really looking forward to this...especially as I live 'down here' and am off to the game with a mob of my Swans mates so it should be a laugh one way or another. Carlos will be resting just about a whole team so I reckon we've still got a decent chance of getting thro whoever makes our team tonight!! Take care travelling Owls...

Much as we've been struggling to field a starting XI that doesn't look decidedly makeshift/improvised, I've been valuing this little cup run for the combination of confidence boost and increasing match fitness it's offered a few of the lads, as well as the opportunity for Jos to learn more about his squad and to experiment a bit with plan Bs and Cs away from the relentless pressure cooker atmosphere of securing Champ safety. With us even struggling to find sufficient opportunity to train as a group between league fixtures, it's looking more and more like a badly needed team bonding & growth exercise, and for that alone I'd love it to continue. Swansea would be a great scalp for our lads and one that's well within their reach if they all turn up and fight for it.

I'm going for a breathless scrappy 2-2 with one side clinching it in the dying minutes of second half extra time. Let's hope it's us.

COME ON THE WEDNESDAY, PLAY UP BOYS!