Lucas Joao

Jim

27 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

In the two years where he's been cast aside for players not as good as him, been shipped out to Blackburn and played out of position in bit part cameo roles?

Nope, in the two years where Joao was potentially one of the hottest emerging talents in the Championship after some exceptional performances and his debut for the senior national team. Unfortunately, instead of building on that and knuckling down he lost form and was deservedly dropped for much more consistent options up front, I think the phrase from Carlos was 'his head is in the clouds' around that time. You learn a lot about a player once they are out of a side, and we hardly saw him again since, both Joao and Carlos are the ones to speak to about why that is. 

To be fair to Joao he did go out to Blackburn when many players would just sit and collect their wages, so credit to him for that. Although the fact he started only 3 of his 13 apps for them shows it didn't go too well at a very poor side. 

How is that an environment for a potentially special talent to thrive and improve?!

It isn't, but nor is any side that is gunning for promotion. If he had been playing for a team lower down the division with less pressure and ambition he would have had more time to 'develop', but that isn't the case here and we shouldn't apologise for it.

Surely you can see, that the Joao we've seen recently, when given a run of games in his natural position, is someone worth cherishing and investing in?!

I agree but not to the detriment of the overall ambitions of the side, he has to grasp the opportunity. If he is not preforming and there's a Fletcher, Fernando, Rhodes or Hooper waiting in the wings then we can't wait around if we have genuine ambitions for promotion next season. It is down to Joao now, he's had his place in the side, made the headlines, gone a bit off the rails into the wilderness, but thanks to our decimated squad he's got another chance and at the moment he's grasping it. With only one year left on his contract it is down to him to see if he wants to be a mid-table Championship luxury player or a player who could potentially perform in the Premier League and for his country. 

Always thought that Lucas had potential,in the past hes not had much game time,but hes grasped the opportunity this term.

At times I think his feet think too quick for him lolHes a real handfull for defenders,has a good turn of pace and very tricky with the ball at his feet,be nice to see FF at the side of him.

Joao has a nasty habit of only turning up for one out of every four games.

He'll play one and look like one of the top strikers in the league, then he'll be invisible in the following game.

I like to see him used as an impact sub, because he just isn't reliable enough to start (certainly not when we have Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Rhodes, and even Big Dave competing for time). I'd unequivocally start Nuhiu every game over him - at least you know he'll be putting a shift in and working hard out there

5 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

One of the very few plus points to come out of this season 

What about Reach?.. His performances and running rate second to none.. Playing in a position that's seems to suit him better (and the team) under Jos.    Admittedly he is still suspect a bit suspect in the tackle (but then I would be if I had legs about about 50mm in diameter)! 

5 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Joao has a nasty habit of only turning up for one out of every four games.

He'll play one and look like one of the top strikers in the league, then he'll be invisible in the following game.

I like to see him used as an impact sub, because he just isn't reliable enough to start (certainly not when we have Fletcher, Hooper, FF, Rhodes, and even Big Dave competing for time). I'd unequivocally start Nuhiu every game over him - at least you know he'll be putting a shift in and working hard out there

I disagree .

Firstly Joao has something the others don’t and that is pace.

He also has more all round ability than any of them . He can play with the ball to feet, stretching the back four and is a threat in the air. 

That was a fantastic header yesterday.

Every striker we have has good and bad games it is  just that in the past Carlos played people on one leg rather than give Joao a run of games. It is impossible to perform consistently without a run of games.

It is difficult being a striker, especially in the weakened team like we have at the moment and he doing all we could ask of him.

43 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I disagree .

Firstly Joao has something the others don’t and that is pace.

He also has more all round ability than any of them . He can play with the ball to feet, stretching the back four and is a threat in the air. 

That was a fantastic header yesterday.

Every striker we have has good and bad games it is  just that in the past Carlos played people on one leg rather than give Joao a run of games. It is impossible to perform consistently without a run of games.

It is difficult being a striker, especially in the weakened team like we have at the moment and he doing all we could ask of him.

Bit of a "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it" type moment, and I don't mean to get too philosophical but:

If a striker has more pace and better all-around ability but doesn't demonstrate it reliably in the games; do we still give a damn?

Players go through runs of good and bad form of course, but he seems to be a particularly inconsistent player.

I guess if nothing else, this should be his time to shine and get his games in (so long as the skipper can be bothered to put a striker or two in the lineup, I suppose!)

Edited by Indoor Owl

8 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Bit of a "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it" type moment, and I don't mean to get too philosophical but:

If a striker has more pace and better all-around ability but doesn't demonstrate it reliably in the games; do we still give a damn?

Players go through runs of good and bad form of course, but he seems to be a particularly inconsistent player.

I guess if nothing else, this should be his time to shine and get his games in (so long as the skipper can be bothered to put a striker or two in the lineup, I suppose!)

I would love to see him playing with someone on his wavelength, someone like Forestieri The movement would be something to behold, rather than playing with a load of statues

6 hours ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

There is no doubting his ability...he just needs to apply himself every week. He as quite often looked disinterested and been inconsistent. If he finds that consistency we are laughing. 

If he finds that consistency we are laughing. Agreed we will be Millions in.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
4 hours ago, Owls2k said:

People have been saying that for 2 years. 

But recently he's started to look the part more consistently. Good signs.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
35 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

1 hour ago, fingyfop said:

He's been consistently good since he came back in the team, long may it continue, him and Hooper upfront would work excellently I think/hope

Some won't see it but he's looked good alongside Nuhiu.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc