Lucas Joao

Jim

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

He’s always looked more the part than one particularly expensive striker, who’s name I won’t mention

To be fair Joao hadn't previously really looked the part very often apart from the very early stages. Decision making and apparent lack of appetite for the challenge too often lacking until Jos took over. That other striker looked to be forming a decent partnership too until his illness and I'm not writing him off yet either nor Nuhiu. Both have hard core critics who will never see any good in them however.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

The things that people have doubted most about Joao are strength and decision making. Consistency has also been mentioned a lot but I think this comes with a run of games and we are starting to see an improvement in that respect too.

In these last few games we have seen Joao's improved strength and ball retention. He outmuscled Bamba, Manga and Morrison against Cardiff. He did similar against Derby and yesterday.against Villa.

We've also seen him combine well with Nuhiu, Rhodes and briefly with Matias against Cardiff.

If he continues in this vein he will be a regular next season in a team challenging for promotion not just a mid table team.

Lets not forget the other major positives to come out of this adversity are Wildsmith, Dawson, Thorniley, Pudil, Clare, and Reach who have exceeded expectations these last few weeks.

Honourable mentions must also go to Venancio and Pelupessy for slotting in so well. Matias has shown he can still make an impact for us. Nuhiu has not surprisingly given his all and got me thinking that he may be worth another year. Not that I'm saying I would be too disappointed if not. I think he deserves a mention nonetheless.

16 minutes ago, the mighty wednesday said:

The things that people have doubted most about Joao are strength and decision making. Consistency has also been mentioned a lot but I think this comes with a run of games and we are starting to see an improvement in that respect too.

In these last few games we have seen Joao's improved strength and ball retention. He outmuscled Bamba, Manga and Morrison against Cardiff. He did similar against Derby and yesterday.against Villa.

We've also seen him combine well with Nuhiu, Rhodes and briefly with Matias against Cardiff.

If he continues in this vein he will be a regular next season in a team challenging for promotion not just a mid table team.

Lets not forget the other major positives to come out of this adversity are Wildsmith, Dawson, Thorniley, Pudil, Clare, and Reach who have exceeded expectations these last few weeks.

Honourable mentions must also go to Venancio and Pelupessy for slotting in so well. Matias has shown he can still make an impact for us. Nuhiu has not surprisingly given his all and got me thinking that he may be worth another year. Not that I'm saying I would be too disappointed if not. I think he deserves a mention nonetheless.

yeah, agree.

Get this nightmare season out of the way and I honestly believe next season we'll prosper.

5 hours ago, oldishowl said:

Last two home games Joao has frightened two very experienced back fours to death and scored 3 very good goals.

All goals were different, a cool accurate finish, a rasping 25 yarder and a brilliant header.

He has everything to be a very good striker, just needs game time and patience while his confidence and decision making improves.

We are already seeing better performances than a month ago

He needs to play regularly as you say. IMO he should start the next 10 games as the main striker. We should be patient if he has his ups and downs and should judge him after a decent run. I believe he would flourish without being continually dropped and recalled.