Lucas Joao

Jim

Joao's done well but for me if we're challenging at the top of the division next season then Joao will be playing a bit part role at best. 

If we're mid table fodder I can see him playing ever week. 

Edited by Owls2k

We have to make him our focal point next season.

He's such a special talent. Unpredictable, creative, quick, strong in the air, score goals. He has everything the complete modern striker needs.

We have to take full advantage of this situation, and allow him to be our main man. 

Under Carlos he was managed so poorly, and lad didn't know whether he was coming or going. He's had to start from square one again this season, but he's kept plugging away, and is now one of our key players.

Joao is capable of improving further, and playing at the very top. He'll either have that opportunity with us (if we sort things out) or we'll get a lot of money for the lad. If Joao plays in 40 Championship games next season, he scores 15-20 goals. Any 24 year old who scores that amount of goals in the Championship is worth a fortune. 

Wednesday need to recognise the special talent they potentially have in front of them...and I include Clare, Reach, Wildsmith, Dawson and even maybe Hirst in that. They don't need to bring in players who are no better than them, and cast them aside. Time to make them core squad members, and develop them. 

He needs to feed off Clare and be more consistent...he was unplayable in the first half but disappeared second half...sure they will have cut off supply to him 2nd half but he needs to drag them into bad places then go at them...its all in his head with Joao...he needs to grow step by step week after week...and yes he needs a run of games

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 hour ago, Owls2k said:

Joao's done well but for me if we're challenging at the top of the division next season then Joao will be playing a bit part role at best. 

If we're mid table fodder I can see him playing ever week. 

Not sure I agree. Consistency and decision making have restricted him but these can be worked on. He has what it takes. It's in his hands.

1 hour ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Not sure I agree. Consistency and decision making have restricted him but these can be worked on. He has what it takes. It's in his hands.

People have been saying that for 2 years. 

Edited by Owls2k

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Most are spot on, I’ve always been a champion of Lucas Joao, and I’m pleased that Jos has started giving him opportunities Why an earth we brought in the likes of Fletcher, Rhodes and Winnall, I’ll never know

:manager:

14 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

People have been saying that for 2 years. 

In the two years where he's been cast aside for players not as good as him, been shipped out to Blackburn and played out of position in bit part cameo roles?

How is that an environment for a potentially special talent to thrive and improve?!

Surely you can see, that the Joao we've seen recently, when given a run of games in his natural position, is someone worth cherishing and investing in?!

Defo a good player in there, but as others have said - his decision making and application at times is not always good enough.

He has all the attributes required to make himself a very good player, at least at this level. But that's only going to happen if he is coached right and if hes prepared to take the advice on board and learn. He needs to make that move from a player with 'potential' to a player we can steadily rely on week in and week out. Realistically, promotion chasing teams (which is where we plan to be) don't carry 24-25 yr olds in their squads under the tag of being a potential talent, that's reserved for the likes of your S Clare's and G Hirst breaking through at 18-21.

I really do want to see Joao succeed with us and i hope he can, but he needs now to become the good championship player he has shown flashes of being and step away from being tagged a player who might have some 'potential'. As long as we stay up this season, he probably has the rest of the season to show that he can be a real asset to us. If he cant do this, I would look to unload him and spend the time on G Hirst as our striker with 'potential' for next season.

Last two home games Joao has frightened two very experienced back fours to death and scored 3 very good goals.

All goals were different, a cool accurate finish, a rasping 25 yarder and a brilliant header.

He has everything to be a very good striker, just needs game time and patience while his confidence and decision making improves.

We are already seeing better performances than a month ago