Relegation battle

COULD be a low drop threshold this season.

Here's the position of the bottom 10, with projections based on ppg over the season so far.

bottom10.jpg.9bbb4d436dd2edfd4199e0e7ff16d730.jpg

That flatters us though because of our awful form since October (4 wins in 5 months).

Continuation of form over last 15 games would see us finish on 48 points.

Continuation of form under Jos (7 from 7) would see us finish on 50.

A slump from us or a late surge from those below us could still see us dragged into it.

There's still a way to go.

• Thanks 2

For the first time this season I am getting worried about getting dragged into a scrap, I still cant see us going down but I was counting on at least some of the first team being back by now - worrying, not quit as worrying as not playing a striker last night though - very strange.

2 hours ago, steelowl said:

cannot understand why some are refusing to accept the position we are sliding into and have been for a long time

The squad Jos has left may get thinner as we've seen last night hence his over caution 

Hopefully it will be teams below that save us 

cannot wait for this shocker of a season to finish 

Yes there's been a slide from the start of the season but the ship is now steadied.

Talking relegation really helps morale doesn't it !!!!

We have players coming back in the next couple of weeks.

Last 5 matches:

Owls 5 points and a lot better goal average than those around and below.

Leeds 2

Notts Forest (in freefall) 2

Hull 4

Dingles 1

Sunderland 1

relegation ffs .....................

8 hours ago, ElsecarOwl said:

Why the hell are we even talking about a relegation battle.

Have faith, there's some real crap below us.

And there is our salvation....

Brum, Reading, Ull, Dingles and the Mackems are all worse than us. We will stay up not so much because we deserve to but that 4-5 other sides deserve it even less.

In a season of negatives the best thing is that there are other worst sides!

2 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Here's the position of the bottom 10, with projections based on ppg over the season so far.

That flatters us though because of our awful form since October (4 wins in 5 months).

A slump from us or a late surge from those below us could still see us dragged into it.

This is interesting thanks.

i’ve said we need 3 wins and 3 draws, so 12 points. So it’s good to see that if we continued our form for the last 15 games (which is pretty rubbish), we would still get enough points. 

I think we just have to be patient and not let defeats with this decimated squad get us down. There’s still half a dozen games where we can realistically  get points from this season 

Edited by Southie_Owl

23 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

This is interesting thanks.

i’ve said we need 3 wins and 3 draws, so 12 points. So it’s good to see that if we continued our form for the last 15 games (which is pretty rubbish), we would still get enough points. 

I think we just have to be patient and not let defeats with this decimated squad get us down. There’s still half a dozen games where we can get points this season 

Yes, if we can continue our dismal form we should be just about OK.

Can't take anything for granted though. 

A loss of 'form', more players to injury or confidence could see it getting too close for comfort

There also always seems to be one or two that look dead and buried that find a bit of fight from somewhere and climb out of it

We are in a relegation fight for sure. Any team that loses by three goals at home to Burton, and is beaten by Birmingham at home (who got hammered 5-0 last night) can not be assured of getting a point a game over the rest of the season to reach the 50 points mark. Given our incredibly bad record against teams below us that gap between us and the relegation zone will disappear if we do not start winning such six-pointers.

4 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

I think 46 points will be needed this year. Not sure why.

There is always a team that puts a run together and also a team that hits a terrible run.

Still think Brum could be in the Bottom 3

4 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

If we get a point a game from now to end of season we will be comfortably be above relegation.

If we go down from here we only have ourselves to blame.

If we go down from here then JL has messed us up big time. He has had half a season to keep us safe, however if he continues like last night then we are in serious trouble. Fingers crossed its a one off !

4 hours ago, Owling Wolfe said:

Burton are 3rd from bottom on 29pts, we are on 37 pts. We will still be 8pts above the last spot regardless of Hull's result.

There's five teams below us that are currently averaging less than 1 point per game, so if, as I accept that its a big IF. things stay as they are, then 46 points should be enough to keep us up.