Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

He must be looking OK in training during the week or our new gaffer wouldn't keep putting him in 

Yes he's been disappointing but this seasons a write off now so lets get behind the lad encourage him every time he gets the ball even If he fluffs his lines and lets do our bit to get him back on track for next year 

11 minutes ago, vulture_squadron said:

Apologies if Pope posted this but think it hits the nail on the head.

http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=518720

We need to get the lad scoring nkw simple as. If we try to flog him now we risk bankrupting ourselves as no one will pay a good price. Seems to me him and Joao are starting to get chances now and setting each other up. Yeah they blew it against Cardiff but hopefully their partnership will improve. At the moment we're not looking like relegation fodder so let's show some faith and try to stay positive.

Disagree slightly as I think we are in a relegation battle, and although I think we should keep Rhodes and work on his confidence, I think we badly need another striker to join to help in our fight against relegation. If, the likes of Hooper, Fletcher, Forestieri are all going to be missing for another month or more.

Im getting a little disillusioned whenever Nuhiu is being brought on as I feel he’s a bit of a game stopper. 

If Jos can find a decent striker in Germany or Holland I would welcome it. 

Edited by Southie_Owl

On 20/01/2018 at 19:23, @owlstalk said:

He'll come good

Just needs a goal and a bit of patience from the fans as he learns the new tactics from Jos

How long we been saying that? He's had a decent run & missed bags of chances! If he contributed in other ways it'd be easier to accept. I hope he does come good but I doubt it'll happen

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

For starters, how much did Joao cost. Rhodes was brought in purely for his goal scoring record at previous clubs. The fact is that he isn't scoring and that poses a serious problem to Wednesday after investing an hefty amount in him. Transfer cost, wages and length of contract. It doesn't matter what the likes of Joao etc are doing around him, its what Rhodes isn't doing and he as no where near started to pay off for the invested Wednesday have put into it for him and no sign whatsoever he will.. Go ahead folks neg away, but can anyone give a good case for Rhodes and the future with him. All those who have negged me in previous posts about him still haven't come up with a counter argument.

We here the same old claptrap about we are not playing to his strengths etc etc. What is his strengths because I really cant see any. What I can see is gilt edge opportunities being missed on a match by match basis. Please correct if I'm wrong, but in Wednesday's current position, does anyone on here think we can afford such luxury. I suppose at the end of the day he probably is a nice chap, and applauds the fans and the sub who generally comes on for him. Be nice to see a few goals from our record signing. By the way pal, just because I have an opinion on Rhodes doesn't mean I have an agenda. What do you mean by 'paying attention' Don't get that part.

Mentioning Joao is perfectly valid, because if Hooper was fit and on the end of those two chances that Joao had, then we'd have 2 goals. They were simple, 'score in your sleep' type chances, and had they been scored then Rhodes comes away from the game with 2 assist and you can't make your salty posts. Judge Rhodes for what he does in the game. He can't make Joao scored those chances, but Joao really should have done so.

If you want someone to make the case for Rhodes, then I'm perfectly happy to.

1) Rhodes hasn't had much of an opportunity this season (but when he has he's scored).

If you look at the games under Carlos this season, Rhodes was mostly used as a substitute.

He played over an hour in just 8 games and scored 5 goals in those 8 games.

Isn't that exactly the sort of return you'd want from him, that's heading for 30 goals a season if he did it over 46 games.

That Rhodes plays well when he starts and poorly when he is a sub is painfully obvious.

Some will complain "but he's played 27 games this season"..

and sure, he has played IN 27 games this season. but 10 of those were for about 20 minutes or less.

To give you a real idea of how little Rhodes has actually played, Hooper has been out for a month and has still spent 45% more time on the pitch than Rhodes has.

So, you think he's played a lot. He hasn't. But he's scored goals when he has.

2) Selling Rhodes now is foolish.

Getting rid of Rhodes now would be ridiculous. We have a new manager and a new start for everyone. Joao suddenly looks a better team player than he was before. Matias looks like he might be a dangerous player and should maybe be starting. Fox doesn't look like he's never seen a football before. Venancio looks like an accomplished defender. Pudil looks a pretty decent core in central defence. Jones looks sharper and much more involved. All these players have improved under Jos, I would argue Rhodes has as well (bearing in mind the two easy goals he set up on Saturday), and there is doubtless more to come from all these players as the squad gets back to fitness and we adopt a more attacking system/personnel rather than just using the dozen players available to try and stop the rot. Rhodes has proved at other clubs, under other managers, that he can bang goals in for fun. Carlos and Rhodes wasn't a good match. Jos seems like a very different guy from Carlos, so let's see if he can get the most from Rhodes. If he's only scored 2 goals between now and the summer I might see a case for selling. Not now tho.

3) Performances under Jos.

Under Jos, we've been playing a very defensive formation, with the players cobbled together from what was available. As i recall Jos said we had 13 fit senior players recently. That's not going to make for cohesive attacking football. The supply to the front men has been pretty poor in the 2 league games.

Still, Rhodes has been working hard and offering, even making things happen himself then the opportunity presents itself.

If you want the United highlights, Rhodes makes a great run across the centerbacks when Palmer cuts in-field. Palmer doesn't use him tho and slots it sideways to Reach who tries to score from 25 yards. Perhaps it's left over from Carlos, but we seem to have this culture of shooting from distance, looking for a worldy, which rarely comes off. Joao, Pudil and Wallace also opt to shoot from distance instead of deliver it or look for a better opportunity. 
You can usually see Rhodes positioned to dart infront of his man should a ball come in tho.. we just don't put many quality balls into the box. Mostly they're aimless crosses, often straight onto the head of defenders, no where near our forwards.

Against Cardiff, Rhodes was one of our best players tbh.

His 1st touch and lay off for Reach early doors was superb and ended up getting Grujic booked, limiting what he could do for the rest of the game.

He then linked up well with Reach on the right and puts a good ball into the back post, but Fox doesn't attack it.

He's in a good position when Joao squares to Wallace and Wallace should have carried the ball, going 2v1 with Rhodes and player him in.. but tries a worldy instead.

For the ball in from Jones (probably the only ball anywhere near him from anyone all day) he does well, sprints forward too fast, which is what looses his man, then backpedals a little so he's got a free header, but he's gone a tiny bit too far and can't keep it down. A bit unlucky, losing the man made the header harder, but it was that or be contested at the header. If we gave him more than one of these he'd score one.

Makes a great run off the defender when Joao puts him thru, and gets a good shot away. The keeper does well to get something on it, and Reach should slot into a half empty net afterwards. It's not easy to get that shot away when it's behind you like that, but Rhodes does well and we really should have been 1-0 up with the rebound.

Was alive to the loose ball and slots in Joao really well 1v1.. How Joao misses we'll never know. The 2nd goal that should have been due to Rhodes.

Turned Bamba superbly to cross to Joao at the back post for the easiest chance of the game. Again.. how Joao's missed it in a mystery. Really poor finishing. Should have been the 3rd Goal Rhodes made that day.

So overall, Rhodes was our most creative player on the day. 3 clear cut chances for teammates. Of course we want to see Rhodes on the end of the chances, not making them, but since no one else if doing the job, Rhodes has to. We also saw him working back into our own half and defending, so for me that puts pay to the idea that he's not a team player, is lazy, doesnt have the workrate, only knows how to score.

Hopefully as we get more attack minded players back and the side starts to have some more balance to it, rather than just being the best we can do with whats available, then others will start providing for Rhodes and he can get on the scoresheet. Fans who watched the game should be happy with him after Saturday.. but getting on the scoresheet regularly will make the guys who just complain on the forums happy too. For now he's putting in a shift and making things happen.

It is evident that he and Joao need time together up front if they're to be a real pairing. There were several times during the Cardiff game that Joao ran across Rhodes, or took up a position too close or infront of him. Joao's awareness off where Rhodes is seems pretty poor, he need to get his head up more. That said, they've barely played together and need to develop an understanding if we're going to continue with them.

So there you go. There's a defense of Rhodes. The Rhodes of right now, under Jos. I've no interest in complaining about him last season or earlier this season when he played 10 minutes under Carlos. There's no value in that. But if you're watching games and watching what Rhodes does, rather than just looking in the 'goals for' column the day after the game, then it should be apparent that he's making a contribution and deserves a place in the team.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Magic Rat said:

I fear for the lad that Guru may be spot on here.

Even in his best form Rhodes was never considered good enough for a Premier League gig and has also been dropped out of a very poor Scotland squad.

Personally I’m rooting for him to come good and I can see the positives in his play others have mentioned, but his job is goals and he’s just not delivering. Unless he can change that it’s inevitable that when our injured strikers start coming back he’ll drop down the pecking order.

In his ''prime'' he was just a poacher - you never watched him and thought ''now there is a good footballer''

His record was outstanding but no big club took a slight gamble and like you say Scotland (who are garbage) very rarely even call him up never mind play him.

Why?? It's because he is a VERY limited player.

The signing of Rhodes is a watershed moment for us  - sadly not in a good way 

Guest RocketOwl
5 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Mentioning Joao is perfectly valid, because if Hooper was fit and on the end of those two chances that Joao had, then we'd have 2 goals. They were simple, 'score in your sleep' type chances, and had they been scored then Rhodes comes away from the game with 2 assist and you can't make your salty posts. Judge Rhodes for what he does in the game. He can't make Joao scored those chances, but Joao really should have done so.

1) Rhodes hasn't had much of an opportunity this season (but when he has he's scored).

If you look at the games under Carlos this season, Rhodes was mostly used as a substitute.

Isn't that exactly the sort of return you'd want from him, that's heading for 30 goals a season if he did it over 46 games.

That Rhodes plays well when he starts and poorly when he is a sub is painfully obvious.

and sure, he has played IN 27 games this season. but 10 of those were for about 20 minutes or less.

To give you a real idea of how little Rhodes has actually played, Hooper has been out for a month and has still spent 45% more time on the pitch than Rhodes has.

Getting rid of Rhodes now would be ridiculous. We have a new manager and a new start for everyone. Joao suddenly looks a better team player than he was before. Matias looks like he might be a dangerous player and should maybe be starting. Fox doesn't look like he's never seen a football before. Venancio looks like an accomplished defender. Pudil looks a pretty decent core in central defence. Jones looks sharper and much more involved. All these players have improved under Jos, I would argue Rhodes has as well (bearing in mind the two easy goals he set up on Saturday), and there is doubtless more to come from all these players as the squad gets back to fitness and we adopt a more attacking system/personnel rather than just using the dozen players available to try and stop the rot. Rhodes has proved at other clubs, under other managers, that he can bang goals in for fun. Carlos and Rhodes wasn't a good match. Jos seems like a very different guy from Carlos, so let's see if he can get the most from Rhodes. If he's only scored 2 goals between now and the summer I might see a case for selling. Not now tho.

Under Jos, we've been playing a very defensive formation, with the players cobbled together from what was available. As i recall Jos said we had 13 fit senior players recently. That's not going to make for cohesive attacking football. The supply to the front men has been pretty poor in the 2 league games.

Still, Rhodes has been working hard and offering, even making things happen himself then the opportunity presents itself.

If you want the United highlights, Rhodes makes a great run across the centerbacks when Palmer cuts in-field. Palmer doesn't use him tho and slots it sideways to Reach who tries to score from 25 yards. Perhaps it's left over from Carlos, but we seem to have this culture of shooting from distance, looking for a worldy, which rarely comes off. Joao, Pudil and Wallace also opt to shoot from distance instead of deliver it or look for a better opportunity. 
You can usually see Rhodes positioned to dart infront of his man should a ball come in tho.. we just don't put many quality balls into the box. Mostly they're aimless crosses, often straight onto the head of defenders, no where near our forwards.

His 1st touch and lay off for Reach early doors was superb and ended up getting Grujic booked, limiting what he could do for the rest of the game.

He then linked up well with Reach on the right and puts a good ball into the back post, but Fox doesn't attack it.

He's in a good position when Joao squares to Wallace and Wallace should have carried the ball, going 2v1 with Rhodes and player him in.. but tries a worldy instead.

For the ball in from Jones (probably the only ball anywhere near him from anyone all day) he does well, sprints forward too fast, which is what looses his man, then backpedals a little so he's got a free header, but he's gone a tiny bit too far and can't keep it down. A bit unlucky, losing the man made the header harder, but it was that or be contested at the header. If we gave him more than one of these he'd score one.

Makes a great run off the defender when Joao puts him thru, and gets a good shot away. The keeper does well to get something on it, and Reach should slot into a half empty net afterwards. It's not easy to get that shot away when it's behind you like that, but Rhodes does well and we really should have been 1-0 up with the rebound.

Was alive to the loose ball and slots in Joao really well 1v1.. How Joao misses we'll never know. The 2nd goal that should have been due to Rhodes.

Turned Bamba superbly to cross to Joao at the back post for the easiest chance of the game. Again.. how Joao's missed it in a mystery. Really poor finishing. Should have been the 3rd Goal Rhodes made that day.

So overall, Rhodes was our most creative player on the day. 3 clear cut chances for teammates. Of course we want to see Rhodes on the end of the chances, not making them, but since no one else if doing the job, Rhodes has to. We also saw him working back into our own half and defending, so for me that puts pay to the idea that he's not a team player, is lazy, doesnt have the workrate, only knows how to score.

Hopefully as we get more attack minded players back and the side starts to have some more balance to it, rather than just being the best we can do with whats available, then others will start providing for Rhodes and he can get on the scoresheet. Fans who watched the game should be happy with him after Saturday.. but getting on the scoresheet regularly will make the guys who just complain on the forums happy too. For now he's putting in a shift and making things happen.

It is evident that he and Joao need time together up front if they're to be a real pairing. There were several times during the Cardiff game that Joao ran across Rhodes, or took up a position too close or infront of him. Joao's awareness off where Rhodes is seems pretty poor, he need to get his head up more. That said, they've barely played together and need to develop an understanding if we're going to continue with them.

So there you go. There's a defense of Rhodes. The Rhodes of right now, under Jos. I've no interest in complaining about him last season or earlier this season when he played 10 minutes under Carlos. There's no value in that. But if you're watching games and watching what Rhodes does, rather than just looking in the 'goals for' column the day after the game, then it should be apparent that he's making a contribution and deserves a place in the team.

wow. 

FF, Hooper, Fletcher injured. Winnall out on loan. New manager, new system and fresh start.

Its now or never for Joao and Rhodes.

Someone said earlier that £ for £ Rhodes has been our most disappointing signing and it would be difficult to argue with that although there's a splendid effort by Cookeh. Bottom line there isn't a Wednesdayite anywhere that doesn't want him to succeed.

Come On Jordan!

57 minutes ago, cookeh said:

1. So you think in your opinion that Rhodes will come good with a new a manager. At present thats an opinion not facts which we look at what as past. So in you opinion Rhodes is or will be doing better in the next few weeks or so. I think this is a defence of Rhodes but wishful thinking. The facts are he as had more than a fair crack of the whip and for someone who massively exceeded the transfer record at our club, I think the return we have is beyond belief.  The facts are that not on the odd occasion he as missed the opportunity to make a name for himself but failed on many occasion. It may not be his fault the price tag p,laced on his shoulders but I think we should be getting a better return. 

Every player as a price but again your opinion is that it would be foolish to sell him. Why? 

Also was it CC 's fault that whilst he was in charge he continually missed open nets and did absolutely nothing for the team. No Im not just looking at the goals column however it could and should be a lot healthier than what it is hence one of the reasons we are nearer to the bottom 3 than the top 6. If you think that a player of Rhodes experience and the performances which he as put in whilst with Wednesday deserves a starting place each week, then you can't be surprised by the lowly league position. Everyone deserves a chance in which Rhodes really as had plenty. How long in your opinion do we keep with Rhodes until you say enough is enough. Do you know what, I really hope Im proved wrong but without sounding too harsh he really doesn't deserve a start at present. In fact if it wasn't for the fact we have so many injuries I would doubt very much if he would get into the squad. I remember being at the first match I think was Wigan away, and since that game, there as been nothing to change my mind that this was a poor signing.

4 hours ago, cookeh said:

To be fair that was because Strachan wanted to play 1 man up front and if you're looking for someone to be big, strong , hold a ball or make chances for themselves then Rhodes isn't that guy. He didn't suit how the manager wanted to play, but Strachan always had only good things to say about Rhodes, just that he didn't fit the style.

How many times in the defence of Rhodes no one appears to understand or recognises his strengths. This love in with Rhodes is becoming unhealthy especially for Wednesday. So in your opinion what exactly are his strengths because neither Middlesborough, Wednesday and his national side don't know. I would have thought a 10 million pound player would walk into the Scottish side unless they know something we dont. Maybe because you 'study' Rhodes  more than others on here you might be able to elaborate. He is becoming a bit of an enigma our Jordan.  

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Rhodes, Rhodes, Rhodes, Row your boat, up the Championship, merrily merrily merrily, up to Premier league. Cheers.

:carlosswfc:

Jesus Christ just listening to that in my own head is like running fingernails down a chalkboard. It’s something I imagine Geoffrey singing in a high vis vest sat beside his 75 year old mum while the players are warming up in front of him, waving his little stick flags.

Edited by Rebowl Yell
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

1. So you think in your opinion that Rhodes will come good with a new a manager. At present thats an opinion not facts which we look at what as past. So in you opinion Rhodes is or will be doing better in the next few weeks or so. I think this is a defence of Rhodes but wishful thinking. The facts are he as had more than a fair crack of the whip and for someone who massively exceeded the transfer record at our club, I think the return we have is beyond belief.  The facts are that not on the odd occasion he as missed the opportunity to make a name for himself but failed on many occasion. It may not be his fault the price tag p,laced on his shoulders but I think we should be getting a better return. 

Every player as a price but again your opinion is that it would be foolish to sell him. Why? 

Also was it CC 's fault that whilst he was in charge he continually missed open nets and did absolutely nothing for the team. No Im not just looking at the goals column however it could and should be a lot healthier than what it is hence one of the reasons we are nearer to the bottom 3 than the top 6. If you think that a player of Rhodes experience and the performances which he as put in whilst with Wednesday deserves a starting place each week, then you can't be surprised by the lowly league position. Everyone deserves a chance in which Rhodes really as had plenty. How long in your opinion do we keep with Rhodes until you say enough is enough. Do you know what, I really hope Im proved wrong but without sounding too harsh he really doesn't deserve a start at present. In fact if it wasn't for the fact we have so many injuries I would doubt very much if he would get into the squad. I remember being at the first match I think was Wigan away, and since that game, there as been nothing to change my mind that this was a poor signing.

Sorry Cookeh but totally agree with CL

More than enough chances for me and 100% this will not change as he doesn't possess the ability and more importantly doesn't appear to want to.

His body language is poor and I wonder wether his dad was the prime mover in a long running hype to come to Hillsboro'

Massive mistake to let Winnall go out Derby.

18 hours ago, A12owl said:

Wasn't Huddersfield and Blackburn where he scored loads of goals. Boro and us have not seen the best of him.

Could it not suggest that Boro and us have not played to his strengths whereas Huddersfield and Blackburn had managers who knew how to set up their teams to get the best out of Rhodes.

You have to question the management more than Rhodes.

It does seem that some posters just don't want him to succeed. 

But we are on Owlstalk. 

I know what your saying but wouldn't that mean changing the whole style of the team set up to suit one player ?

That might have been ok if we had bought him earlier and recruited players to suit that but as it was we had already got a full squad not really suited to that.

Rhodes is a  a 6 yard are man, always has been, with a big quality target man supplying him, and a top crosser from wing.

And like Gerd Mueller, he has neither pace nor stamina.

As we have non of above player types, it's Rhodes ' recruitment that was a disaster.  

But Jos 'll work out a system to suit, no fear.

Joel Campbell - now cheap - for right wing would help. And more games with Joao. 

2 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

Rhodes is a  a 6 yard are man, always has been, with a big quality target man supplying him, and a top crosser from wing.

And like Gerd Mueller, he has neither pace nor stamina.

As we have non of above player types, it's Rhodes ' recruitment that was a disaster.  

But Jos 'll work out a system to suit, no fear.

Joel Campbell - now cheap - for right wing would help. And more games with Joao. 

Hope you're right, at the minute he seems to have lost confidence/the knack and because of that, also seems to have lost interest a bit.

Hopefully he will score a couple and get it back but if not I think he will go.

1 minute ago, Hookowl said:

Hope you're right, at the minute he seems to have lost confidence/the knack and because of that, also seems to have lost interest a bit.

Hopefully he will score a couple and get it back but if not I think he will go.

The Hillsborough holiday camp didn't help , under Carlos.

You need hours of practice with your main striker partners etc for what we are expecting. 

Just doesn't evolve that quickly.

Wish Madine was still here, and Ben Marshall. But Jos 'll sort it , soon.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

"So you think in your opinion that Rhodes will come good with a new a manager. At present thats an opinion not facts"
But it's based in fact. Let me ask it another way.. can you list the managers that Rhodes has performed poorly under? I think you'll find it's a list of one.. Carlos. So you really think that Rhodes has just become a terrible player? That as 27 he's washed up? Or that one manager failed to get the best out of him in the last 12 months (which is 100% true for a lot of other players as well)? If you don't think a players past informs a players future, then I have no idea what you base your assessment of a players ability on. Rhodes was poor under Carlos, but has scored merrily everywhere else (yes, even at Boro). There is no reason at all why he cant replicate that with us, and on Saturday he certainly showed the commitment and ability that i'd expect from him.

"Every player as a price but again your opinion is that it would be foolish to sell him. Why? "
Because he's the top scorer in this league for the last 10 years or something ridiculous. If we want to go up, then his goals could well make the difference. Who of our players is a frequent goal scorer?

Fletcher - Never has been. tops out at 10-15 goals a season when he plays every game and isn't getting younger.

Joao - We all say he'd be a player if he scored goals, but he doesn't.. so..
Nuhiu - 3 in 2 years now isnt it?

Nando - yes, but better wide left in a 433/4231. Is he a good partner for a centerforward? not really.

Matias - maybe.. remains to be seen in this league.

Hooper - Yes. Him and Rhodes up top, with decent supply could be great.

Two goal scoring forwards is what we have.. and that's about how many you want. Why would we sell one, knowing we'd have to buy another? WInnall is beak at the end of the season, but may well ask for a move. Hooper's injury means he's probably safe from Swansea for this window, but bear in mind he turns 30 before this weekend and a big bid from them in the summer might not be the worst thing to accept.

"Im not just looking at the goals column however it could and should be a lot healthier than what it is"

don't you think that perhaps the player who've been on the pitch should be the once to be held responsible for that, rather than Rhodes who was largely a bit part player under Carlos this season. Like i said he only played an hour or more in 8 games under Carlos and he scored 5 goals in those games. Why is Rhodes responsible for probably our worst season in a long time in terms of goals scored, when he wasn't even on the pitch. Honestly, it seems a bit bizarre to me.

"How long in your opinion do we keep with Rhodes until you say enough is enough."
I already answered that. I'd give him till the summer. That's a fair shout under Jos and hopefully as Boyd gets fitter, Bannan comes back, Pelupessy gets up to speed and Reach reverts to the left side so we have someone who can cross there.. then we should see a bit more of Rhodes. Saturday for me was a good start. With relatively little support he fashioned 3 clear cut chances for his teammates. Strikers aren't only about goals.. Rhodes has oft been criticised that he WAS only about goals.. but he showed that he's not. Long may that continue. As the team around him improves, the hopefully he should start hitting the net too. But ultimately I'll judge him on performances. If he plays like he did on Saturday for the rest of the season i'll be happy. even if he doesn't score himself. We'll win games if he plays like that.

"he really doesn't deserve a start at present."
Bearing in mind that he made 3 clear cut chances which should have been scored by Joao and Reach, who would you put in in his place? Matias? What's your justification for that? Is it just that he scored in the cup against a lower league side? I really hope it's more than that.