Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

It was a bad signing and not what we needed at the time.

I'm guessing he was the gift to the fans, but it was ill advised and hopefully DC will learn from it.

His form prior to joining us had been in decline and ironically we would have been much better spending the money on players for the type of player who could create chances for the likes of Rhodes.

Unless we are generally dominating games and producing chance after chance, Rhodes is no good to us. His hold up play is poor and he is far too weak when put under pressure. We can't afford to have a passenger in the team and every time he plays he is a clear weak link.

So if Fulham or Sunderland or Hull pick up the phone and say 'what is your asking price for him?' what would you say? I'd ask for 15 Million and probably settle at 8-9 Million. We could re-invest this and start building the squad for next season.

I personally don't think anyone will come in for him because if they had been scouting him they wouldn't be interested. But if it did come up I'd try to get my money back from the initial transfer.

Also does anyone know if Fletcher or Hooper are due back soon?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tarn owl said:

So if Fulham or Sunderland or Hull pick up the phone and say 'what is your asking price for him?' what would you say? I'd ask for 15 Million and probably settle at 8-9 Million. We could re-invest this and start building the squad for next season.

I personally don't think anyone will come in for him because if they had been scouting him they wouldn't be interested. But if it did come up I'd try to get my money back from the initial transfer.

Also does anyone know if Fletcher or Hooper are due back soon?

Massive optimism here Tarn ?

Bloody hope you are right though... 

The ozone layer would have a massive hole above Hillsborough if this happens.

from the exhaust fumes from waiting fans to drive him there, and the cigar smoke emissions. ..lol

Joking aside it's not our shout it's our new manager to decide his / our destiny for now 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe if you go back a further 2 years Look how much the game has changed in the last 3 or 4 years, and it's not difficult to see why Rhodes struggles

Even in Carlos's first year, when we were more on the front foot, it involved a high energy pressing game

I fear for the lad that Guru may be spot on here.

Even in his best form Rhodes was never considered good enough for a Premier League gig and has also been dropped out of a very poor Scotland squad.

Personally I’m rooting for him to come good and I can see the positives in his play others have mentioned, but his job is goals and he’s just not delivering. Unless he can change that it’s inevitable that when our injured strikers start coming back he’ll drop down the pecking order.

4 minutes ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

He scuffed virtually every shot in the warm up in front of the North, his timing is way off. Same for the header. I think he is trying too hard and not doing what came instinctively previously.

He needs to work with a good sports psychologist.

Yes don’t think he scored once in the warm up so no real surprise when he fluffed his lines in the game.

Needs dropping as he shouldn’t be rewarded with another start for yet another poor performance. Imagine the abuse Nuhiu would get it he missed two sitters!

1 minute ago, Tapeworm said:

Yes don’t think he scored once in the warm up so no real surprise when he fluffed his lines in the game.

Needs dropping as he shouldn’t be rewarded with another start for yet another poor performance. Imagine the abuse Nuhiu would get it he missed two sitters!

Wouldn’t call his performance poor on Saturday, felt for his limitations in linking play up he did quite well. Snatched a little at the big chance but least he is getting into those areas now. Goals might start to come for him 

4 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Even in his best form Rhodes was never considered good enough for a Premier League gig and has also been dropped out of a very poor Scotland squad

To be fair that was because Strachan wanted to play 1 man up front and if you're looking for someone to be big, strong , hold a ball or make chances for themselves then Rhodes isn't that guy. He didn't suit how the manager wanted to play, but Strachan always had only good things to say about Rhodes, just that he didn't fit the style.

21 minutes ago, Tapeworm said:

He played really well other than the one header which he misjudged the curl on as it came in.

That's hardly ground for bombing him out of the team.

Strange that you don't want Joao dropped despite him missing the 2 easiest chances of the game (both made by Rhodes).

Rhodes has been disappointing - but I thought he had a decent game on Saturday.

Yes, he could have scored 2, but just like Joao - he got one on target, and forced the goalie into a good save on the other. In fact, on another day he may have been a contender for MOTM - he could quite easily have claimed 3 assists, if others had taken their chances. If other players chipped in a bit more, there wouldn't be as much pressure on the lad to score with every single touch.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Rhodes all round play was really good on Saturday. He bought others into play well, and did a lot of good work outside the box... He sort of had to, because we really were poor in terms of delivery.

How many players put a good cross in in the entire game?  Jones with the free kick.. and Rhodes himself. Other than that all our balls in were really poor, step forward Morgan Fox with his 3 efforts to deliver, the third of which ended up just being a frustrated hoof out of play. He wasn't alone tho.. Wallace didn't put a good cross in all day and neither did Palmer. I guess Reach had one good cross, but he picked out Morgan Fox on the right wing.. so.. kind of a waste a soon as the cross went in.

The best chances were really the two strikers playing each other in. Joao slotting thru to Rhodes who got a good save from the keeper, with Reach missing the open goal after.. and Rhodes cross to Joao at the back post for what should have been a simple header and a certain goal.

Rhodes was offering all game long, on the shoulder of people, or working an angle, but we very rarely used it. Instead we did things like delay and play sideways, or shoot over from distance. The midfield is really the issue, not Rhodes.

I also find it interesting that after a game where Joao missed probably 3 easy goals, the first reaction is to want Rhodes out. Agenda rather than actually paying attention tbh.

For starters, how much did Joao cost. Rhodes was brought in purely for his goal scoring record at previous clubs. The fact is that he isn't scoring and that poses a serious problem to Wednesday after investing an hefty amount in him. Transfer cost, wages and length of contract. It doesn't matter what the likes of Joao etc are doing around him, its what Rhodes isn't doing and he as no where near started to pay off for the invested Wednesday have put into it for him and no sign whatsoever he will.. Go ahead folks neg away, but can anyone give a good case for Rhodes and the future with him. All those who have negged me in previous posts about him still haven't come up with a counter argument.

We here the same old claptrap about we are not playing to his strengths etc etc. What is his strengths because I really cant see any. What I can see is gilt edge opportunities being missed on a match by match basis. Please correct if I'm wrong, but in Wednesday's current position, does anyone on here think we can afford such luxury. I suppose at the end of the day he probably is a nice chap, and applauds the fans and the sub who generally comes on for him. Be nice to see a few goals from our record signing. By the way pal, just because I have an opinion on Rhodes doesn't mean I have an agenda. What do you mean by 'paying attention' Don't get that part.

Stupidity at it’s finest.

Rhodes’ goalscoring record is first class. Rhodes hasn’t stopped scoring because he’s crap, it’s because of the lack of chances. Okay, he should have done better the other night, however the kid is extremely low on confidence. CC never played him and the football we play doesn’t suit him. He’s a box striker, and we don’t supply him. The goal against Norwich is what he’s about, not big big boot up

I've got to say, in all the years I've been watching football, the curious case of Jordan Rhodes baffles me.

We've all seen strikers lose confidence and go through dry patches, it happens to everyone. It's understandable.

We've all see strikers just not gel at certain clubs, again it happens.

But I've never seen a striker look to have lost all his ability and skill.

Just watching him in the warm ups the last two games has been sad watching.

Against Burton:

Simple exercise, the coach bounces the ball, you hit in on the volley.

Rhodes just couldn't connect with the ball, his technique was like a 10 year old just learning the strike a ball.

When he did connect it floated in to the KOP.

Against Cardiff:

He didn't score one shot in the warm up, most of the shots/chances he was given are 10 yards out, he missed the target 50% of the time. The time she hit the target they the ball just rolled to Dawson.

It's genuinely baffling.

We've all played football, whether it be in a field or at a higher level, we've all fluffed chances, but I've never lost my ability to strike a ball cleanly every kick. In a warm up, with no pressure from anyone, just hit the target, strike the ball clean....it's very very simple. At the minute he can't even do that.

It reminds me of space jam, when the aliens take all the NBA stars ability.

It's a sad sight, I do feel sorry for the lad.

Guest RocketOwl
21 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

I've got to say, in all the years I've been watching football, the curious case of Jordan Rhodes baffles me.

We've all seen strikers lose confidence and go through dry patches, it happens to everyone. It's understandable.

Against Burton:

Rhodes just couldn't connect with the ball, his technique was like a 10 year old just learning the strike a ball.

Against Cardiff:

He didn't score one shot in the warm up, most of the shots/chances he was given are 10 yards out, he missed the target 50% of the time. The time she hit the target they the ball just rolled to Dawson.

It's genuinely baffling.

We've all played football, whether it be in a field or at a higher level, we've all fluffed chances, but I've never lost my ability to strike a ball cleanly every kick. In a warm up, with no pressure from anyone, just hit the target, strike the ball clean....it's very very simple. At the minute he can't even do that.

It is sad.

Rhodes was never lightening but he wasn't as slow as he is now.

29 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

Against Burton:

Against Cardiff:

It's genuinely baffling.

Yet saying all that he starts the games !

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, Watto said:

Yet saying all that he starts the games !

That's the Annoying thing! Not doing his fragile confidence any favours.

Apologies if Pope posted this but think it hits the nail on the head.

http://www.sheffwed.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=518720

We need to get the lad scoring nkw simple as. If we try to flog him now we risk bankrupting ourselves as no one will pay a good price. Seems to me him and Joao are starting to get chances now and setting each other up. Yeah they blew it against Cardiff but hopefully their partnership will improve. At the moment we're not looking like relegation fodder so let's show some faith and try to stay positive.