Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

1 hour ago, ElsecarOwl said:

Sorry Cookeh but totally agree with CL

More than enough chances for me and 100% this will not change as he doesn't possess the ability and more importantly doesn't appear to want to.

His body language is poor and I wonder wether his dad was the prime mover in a long running hype to come to Hillsboro'

Massive mistake to let Winnall go out Derby.

Doesn't possess the ability? He's the 3rd highest Championship goal scorer of all time. Behind 2 players who are 4 and 5 years older than him, and are on the decline. It's very likely (whether he stays with us or leaves) that he will end up as tehtop Championship goal scorer of all time.. but you say he doesn't have the ability. Have you got a straight face when you say it?

He doesn't want to? Did you watch the game on Saturday? Did you see him constantly making runs? Did you see him working back? Did you see the three chances he put on a plate for people? Try judging him on what he's doing now, under Jos, rather than the time under Carlos. Matias looks like a right contender for a stating spot to me, because of what he's doing now. What he did last year doesn't matter in the slightest.

With hindsight, letting Winnall go was a bad move. But we were massively overstocked for strikers, and had no idea that Nando, Fletch and Hooper would all be out indefinitely. I can understand why we let him go. We should have had a recall that didn't invole him and Derby both agreeing to it tho, that was straight up foolish.

5 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Doesn't possess the ability? He's the 3rd highest Championship goal scorer of all time. Behind 2 players who are 4 and 5 years older than him, and are on the decline. It's very likely (whether he stays with us or leaves) that he will end up as tehtop Championship goal scorer of all time.. but you say he doesn't have the ability. Have you got a straight face when you say it?

He doesn't want to? Did you watch the game on Saturday? Did you see him constantly making runs? Did you see him working back? Did you see the three chances he put on a plate for people? Try judging him on what he's doing now, under Jos, rather than the time under Carlos. Matias looks like a right contender for a stating spot to me, because of what he's doing now. What he did last year doesn't matter in the slightest.

With hindsight, letting Winnall go was a bad move. But we were massively overstocked for strikers, and had no idea that Nando, Fletch and Hooper would all be out indefinitely. I can understand why we let him go. We should have had a recall that didn't invole him and Derby both agreeing to it tho, that was straight up foolish.

Fair comments and obviously I'm judging on past performances for us NOT before he came here.

Hope I'm proved wrong but just can't see it.

Yes I was there Saturday and thought he'd been better off mushrooming somewhere BUT hey that's my opinion.

1 hour ago, CLswfc said:

How many times in the defence of Rhodes no one appears to understand or recognises his strengths. This love in with Rhodes is becoming unhealthy especially for Wednesday. So in your opinion what exactly are his strengths because neither Middlesborough, Wednesday and his national side don't know. I would have thought a 10 million pound player would walk into the Scottish side unless they know something we dont. Maybe because you 'study' Rhodes  more than others on here you might be able to elaborate. He is becoming a bit of an enigma our Jordan.  

Hate to have to point it out, but Middlesborough did now. In his last 8 games of Boro's promotion season, Rhodes scored 5 and made 2. His goals were what got them promoted, without them they'd have been in the play-off lottery. After they went up they played a lone striker and so any criticism of him in that regard is.. "He's not as good as Alvara Negredo, who's in double figures for Spain after 21 caps." Shame on Rhodes!

With regard to the international situation. I'm Scottish, so yeah.. I'm familiar with the situation. Strachan always maintained that it was due to playing one man up front and having runners off him. That meant the main striker either had to be very mobile and able to fashion chances by himself, as Kenny Miller had done for years, or have good hold up play and the strength to bring other in. Neither of those are Rhodes forte. Why Scotland didn't use Rhodes (or even play 2 up top) in games against 'lesser' sides is a bit of a mystery among Scotland fans. Wales (of 2013), Macedonia, Lithuania.. Scotland played 4231 regardless of the opposition, and that probably part of Strachan's downfall. There was a long running complaint that Strachan tended to pick favourites.. you can look at teh international career of Leigh Griffiths as comparable to Rhodes. Griffiths was scoring for fun for Celtic and putting in some decent Champions League performances, yet Strachan wouldn't call him up, let along pick him. Instead opting for 'out of favour at their club' players like Fletcher or Stevie Naismith. Griffiths eventually got an opportunity and the tow freekicks against England secured him the number 9 shirt. For years tho, he and Rhodes were ignored. It seems Strachan was a bit of a Carlos in terms of having his favourites, and sticking with them thru thick and thin.
With a new manager on the way (Michael O'Neill?) it's likely that Rhodes will find himself in future squads. I'd be very surprised if Rhodes, Griffiths and McBurnie weren't in the next squad.

Oh, you might ask why Malky Mackay didn't pick him for his one game in charge.. But Malky Mackay didn't pick any strikers. He played Matty Phillips as a center forward, on his own. Malky Mackay's an idiot.

For me, Rhodes main assets are two fold. His finishing and his movement. The later of these is probably the one that makes the most difference. Unfortunately for us we don't have a lot of genuinely good passers in our side.
Wallace can't cross and opts to shoot whenever he can, not thread balls thru.

Lee tends not to pass thru defenses as lay it off and make a run off the ball, hoping to receive it himself.

Reach can cross, but hasn't shown a lot in the way of through balls.

Jones tends not to look directly forward with his passing, generally going to wide men rather than forwards.

Boyd seems to be akin to Lee, playing short passes and making runs to work an angle.

Bannan is maybe the only player we have who looks to put a ball thru a defense.

Players like Nando or Matias and possibly Pelupessy may suit Rhodes a lot more as they are much better on the ball and can spot runs.

14 minutes ago, ElsecarOwl said:

Fair comments and obviously I'm judging on past performances for us NOT before he came here.

Hope I'm proved wrong but just can't see it.

Yes I was there Saturday and thought he'd been better off mushrooming somewhere BUT hey that's my opinion.

If I were judging him purely on his games under Carlos, I'd be right there with you wondering what the fuss was about and why we paid so much for him.

heh funny thing football. I saw a player working hard and making 3 easy game winning chances for his team. Rhodes should have been a match winner on Saturday, but Joao and Reach let him down by not putting the chances away.

I'm 98% sure that if Matias had started instead of Rhodes and made the same 3 chances Rhodes did then there'd be a thread on here about how Matias was the 2nd coming and how we need to build a team around him!

Guest RocketOwl
10 minutes ago, cookeh said:

If I were judging him purely on his games under Carlos, I'd be right there with you wondering what the fuss was about and why we paid so much for him.

heh funny thing football. I saw a player working hard and making 3 easy game winning chances for his team. Rhodes should have been a match winner on Saturday, but Joao and Reach let him down by not putting the chances away.

I'm 98% sure that if Matias had started instead of Rhodes and made the same 3 chances Rhodes did then there'd be a thread on here about how Matias was the 2nd coming and how we need to build a team around him!

lol now it's other players fault for him missing sitters.

44 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Hate to have to point it out, but Middlesborough did now. In his last 8 games of Boro's promotion season, Rhodes scored 5 and made 2. His goals were what got them promoted, without them they'd have been in the play-off lottery. After they went up they played a lone striker and so any criticism of him in that regard is.. "He's not as good as Alvara Negredo, who's in double figures for Spain after 21 caps." Shame on Rhodes!

With regard to the international situation. I'm Scottish, so yeah.. I'm familiar with the situation. Strachan always maintained that it was due to playing one man up front and having runners off him. That meant the main striker either had to be very mobile and able to fashion chances by himself, as Kenny Miller had done for years, or have good hold up play and the strength to bring other in. Neither of those are Rhodes forte. Why Scotland didn't use Rhodes (or even play 2 up top) in games against 'lesser' sides is a bit of a mystery among Scotland fans. Wales (of 2013), Macedonia, Lithuania.. Scotland played 4231 regardless of the opposition, and that probably part of Strachan's downfall. There was a long running complaint that Strachan tended to pick favourites.. you can look at teh international career of Leigh Griffiths as comparable to Rhodes. Griffiths was scoring for fun for Celtic and putting in some decent Champions League performances, yet Strachan wouldn't call him up, let along pick him. Instead opting for 'out of favour at their club' players like Fletcher or Stevie Naismith. Griffiths eventually got an opportunity and the tow freekicks against England secured him the number 9 shirt. For years tho, he and Rhodes were ignored. It seems Strachan was a bit of a Carlos in terms of having his favourites, and sticking with them thru thick and thin.
With a new manager on the way (Michael O'Neill?) it's likely that Rhodes will find himself in future squads. I'd be very surprised if Rhodes, Griffiths and McBurnie weren't in the next squad.

Oh, you might ask why Malky Mackay didn't pick him for his one game in charge.. But Malky Mackay didn't pick any strikers. He played Matty Phillips as a center forward, on his own. Malky Mackay's an idiot.

For me, Rhodes main assets are two fold. His finishing and his movement. The later of these is probably the one that makes the most difference. Unfortunately for us we don't have a lot of genuinely good passers in our side.

Lee tends not to pass thru defenses as lay it off and make a run off the ball, hoping to receive it himself.

Jones tends not to look directly forward with his passing, generally going to wide men rather than forwards.

Boyd seems to be akin to Lee, playing short passes and making runs to work an angle.

Players like Nando or Matias and possibly Pelupessy may suit Rhodes a lot more as they are much better on the ball and can spot runs.

One of his main assets is his finishing. Are you really sure about that. Now Im sounding pedantic, apologies if it appears so but isn't that the main issue with Rhodes at present. What do you think Rhodes main strengths are apart from those two you mentioned as it appears we are not playing to them. Could you simplify them. 

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, cookeh said:

If finishing is his main quality then I'm concerned.

That was the best defence if his performances to date. Excellent. Almost believed it.

He can score and will score for us or somebody else. He has the best goals tally over his career and we have so far not played to his strengths. His confidence will be down, with this goingon so long. We needed him an Sam Winall up front together and plenty different crosses in to the box. Sadly his best strike partner is now unavailable due to stupidity.

52 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Personally I'd swap Madine and Rhodes around if we could.

You would swap him for Marlon King,if you thought he would score more goals.

I've not looked at this thread since yesterday just thought I'd checck it out and it's the same people obsessively banging on.

Ps.Irony

FFS

Guest RocketOwl
Just now, Hawkowl said:

You would swap him for Marlon King,if you thought he would score more goals.

I've not looked at this thread since yesterday just thought I'd checck it out and it's the same people obsessively banging on.

Ps.Irony

FFS

Well he used to score a lot of goals in this league like Rhodes so why not. 

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Just a question but do you think we should sign Ben Marshall and that Abdi will come good.

11 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Well he used to score a lot of goals in this league like Rhodes so why not. 

He's been done for wounding,assault on women and sexual assault.

Plus a whole host of other charges.

Are you not embarrassed by what you wrote above?

FFS.