Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

6 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Francis was world class in his day; stretching it a bit with that reference. 

Rhodes has succeeded at Huddersfield (mostly in league 1) and Blackburn; he’s flopped at Boro and is (so far). 

His best games of the season were generally against us. 

Not really.

Goes for most players. They could probably finish at 37 better than at 17 but usually the injuries and fitness get them first.

I think we have to forget about transfer fees. 

It's just about getting players in to fit the jigsaw. 

I'd have found Rhodes an odd signing if he'd only cost £100k to be honest as I think it was obvious he wouldn't fit what Carlos craved from his team.

Still. He's ours now. We just have to hope, and that's all we can do, that Jos is the man who can get out of him the one thing in his armoury that most clubs want,  scoring goals. 

Whether he can is another matter. If he can't I'm sure he'll be moved on. 

We might end up making a huge loss. But that's nothing new to us is it?

We've just got to get behind the lad when he plays and hope Jos can do what Carlos was never going to be able too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

I wasn't clearly referencing the fact that King once scored regularly in this league - making te point Rhodes record is in the past to.

Madine is not a Marlon King and to tar him with that brush is pathetic really. He made a mistake when he was younger and paid the price. 

He goes out on that pitch now and fights for 90 minutes to show the world he can play in the championship. 

If Rhodes showed half the work ethic of the new madine he would be doing a lot better.

If I remember correctly he made several MISTAKES all involving publicly beating innocent people.

I wonder if you would feel the same if it had been your father/son he had battered while p1ssed.

I do not however think he is a bad a character as King.I never said he was.

I was just curious to see how low you would stoop to find a goal scorer.

But to have either of these stalwarts of society representing our club as role models for our children is an attitude that I do find truly pathetic.

FFS.

Guest RocketOwl
3 minutes ago, Hawkowl said:

If I remember correctly he made several MISTAKES all involving publicly beating innocent people.

I wonder if you would feel the same if it had been your father/son he had battered while p1ssed.

I do not however think he is a bad a character as King.I never said he was.

I was just curious to see how low you would stoop to find a goal scorer.

But to have either of these stalwarts of society representing our club as role models for our children is an attitude that I do find truly pathetic.

FFS.

I'm not going to go into the debate you want me to as it will deflect from the main discussion.

As things stand in 2018 Gary Madine is a more effective striker in the Chanpionship than Jordan Rhodes.

He is for Bolton and he would be for us.

39 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

You are obsessed with the transfer fee.

Its done, its gone, get over it, treat Rhodes like all the other Strikers at the club.

They have been feeding off scraps for 2 seasons, Rhodes hasn't played in an attacking, on form Wednesday team.

So until we're attacking and on form, he should be nowhere the starting lineup. 

In 2018, Jordan Rhodes is a very poor championship striker. Genuinely looking like THE worst signing in our history. 

Just now, IstillhateSteveBould said:

So until we're attacking and on form, he should be nowhere the starting lineup. 

In 2018, Jordan Rhodes is a very poor championship striker. Genuinely looking like THE worst signing in our history. 

Nonsense I’m not having that. I recall Majorie and I seeing him score a great hatrick on an August bank holiday in 1972 

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

I'm not going to go into the debate you want me to as it will deflect from the main discussion.

As things stand in 2018 Gary Madine is a more effective striker in the Chanpionship than Jordan Rhodes.

He is for Bolton and he would be for us.

Ok I agree we are either off topic or you have lost the argument.

But remember he has also been disciplined by Bolton for fighting in pubs.

Lesson learned.

I think not.

Nuff said.

FFS.

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, Hawkowl said:

Ok I agree we are either off topic or you have lost the argument.

But remember he has also been disciplined by Bolton for fighting in pubs.

Lesson learned.

I think not.

Nuff said.

FFS.

I won't have lost this argument pal until Rhodes starts proving his worth.

Just now, RocketOwl said:

I won't have lost this argument pal until Rhodes starts proving his worth.

:CEO::tango:WTF:lol

Stop it now.

My discussion with you was about Madines Character and is suitability to play for Wednesday.

Not what you stated above.

FFS Pal. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cookeh said:

1) Rhodes hasn't had much of an opportunity this season (but when he has he's scored).

If you look at the games under Carlos this season, Rhodes was mostly used as a substitute.

He played over an hour in just 8 games and scored 5 goals in those 8 games.

Isn't that exactly the sort of return you'd want from him, that's heading for 30 goals a season if he did it over 46 games.

Now that's special pleading at it's finest. With a specially tuned argument not too dissimilar to that I could get Mark Crossley averaging a goal a game (obviously a bit of a joke). As for scoring when he's had the opportunity - that's just patently false.

Looks like it's time for this list again...

SWFC CHAMPIONSHIP MINUTES PER GOAL 2017/8

Winnall              136

Hooper              193  (215 not including penalty)

Nuhiu                264

Joao                  299

Rhodes             322  (430 not including penalty)

Lee                   335

Fletcher            536

Reach               630

Wallace             846

SOURCE : whoscored.com

And while I'm at it, the same list for last season...

SWFC CHAMPIONSHIP MINUTES PER GOAL 2016/7

Fletcher           220

Forestieri         222

Hooper             241

Winnall             288

Rhodes            457

Lee                  479

Sasso              556

Wallace            582

Fox                   793

Nuhiu               0 goals in 381 minutes

Joao                 0 goals in 596 minutes

4 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

And while I'm at it, the same list for last season...

SWFC CHAMPIONSHIP MINUTES PER GOAL 2016/7

Fletcher           220

Forestieri         222

Hooper             241

Winnall             288

Rhodes            457

Lee                  479

Sasso              556

Wallace            582

Fox                   793

Nuhiu               0 goals in 381 minutes

Joao                 0 goals in 596 minutes

I'm not going to get into another debate.

But I really despair at so called Wednesday fans obsessively slagging off our players.

From the stats you have put above it means that Fletcher should start before FF or Hooper.

Do you really believe that?

FFS.

And for a little perspective as to how a couple in particular have been compared and treated by supporters generally, here are the averages for players in their entire time at Wednesday. The statistics are from whoscored.com so I cannot vouch for their accuracy, but nothing shows itself as obviously wrong.

SWFC CAREER - CHAMPIONSHIP MINUTES PER GOAL

Hooper         196

Forestieri      223

Winnall         250

Fletcher        273

Matias          331

Rhodes        380

Joao             381

Nuhiu           403

Lee               564

Wallace        601

Reach           858

Abdi              892

15 minutes ago, Hawkowl said:

I'm not going to get into another debate.

But I really despair at so called Wednesday fans obsessively slagging off our players.

From the stats you have put above it means that Fletcher should start before FF or Hooper.

Do you really believe that?

Absolutely not. I've stated many times (dating back many years actually) that judging strikers purely by goals is foolish, has little context, and can result in endless anomalies like the example you gave. And it seems Fletcher is in rapid decline anyway.

However, Rhodes' desperate supporters do use this threat of goals (mainly from three seasons ago and beyond now) as basically his only saving grace. And I have demonstrated clearly that he has failed miserably in that task. Kieran Lee has only just been behind him each of the last two seasons and last year even Sasso would have overtaken him with one more goal.

Strange you should give a neg to what is just a list of (apparent) facts, but hey ho.

Edited by DJMortimer

Imo hes still a good player.

Had a bad time at Boro because he isn't premier league quality.

Then he came here when the team wasnt playing great football like the year before.

He didn't get a good run in a good team and he must know fans have been grumbling

I don't believe he has lost his ability at his age. A finisher is a finisher till the legs can't carry can you any more.

It's more down to confidence imo. And tbh he hasn't played bad apart from missing chances that I'm sure everyone on here could put away.

Maybe he's behind hooper and joao, yes we do need pace, but some seem as eager to write him off as others do to give him more time.