Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

6 hours ago, scram said:

Abdi cost nothing like as much - about a third of the cost of Rhodes i believe

Has had nothing like the chances in his preferred position - pretty much never played in his best position

Abdi has received a fraction of the goodwill and faith of the fanbase

And certainly wasn't purchased with the remit of scoring the goals to fire us to promotion

It's a crass comparison

.dress it up how you want but abdi as been a poor  poor signing  and  while Rhodes as been disappointing he's as at least contributed something and with hopefully power to add if jos can get them playing  in a more aggressive manner . .........maybe jos will play abdi in his preferred position and he'll come good as everyone starts with a clean slate and no baggage with the new boss . .....we'll have to wait and see what happens but  think it's a bit premature to be writing anyone off just yet 

Why don't we bring in someone on loan with some pace who might bang in a few goals , at the moment we are stuck with possibly the poorest strike force in this division ( Rhodes Joao and Nuhui) with no sign of Hooper, Fletcher and foresteiri coming back any time soon, is it unrealistic to loan a striker?

2 minutes ago, torryowl said:

.dress it up how you want but abdi as been a poor  poor signing  and  while Rhodes as been disappointing he's as at least contributed something and with hopefully power to add if jos can get them playing  in a more aggressive manner . .........maybe jos will play abdi in his preferred position and he'll come good as everyone starts with a clean slate and no baggage with the new boss . .....we'll have to wait and see what happens but  think it's a bit premature to be writing anyone off just yet 

100%.

What a particular player did under CC has no bearing on his future. So many players were out of position, or fed off scraps, or instructed to play Uber-cautiously. You can already tell that isn’t going to be the case now.

2 minutes ago, vulva said:

Had Rhodes been here during the first season of Carlos, we would have been promoted. 

That's an interesting debating point. Does that assume that Hooper would be at the club or not? The reason for asking that is Hooper contributed in no short measure to that first season run at the play-off final. Would Rhodes' contribution have equaled or bettered Hooper's return? 

6 hours ago, GY-owl.4 said:

I didnt want him.

I thought if we did buy him he would do alright, (alot better than he has!) but i didnt want him, 

not really because of him, but i was happy with who we had up there. ive always rated Hooper, FF has to play and i had loads of belief that Joao would continue to improve, (with game time) Fletcher brings a wealth of experience from top flight footy and 2 days previous we had brought Winnall in who was flying at Barnsley.

I knew we was short at CB, our full backs wasnt good enough for the way CC wanted us to play and we had no-one in CM to come in when Hutch was injured. 

this lopsided balance within the squad cost us big time. 

This sums up pretty much how I felt at the time .

I'm getting fed up of all the excuses for him being so bad. Lack of confidence, wrong partnership, managers tactics, no width..... I know what I see. The man's spineless, falls over at slightest touch, couldn't feyt way out of a paper bag, has no pace and runs like a ostrich but slower, rarely gets in goal scoring positions and doesn't score when in position that should bust the net. I'd rather have Garry Madine than him. At least Madine would show some character and a proper goal poaches eye. In a poor Bolton team he's managed to up his worth to more than we'd get for Rhodes. That's someone fighting to show he's not a bad player. On the other hand, Rhodes looks to have surrendered. 

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

The Jordan Rhodes of Huddersfield and Blackburn Yes

The Jordan Rhodes of Middlesboro and Sheffield Wednesday No.

I think the point that Vulva is adding is that, if we played the direct expansive football as seen during Carlos' first season, the type of player that Rhodes is would have been a very different proposition. It is possible that could have been the case but, even then, I think we would have signed either Hooper or Rhodes if they were both available and not both. Could Rhodes have done any better than Hooper that season? Maybe not, even a fit and in form Rhodes may not have been as good. 

It's the same old story with football fans the world over.........................when a player is out of the team he becomes the answer to all the problems.

When he is in the team but not playing well he is a liability and should be dropped, sold, shot............delete as appropriate.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, vulva said:

Had Rhodes been here during the first season of Carlos, we would have been promoted. 

Maybe if you go back a further 2 years Look how much the game has changed in the last 3 or 4 years, and it's not difficult to see why Rhodes struggles

Even in Carlos's first year, when we were more on the front foot, it involved a high energy pressing game

1 hour ago, Semedo's ferret said:

I'm getting fed up of all the excuses for him being so bad. Lack of confidence, wrong partnership, managers tactics, no width..... I know what I see. The man's spineless, falls over at slightest touch, couldn't feyt way out of a paper bag, has no pace and runs like a ostrich but slower, rarely gets in goal scoring positions and doesn't score when in position that should bust the net. I'd rather have Garry Madine than him. At least Madine would show some character and a proper goal poaches eye. In a poor Bolton team he's managed to up his worth to more than we'd get for Rhodes. That's someone fighting to show he's not a bad player. On the other hand, Rhodes looks to have surrendered. 

He's to soft needs more aggression , gets knocked off the ball far to easy , definitely slow

His attributes were poaching goals and he seems to have lost that now aswell

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

The Jordan Rhodes of Huddersfield and Blackburn Yes

The Jordan Rhodes of Middlesboro and Sheffield Wednesday No.

I think if Gestede had come with him we wouldn't be having this debate ..

That's why he dried up so to speak his supply was taken from him which proves how restricted he is ....

I would like to know though ....

DID Carlos really want him in the first place ..

I didn't want him,  but I don't buy players for Wednesday , nor does anyone else on here ..........

Thought he played one of his best games for us Saturday night, he didn't give the ball away when he dropped deep, and he held the ball up better than usual. Yes he did have two good chances, but so did Joao. In fact Joao's were more clear cut than Rhodes chances, and he got man of the match. And who set up the chances for Lucas. With a striker up front with him, width offered from wing backs and 2 central players behind him I do think it will come, I'd consistently play him until the end of the season regardless of who is fit. Everyone jumping on his back, at least he's not injury prone like the rest of our centre forwards ey? Don't see Fletcher or Fessi helping out with avoiding relegation do we? Nope

6 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

I think if Gestede had come with him we wouldn't be having this debate ..

That's why he dried up so to speak his supply was taken from him which proves how restricted he is ....

I would like to know though ....

DID Carlos really want him in the first place ..

I didn't want him,  but I don't buy players for Wednesday , nor does anyone else on here ..........

I am as dazzled by star names as anyone else so I really did think 'WOW' when I saw we had signed Jordan Rhodes but did think at time it was a bit excessive after getting Winnall couple of days before.

I really find it hard to believe this was a CC signing. Does come across as a lack of joined up thinking by the club with recruitment.

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am as dazzled by star names as anyone else so I really did think 'WOW' when I saw we had signed Jordan Rhodes but did think at time it was a bit excessive after getting Winnall couple of days before.

I really find it hard to believe this was a CC signing. Does come across as a lack of joined up thinking by the club with recruitment.

Agreed...

Blackburn Middlesborough and JR have done alright out of it though haven't they ?

Rhodes all round play was really good on Saturday. He bought others into play well, and did a lot of good work outside the box... He sort of had to, because we really were poor in terms of delivery.

How many players put a good cross in in the entire game?  Jones with the free kick.. and Rhodes himself. Other than that all our balls in were really poor, step forward Morgan Fox with his 3 efforts to deliver, the third of which ended up just being a frustrated hoof out of play. He wasn't alone tho.. Wallace didn't put a good cross in all day and neither did Palmer. I guess Reach had one good cross, but he picked out Morgan Fox on the right wing.. so.. kind of a waste a soon as the cross went in.

The best chances were really the two strikers playing each other in. Joao slotting thru to Rhodes who got a good save from the keeper, with Reach missing the open goal after.. and Rhodes cross to Joao at the back post for what should have been a simple header and a certain goal.

Rhodes was offering all game long, on the shoulder of people, or working an angle, but we very rarely used it. Instead we did things like delay and play sideways, or shoot over from distance. The midfield is really the issue, not Rhodes.

I also find it interesting that after a game where Joao missed probably 3 easy goals, the first reaction is to want Rhodes out. Agenda rather than actually paying attention tbh.

7 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Rhodes all round play was really good on Saturday. He bought others into play well, and did a lot of good work outside the box... He sort of had to, because we really were poor in terms of delivery.

How many players put a good cross in in the entire game?  Jones with the free kick.. and Rhodes himself. Other than that all our balls in were really poor, step forward Morgan Fox with his 3 efforts to deliver, the third of which ended up just being a frustrated hoof out of play. He wasn't alone tho.. Wallace didn't put a good cross in all day and neither did Palmer. I guess Reach had one good cross, but he picked out Morgan Fox on the right wing.. so.. kind of a waste a soon as the cross went in.

The best chances were really the two strikers playing each other in. Joao slotting thru to Rhodes who got a good save from the keeper, with Reach missing the open goal after.. and Rhodes cross to Joao at the back post for what should have been a simple header and a certain goal.

Rhodes was offering all game long, on the shoulder of people, or working an angle, but we very rarely used it. Instead we did things like delay and play sideways, or shoot over from distance. The midfield is really the issue, not Rhodes.

I also find it interesting that after a game where Joao missed probably 3 easy goals, the first reaction is to want Rhodes out. Agenda rather than actually paying attention tbh.

Missed chances aside, the biggest issue is midfield taking worldlies instead of simple through balls or chips over the top. Those are what good strikers lap up. It's not all about crosses (Those help too though!) buy variety into the box.