Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Hate to have to point it out, but Middlesborough did now. In his last 8 games of Boro's promotion season, Rhodes scored 5 and made 2. His goals were what got them promoted, without them they'd have been in the play-off lottery. After they went up they played a lone striker and so any criticism of him in that regard is.. "He's not as good as Alvara Negredo, who's in double figures for Spain after 21 caps." Shame on Rhodes!

With regard to the international situation. I'm Scottish, so yeah.. I'm familiar with the situation. Strachan always maintained that it was due to playing one man up front and having runners off him. That meant the main striker either had to be very mobile and able to fashion chances by himself, as Kenny Miller had done for years, or have good hold up play and the strength to bring other in. Neither of those are Rhodes forte. Why Scotland didn't use Rhodes (or even play 2 up top) in games against 'lesser' sides is a bit of a mystery among Scotland fans. Wales (of 2013), Macedonia, Lithuania.. Scotland played 4231 regardless of the opposition, and that probably part of Strachan's downfall. There was a long running complaint that Strachan tended to pick favourites.. you can look at teh international career of Leigh Griffiths as comparable to Rhodes. Griffiths was scoring for fun for Celtic and putting in some decent Champions League performances, yet Strachan wouldn't call him up, let along pick him. Instead opting for 'out of favour at their club' players like Fletcher or Stevie Naismith. Griffiths eventually got an opportunity and the tow freekicks against England secured him the number 9 shirt. For years tho, he and Rhodes were ignored. It seems Strachan was a bit of a Carlos in terms of having his favourites, and sticking with them thru thick and thin.
With a new manager on the way (Michael O'Neill?) it's likely that Rhodes will find himself in future squads. I'd be very surprised if Rhodes, Griffiths and McBurnie weren't in the next squad.

Oh, you might ask why Malky Mackay didn't pick him for his one game in charge.. But Malky Mackay didn't pick any strikers. He played Matty Phillips as a center forward, on his own. Malky Mackay's an idiot.

For me, Rhodes main assets are two fold. His finishing and his movement. The later of these is probably the one that makes the most difference. Unfortunately for us we don't have a lot of genuinely good passers in our side.
Wallace can't cross and opts to shoot whenever he can, not thread balls thru.

Lee tends not to pass thru defenses as lay it off and make a run off the ball, hoping to receive it himself.

Reach can cross, but hasn't shown a lot in the way of through balls.

Jones tends not to look directly forward with his passing, generally going to wide men rather than forwards.

Boyd seems to be akin to Lee, playing short passes and making runs to work an angle.

Bannan is maybe the only player we have who looks to put a ball thru a defense.

Players like Nando or Matias and possibly Pelupessy may suit Rhodes a lot more as they are much better on the ball and can spot runs.

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with all of this post, it makes a pleasant change to read a constructive argument rather than the usual 'he's cr@p' or 'he's the second coming'.

For what it's worth, I rate JR, was glad we bought him but struggle to see how he fits into our team. His best partner would be Fletcher but where does that leave Hooper, FF, etc. It's a conundrum and I'm glad I'm not a manager.

Oh and anyone who thinks Madine is a better bet must have been smoking smoking something illegal

I won’t criticise him for the performance against Cardiff, I thought he did OK

However, my thoughts are, we need to get rid of him sooner rather than later His stock is unlikely to appreciate, even were he to score a goal or two From what I’ve read and seen regarding the way the coach likes to play, and the current vogue for overloading the midfield, he ain’t gonna be scoring loads anytime soon

We paid too much for him, based on his value from years ago He won’t score the volume of goals that will enable us to get our money back, and with not many clubs at this level, interested in that type of player, we need to get rid while there still might be a few takers Looks a League One striker to me

Edited by gurujuan

I don't know why he's not been the player many thought he would be.

His confidence seems shot at times.

I can't believe he's lost pace at 28 or lost his goal scoring ability. He was a good finisher and that's usually the last thing to go. Tricky Trevor could finish at 37.

Scotland and Middlesbrough,who were then a premier league side, I don't think you can take anything from that. He's not premier league or international standard, never has been. But he's always been good at this level.

I can't see any physical reason for him not to be the player he was.

It's not like he's old or been plagued by injuries.

I don't think we should write him off yet.

People got on hooper's back and all he needed was a proper run of games and to not be tutted and moaned at every week.

Maybe he's not as good as hooper and joao is improving but he isn't a bad third choice is he.

Edited by Eightace

2 minutes ago, Eightace said:

I can't believe he's lost pace at 28 or lost his goal scoring ability. He was a good finisher and that's usually the last thing to go. Tricky Trevor could finish at 37.

Scotland and Middlesbrough,who were then a premier league side, I don't think you can take anything from that. He's not premier league or international standard, never has been. But he's always been good at this level.

People got on hooper's back and all he needed was a proper run of games and to not be tutted and moaned at every week.

Maybe he's not as good as hooper and joao is improving but he isn't a bad third choice is he.

I really believe it’s more about the game changing Sure, the end result is, you have to put the ball in the net, but at this level, clubs are looking for a lot more from their front men Poachers don’t really contribute much to the way the team functions It’s no coincidence that there are hardly any strikers like Jordan Rhodes, plying their trade in the top two divisions

Who Scored.com Championship Stats this season:

Player      Mins Played      Goals      Assists     

Hooper         1931                10            3

Joao              598                  2             0

Rhodes         1289                4             1

Fletcher        1072                 2            1         
Nuhiu            264                  1             1            

I think we can all agree that none of the strikers received wonderfull supply as Carlos sucked the life out of our attacking play. If we agree on that then I think we can safely say that we didn't play to anyone's strengths, which makes Hooper's goal return very impressive, but anyone who watches him knows he's got the ability to adapt his game to suit. Joao has spent a fair amount of those minutes spent out on the wing so I don't think it's black and white with his stats. 

When you see those figures it makes you realise that Joss has got some job on his hands as without Hooper we look to be fizzed as we haven't got enough goals in us. 

I do think though maybe he's not strong enough mentally to be playing in a team that's not doing well. Like Reach hes a confidence player.

If we were playing like we did Carlos's first season he'd be banging them in.

I wouldn't sell him unless we got a really decent offer.

He's still got something to offer I'm sure.

34 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

Whilst I don't necessarily agree with all of this post, it makes a pleasant change to read a constructive argument rather than the usual 'he's cr@p' or 'he's the second coming'.

For what it's worth, I rate JR, was glad we bought him but struggle to see how he fits into our team. His best partner would be Fletcher but where does that leave Hooper, FF, etc. It's a conundrum and I'm glad I'm not a manager.

Oh and anyone who thinks Madine is a better bet must have been smoking smoking something illegal

Obviously first two names down on team sheet as no one else can score by the looks of it.

TEN MILLION POUNDS

Now lets be honest lads

I hope he comes good...he is still young enough to come good, under Jos he may come good

As things stand 

10 MILLON POUNDS?

I never call Wednesday players crap, even some of them that have been crap...Rhodes is far awy from being crap...but he is also , at the minute..Miles away from being worth 

10 MILLION POUNDS........

2 hours ago, cookeh said:

If I were judging him purely on his games under Carlos, I'd be right there with you wondering what the fuss was about and why we paid so much for him.

heh funny thing football. I saw a player working hard and making 3 easy game winning chances for his team. Rhodes should have been a match winner on Saturday, but Joao and Reach let him down by not putting the chances away.

I'm 98% sure that if Matias had started instead of Rhodes and made the same 3 chances Rhodes did then there'd be a thread on here about how Matias was the 2nd coming and how we need to build a team around him!

Dear of dear. I really think you are playing to an audience. Should have, could have don't necessarily win you games. Are we watching the same player. You have already stated earlier that one of his best attributes is his finishing. Are you referring to his current career or when he played for Huddersfield and Blackburn. Ill ask again, what in your opinion is playing to his strengths. In his last game, he made a couple of goal scoring opportunities apart from that Wednesday may as well have been playing with 10 men. You have an unhealthy fascination about JR. maybe its because you share the same homeland, who knows but you. Also have you ever slated Wallace, Fletcher, Boyd, Bannan, Palmer or even Bullen for that matter who have come in for some serious critisism of late on this forum.. Just seems to be a little pattern forming. Might be wrong though. 

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, Hawkowl said:

He's been done for wounding,assault on women and sexual assault.

Plus a whole host of other charges.

Are you not embarrassed by what you wrote above?

FFS.

Clearly I was being sarcastic.

4 hours ago, CLswfc said:

1. So you think in your opinion that Rhodes will come good with a new a manager. At present thats an opinion not facts which we look at what as past. So in you opinion Rhodes is or will be doing better in the next few weeks or so. I think this is a defence of Rhodes but wishful thinking. The facts are he as had more than a fair crack of the whip and for someone who massively exceeded the transfer record at our club, I think the return we have is beyond belief.  The facts are that not on the odd occasion he as missed the opportunity to make a name for himself but failed on many occasion. It may not be his fault the price tag p,laced on his shoulders but I think we should be getting a better return. 

Every player as a price but again your opinion is that it would be foolish to sell him. Why? 

Also was it CC 's fault that whilst he was in charge he continually missed open nets and did absolutely nothing for the team. No Im not just looking at the goals column however it could and should be a lot healthier than what it is hence one of the reasons we are nearer to the bottom 3 than the top 6. If you think that a player of Rhodes experience and the performances which he as put in whilst with Wednesday deserves a starting place each week, then you can't be surprised by the lowly league position. Everyone deserves a chance in which Rhodes really as had plenty. How long in your opinion do we keep with Rhodes until you say enough is enough. Do you know what, I really hope Im proved wrong but without sounding too harsh he really doesn't deserve a start at present. In fact if it wasn't for the fact we have so many injuries I would doubt very much if he would get into the squad. I remember being at the first match I think was Wigan away, and since that game, there as been nothing to change my mind that this was a poor signing.

You are obsessed with the transfer fee.

Its done, its gone, get over it, treat Rhodes like all the other Strikers at the club.

They have been feeding off scraps for 2 seasons, Rhodes hasn't played in an attacking, on form Wednesday team.

Guest RocketOwl
1 hour ago, 109Waddle said:

Has madine ever scored lots of the goals in the championship? League one maybe

Well does modern day not count with wednesday fans on here? He's on course for 20 in this current championship - not the one 4 years ago.

8 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Well does modern day not count with wednesday fans on here? He's on course for 20 in this current championship - not the one 4 years ago.

You used to love him though, and sing about him firing us back to the Premier League. 

Guest RocketOwl

I think the thing that has always annoyed me about this particular signing was that it was never needed.

We had needed a centre back since the start of Carlos season and even to this day I still don't think we have purchased a centre back to equal the ability of Tom Lees. 

1 minute ago, RocketOwl said:

Clearly I was being sarcastic.

I guessed you probably were,but it was only clear to you.

So tell me why Madine and not King?

Both are criminals both are drunken bully boys.

The only difference I see is Madine feeds fans obsession with ex players and ex managers. 

FFS.

8 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Its done, its gone, get over it, treat Rhodes like all the other Strikers at the club.

They have been feeding off scraps for 2 seasons, Rhodes hasn't played in an attacking, on form Wednesday team.

Where am I obsessed pal. Is he or isn't he the record transfer . So its the rest of the teams fault he doesn't score. That's one of your problems, blame everyone else. I think the real problem I have with you is that if it doesn't fit with your agenda, everyone's' a thick tvvat,  Isn't that right . Getting to be a bit of a stalker ,dear boy.  Like it as been said time and time  on here, the post not the poster. That unfortunately, is your obsession.

1 hour ago, Eightace said:

Francis was world class in his day; stretching it a bit with that reference. 

Rhodes has succeeded at Huddersfield (mostly in league 1) and Blackburn; he’s flopped at Boro and is (so far). 

His best games of the season were generally against us. 

Guest RocketOwl
7 minutes ago, Hawkowl said:

I guessed you probably were,but it was only clear to you.

So tell me why Madine and not King?

Both are criminals both are drunken bully boys.

The only difference I see is Madine feeds fans obsession with ex players and ex managers. 

FFS.

I wasn't clearly referencing the fact that King once scored regularly in this league - making te point Rhodes record is in the past to.

Madine is not a Marlon King and to tar him with that brush is pathetic really. He made a mistake when he was younger and paid the price. 

He goes out on that pitch now and fights for 90 minutes to show the world he can play in the championship. 

If Rhodes showed half the work ethic of the new madine he would be doing a lot better.

25 minutes ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

You are simply trying to put folk off by stating the "transfer fee" over and over again"..Makes you wonder who is obsessed by it...doesn't it?

anyone who disagrees is thick and the fact escapes you that a striker we had in league one years ago is performing better up front  than Rhodes   in a team thats below us in the league

Begs the question of not only who is "obsessed" but who is rather thick doesn't it?

Edited by asteener1867
  • Thanks 1