Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

19 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

In simple terms, no he certainly hasn't to date. He was brought in on that kind of package because of his reputation as a predator and lethal goal scorer (I would assume). People can go on about the lack of creativity and sparsity of opportunities because of the style of play. But the thing about the Rhodes' type of striker is they should not need many opportunities to score. You pay that kind of money for a guy that buries half chances or the type that can be out of the game for 89 minutes but, when it matters in that other minute, to hurt the opposition.

Jordan Rhodes has had many chances that I can remember that he could and should have scored. Obviously I want him to come good but nobody can say that he has not had enough chance to do what he is paid to do. I was very happy when he signed and backed him all along but I have now lost faith that he can ever be the player I was hoping for.

For someone with such a reputation, there weren’t exactly many takers though, were there? What on earth prompted us to pay such a fee, for someone who was clearly on the wain 

Luhukay does generally like a big target man and smaller striker alongside going by his previous sides which is what Rhodes has done well with before.

I think in the summer we'll have a choice of building the team around Hooper or building it around Rhodes.Clever link up play and passing through teams with Hooper or big mobile target man with Rhodes and tons of direct crosses.

Not sure we can have both and if Forestieri plays that suits Hooper far more than Rhodes.I'd look at Hooper,FF and more delicate stuff for home games and a Rhodes/big man pair for away games.No point selling him, never has been.

Rhodes is a great player, he's just out of practice because he never got the service. Now he has, he's already lost his confidence due to the way CC played the game i.e. every single attack down the wings with maybe one decent cross per game if lucky. No wonder Rhodes couldn't score with those kind of tactics, no wonder his confidence has been knocked

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, pgmetcalf said:

Rhodes is a great player, he's just out of practice because he never got the service. Now he has, he's already lost his confidence due to the way CC played the game i.e. every single attack down the wings with maybe one decent cross per game if lucky. No wonder Rhodes couldn't score with those kind of tactics, no wonder his confidence has been knocked

lol

What is this thread. It's Carlos fault, it's Joao and Reach fault. It's everyone's fault but not his because he is a GREAT player.

well you, great players don't play like a shell of their selves for this long a time due to confidence. 

4 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

lol

What is this thread. It's Carlos fault, it's Joao and Reach fault. It's everyone's fault but not his because he is a GREAT player.

well you, great players don't play like a shell of their selves for this long a time due to confidence. 

RocketOwl you are without doubt  the most knowledgeable football man on this forum and I salute you sir, keep up the good work educating the unwashed masses.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, sMacLean said:

Luhukay does generally like a big target man and smaller striker alongside going by his previous sides which is what Rhodes has done well with before.

I think in the summer we'll have a choice of building the team around Hooper or building it around Rhodes.Clever link up play and passing through teams with Hooper or big mobile target man with Rhodes and tons of direct crosses.

Not sure we can have both and if Forestieri plays that suits Hooper far more than Rhodes.I'd look at Hooper,FF and more delicate stuff for home games and a Rhodes/big man pair for away games.No point selling him, never has been.

Why wouldn’t you pick Hooper to play alongside a big man? Hooper  scores goals, Hooper scores goals  in a side that does not play to his strengths (Wednesday), Hooper scores goals in a side that creates little (Wednesday), Hooper plays in the same side that Jordan Rhodes does (Wednesday) and yet still scores goals. If it’s a choice between Hooper and Rhodes there’s only one choice...the goal scorer Hooper.

• Like 1

Guest RocketOwl
31 minutes ago, Walt said:

Why wouldn’t you pick Hooper to play alongside a big man? Hooper  scores goals, Hooper scores goals  in a side that does not play to his strengths (Wednesday), Hooper scores goals in a side that creates little (Wednesday), Hooper plays in the same side that Jordan Rhodes does (Wednesday) and yet still scores goals. If it’s a choice between Hooper and Rhodes there’s only one choice...the goal scorer Hooper.

lol great response and so true.

53 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

lol

Rhodes, Rhodes, Rhodes, Row your boat, up the Championship, merrily merrily merrily, up to Premier league. Cheers.

•  

3 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Intersting he keeps refraining from mentioning why I posted that. Ah well backs up the spin for the pro Rhodes debate.

The point I made was that I thought Rhodes was a brilliant signing at the time. You spouted up noting that you were more or less the only one on here who said it wasn't. Yet on the same day, you were singing the above, like a canary. 

Busted. 

Flush. 

Guest RocketOwl
4 minutes ago, vulva said:

The point I made was that I thought Rhodes was a brilliant signing at the time. You spouted up noting that you were more or less the only one on here who said it wasn't. Yet on the same day, you were singing the above, like a canary. 

Busted. 

Flush. 

Nope. It was a thread suggesting potential songs for the new signing. 

Thats it. A* for trying.

20 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

And for a little perspective as to how a couple in particular have been compared and treated by supporters generally, here are the averages for players in their entire time at Wednesday. The statistics are from whoscored.com so I cannot vouch for their accuracy, but nothing shows itself as obviously wrong.

SWFC CAREER - CHAMPIONSHIP MINUTES PER GOAL

Hooper         196

Forestieri      223

Winnall         250

Fletcher        273

Matias          331

Rhodes        380

Joao             381

Nuhiu           403

Lee               564

Wallace        601

Reach           858

Abdi              892

Minutes per goal is a little obscure for real clarity, especially for strikers who rarely get a full 90 minutes between them. So I thought I'd convert the above table into goals per season (on the assumption that they were to play every minute of a 46 game league season).

SWFC CAREER - GOALS PER FULL SEASON (BASED ON MINUTES PER GOAL)

Hooper           21.1

Forestieri        18.6

Winnall           16.6

Fletcher          15.2

Matias            12.5

Rhodes          10.9

Joao               10.9

Nuhiu             10.3

Lee                   7.3

Wallace            6.9

Reach              4.8

Abdi                 4.6

Pudil                2.4

Fox                  1.8

Bannan            1.7

Hutchinson       1.7

Lees                 1.4

Jones               1.2

Loovens           0.4

Hunt, Butterfield, Boyd, Venancio etc. have not yet scored for us. Palmer has once, but it looks like this website doesn't record statistics for League One.

SOURCE : whoscored.com

Edited by DJMortimer

11 minutes ago, vulva said:

Busted. 

Flush. 

I think there were a few of us who though it wasn't a good signing at the time and the money could have been better spent elsewhere. I take no comfort from having thought that though.

On 20/01/2018 at 19:23, jfr142 said:

He should be sold if anyone will have him.

So back to the original statement. He should be sold if anyone will have him. 

60-70% of us think not. I'm in that camp. Give the lad a chance and get behind him.