Raphael Honigstein Comments on our Jos

39 minutes ago, brando said:

Dont you need pace to counter attack

Indeed, but again the bit that stands out to me is that he seems to have a flexible approach which I like the sound of. Who know's who'll come in in January, a couple of loan signings could make all the difference until the end of the season.

7 minutes ago, dnhc said:

we cannot knock carlos for not wanting to concede, i would imagine every manager (still in a job) sets up expecting/hoping not to concede.

however, carlos was involving too many men and passes in getting the ball from our keeper, to our strikeforce, and this was taking up so much time the opposition was back in it's defensive positions way before we arrived, as if anyone on the opposition side showed for a challenge, it saw the ball go backwards to our defenders, then slowly worked crossfield.

using multiple men up in complex buildup play merely means you have less people in position to win the ball, and/or strike at goal once the ball arrives in what should have been the opposition's danger area.

Bang on.

Most goals come from surprise / catching the opposition out of position.

Allowing them to literally walk back into formation whilst dithering around the edges simply plays into the oppositions hands unless you have the quality of David Silva and the short darting runs of Aguero to unlock even the most organised of defences.  We had something similar with Bannans or FFs interplay and Lee or Hooper running on - non of those are available.

12 hours ago, simpark said:

It helps if you have great players to play on the break like this fella who he had at Hertha in 2014 - some goals like these would be most welcome 

Similar to Lucas João me thinks haha hope we see the best of Lucas now

6 hours ago, toooldforthis said:

Big Dave in a hole in Kosovo...he can’t play football and never will. He’s a buffoon and embarrassing at SWFC. No other club in the UK makes enquiries about his availability. Seriously? Big Dave? He typifies the farce we are all in...please no

So Nuhiu, who bleeds blue and white and runs his blood to water every time he plays for us, is "embarrassing" to our club and players like Lewis McGugan who just sat stealing a wage and getting fat aren't?

13 hours ago, Bottler Owl said:

Just been listening to the latest Totally Football Show podcast and someone had contacted them asking Raphael Honigstein what we should expect from Jos Luhukay. For those who aren’t aware of Honigstein, he’s a German journalist and author who really knows his onions about German (and football in general) football.

Of Luhukay he said that it’s a really interesting appointment, that he’s a manager that gets a team to play to it’s strengths, is very pragmatic and comes from the Dutch school of thought of Feyonoord and Rotterdam (rather than Cruyff possession football) of getting the job done and adapting your style to win in whatever way is required. He tends to set teams up to not concede and often focuses on counter attacking football. He finished off saying that it could be a smart move by the club to appoint him.

Sounds good to me! :luhukay:

I like a lot of what I've heard about Jos. The only thing is I don't think we have anything like the squad needed to play on the counter attack, we're weak at the back and have no pace.

So it will be interesting to see if we play a different style which he's used to, I think we will have to.

I think Joao could have a big part to play though. Jos is known for improving younger players, and Joao is the one forward we have who does have pace.

2 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

I like a lot of what I've heard about Jos. The only thing is I don't think we have anything like the squad needed to play on the counter attack, we're weak at the back and have no pace.

So it will be interesting to see if we play a different style which he's used to, I think we will have to.

I think Joao could have a big part to play though. Jos is known for improving younger players, and Joao is the one forward we have who does have pace.

Indeed, think Reach will be his kind of player as well as long as he can convince him to not shirk as many challenges, Boyd as well I reckon. Definitely need a couple of players in to add another dimension, even if it's just loan players. Carlos brought in these kind of players but never really utilised them.

15 minutes ago, Bottler Owl said:

Indeed, think Reach will be his kind of player as well as long as he can convince him to not shirk as many challenges, Boyd as well I reckon. Definitely need a couple of players in to add another dimension, even if it's just loan players. Carlos brought in these kind of players but never really utilised them.

Yes I think Reach could be another one we really start to get the best of in time, we all know he has it in him. He's not rapid but good running with the ball so he could make up one wing position, we really need a new addition for the right though. 

I think Rhodes and Fletcher even when fit will be on the way out. Rhodes has been disastrous for the outlay spent though so maybe Jos will use him as a poacher if we go with the 2 strikers approach. If not I wonder how much we'll even get for him now- I was desperate for us to cancel the deal in the summer but the club was either naive or it was too late by then. Feel that deal is really going to set us back a lot.

Edited by swfc-dan

Guest RocketOwl
2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Why him? 

Under Carlos we have seen a feeling of apathy develop for a long while through defensive tactics. 

I thought Poyet Brighton teams were always teams that played aggressive in your face football, he knows English football and has been relatively successful. His South American origins may have bought best out of Fernando.

My first choice wlwas Jokanovic but for a choice without a club then Poyet.

Guest RocketOwl
2 hours ago, MalagaOwl said:

Wasnt that when the Championship was still called Division 1?

It's still two promotions from the league directly below the premier league however you want to try and discredit him.

If you're eating a Snickers bar it's still a marathon.

Guest RocketOwl
2 hours ago, roaminowl said:

I wonder how many great managers over the years have 'filled in' for a couple of games while his bosses appoint a real manager?

Not sure mate, carry on wondering and let me know. 

1 hour ago, RocketOwl said:

Under Carlos we have seen a feeling of apathy develop for a long while through defensive tactics. 

I thought Poyet Brighton teams were always teams that played aggressive in your face football, he knows English football and has been relatively successful. His South American origins may have bought best out of Fernando.

My first choice wlwas Jokanovic but for a choice without a club then Poyet.

didnt get them promoted either though did he. 

Dont think it's essential that you have championship experience. Look at Bruce. Not going perfect for him is it.

More important that you have promotions on your c.v I think especially with the fact we have a very good squad of players and it's not like that Jos has to punch above his weight with the squad he has he just has to tweak a few things and get there mentality right.

4 hours ago, Bottler Owl said:

Jeez, I was just trying to shed a bit of light on the guy on the basis that people don't know much about him. If the report about him had have been poor then I'd have still posted the summary but as someone else on here has said Honigstein tells it as he sees it, if someone is crap he'll say so.

Maybe we should all sit in (metaphorical) silence on here and wait and see then. lol

nothing wrong with posting it mate .....my gripe is more to do with the people who put 2 and 2 together and come with 5 ........someone's already whinging that he plays the same way as carlos on the strength of what some journo wrote .

3 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

So Nuhiu, who bleeds blue and white and runs his blood to water every time he plays for us, is "embarrassing" to our club and players like Lewis McGugan who just sat stealing a wage and getting fat aren't?

McGugan has gone...I love it when Dave comes on, I love the energy he brings onto the pitch...but he's not a footballer and he's not what we need. I'm not anti-Dave...I'm not anti McGugan and I'm not anti Megson...but none of them are right for SWFC. Big Dave is great fun...nothing more

17 hours ago, Bottler Owl said:

Just been listening to the latest Totally Football Show podcast and someone had contacted them asking Raphael Honigstein what we should expect from Jos Luhukay. For those who aren’t aware of Honigstein, he’s a German journalist and author who really knows his onions about German (and football in general) football.

Of Luhukay he said that it’s a really interesting appointment, that he’s a manager that gets a team to play to it’s strengths, is very pragmatic and comes from the Dutch school of thought of Feyonoord and Rotterdam (rather than Cruyff possession football) of getting the job done and adapting your style to win in whatever way is required. He tends to set teams up to not concede and often focuses on counter attacking football. He finished off saying that it could be a smart move by the club to appoint him.

Sounds good to me! :luhukay:

44 mins and 25 seconds in Honigstein talks positively about our new boss.

Interestingly, not an advocate of free -flowing footy so clashes with DC's (old?) philosophy.

Hony really rates him but doesn't know why he was on dole for 2 years.

Think Wilder may have met his match Friday, if our lads can shake themselves this time and help new manager ...and us.

17 hours ago, RocketOwl said:

Forgive me to go agaisnt the grain here, but after two years of watching Carlos set up to not concede why are we now all getting excited by a manager that's going to do the same?

I sort if agree with you but it's the adaptability aspect that is the most important. We all know Carlos had no back up plan. This guy I believe does. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what his transfer strategy is but it'll probably be the summer before we see this. I wonder if he'll explore the option of going for proven championship players like Carlos mainly did or whether we'll see an influx of players from abroad. I reckon Jos will target the German, Dutch and perhaps Belgian Markets.

Edited by Great Big Galaa