Jos Luhukay

Love the moustache and pretty keen on the fact that he got Hertha Berlin promoted from the German Second Tier. Rather less keen on the fact that it'll be another name for our fans to butcher and the fact that he only lasted three months in his last job.

We could probably do worse, he's got plenty of experience and seems to last longer in jobs than Carlos did before he came to us. That said, I've got a horrible feeling he could turn into the next expensive foreign Championship flop, like when Stale Solbakken ended up putting Wolves on the path to relegation. Norwich haven't exactly ended up doing well with Daniel Farke either. A lot of it depends on having a good atmosphere around the club and stable management behind the scenes, something we're not exactly excelling at currently.

2 minutes ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

I'll take him, none of the other candidates (pipe dream silly ones excluded) excited me anyway. I don't buy you have to know the league in order to be successful, plenty of managers do well in their first season in the Championship.

Fingers crossed we can look back and laugh at this thread in a year or so after we've smashed the division to pieces.

Ah yes, but which division will we talking about in a year's time? Still we may have to get weaker before we get stronger and if this guy does get the job he'll deserve our full support. Taking over at this juncture will not be easy. 

The fact that DC is considering this appointment says it all. 45 years a fan and I've never felt so distant from the club.

There are several British candidates who could have steadied the ship, however despite the fact that we have a depleted squad, are hovering above the relegation zone and confidence is in short supply, he's looking at managers with no experience of English football.

Hard to take any positives out of this.

1 minute ago, Will69 said:

According to myself following German football and having actual German relatives I say you’re giving him too much praise.

The teams he took up he did so with large budgets, the gulf between lesser clubs and the fallen giants in 2 Bundesliga is huge. It simply isn’t like the Championship where every club can beat the other, it isn’t the same at all.

In Bundesliga itself he has little to shout about.

Sorry but it really is a bizarre appointment and I sense so many people are going to be disappointed.

But hey ho.

Stopped reading after that...a lot of Bundesliga journo's are saying different

Guest Hillsborough Mole
2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I have a sneaky feeling that this fella's not going to turn us down

Maybe thats what Nixon meant when he said he fits our profile

1 minute ago, daveyboy66 said:

Stopped reading after that...a lot of Bundesliga journo's are saying different

Who? Who is saying different? Show me who says this is a great appointment for Sheffield Wednesday and we will all be delighted?

PLEASE.

2 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

If it's him then I'm cautiously optimistic. 

His record looks decent, 3 promotions with it and I'm sure his win % will be affected by playing in the top league after promotion. Unlike Carlos's 50+ % because of two seasons towards the top but without getting promotion.

And none of the others who are linked have 3 promotions. Lambert, who I have wanted as manager the last 3 months has 2. Grayson has 2 I think and none from the second tier. Poyet one and again none from the second tier. Karanka one. McClaren none.

Any appointment is a gamble. Is it because he's foreign? Did Mourinho have any English experience before his first spell at Chelsea? Klopp? Wagner? Wenger? Yes they're out of our league but we are not in the same league as Chelsea, Liverpool etc. How about Karanka and Jokanovic? Neither have those had previous experience.

He will definitely have fresh eyes on the squad of players we have, and as already pointed out he doesn't look to be a yes man and will play who he wants. Let's give him a chance.

I just hope I've not wasted my time by writing this and him not becoming our new manager now...

This!

17 years in the German Leagues is a decent record (far more impressive than Carlos's record when he came here). Let's give the guy a real chance. It seems he has a record of taking failing clubs and turning them round so could be a very astute appointment. Also his contacts in Germany could prove very useful in the transfer window.

Must admit though would have been more comfortable with garymegson but, who knows. The simple truth is no matter how good you are and your reputation any managerial appointment is as much as right person at right time in right place and that really is a lottery.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

The fact that DC is considering this appointment says it all. 45 years a fan and I've never felt so distant from the club.

There are several British candidates who could have steadied the ship, however despite the fact that we have a depleted squad, are hovering above the relegation zone and confidence is in short supply, he's looking at managers with no experience of English football.

Hard to take any positives out of this.

My thoughts also. Feeling very distant at the minute. 

Just now, WalthamOwl said:

The standard of football in the German 2nd division is nothing like the standard in the championship. Not quite as impressive getting teams out of that league imo. 

I disagree. The money in the German 2nd division isn't high but the quality of the football, the teams and crowds are very respectable. As is the Bundesliga. 

Guest Manwithastick
40 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Bring it on. 

Has managed much bigger clubs than us.

Welcome sir.

Who? 

And in 122 games at Augsburg he used 59 playersWTF:

This is what I said would happen, Chansiri will deem Carlos’ appointment a success , this is a carbon copy appointment and I’ve not a clue why anyone thought he would go down the expensive traditional British based manager that everyone seemed to want

championship experience isn’t always a key to success either,  Wagner at Huddersfield is a prime example 

"Briefly Jupp Heynckes (3x Bayern boss, Bundesliga and UCL winner) co trainer at Gladbach, made his name initially as a trusted asst to many bigger coaches, also Huub Stevens.  Gladbach were relegated from Bundesliga after he took over from Heynckes but he led them straight back up as champions. Promoted three times to Bundesliga, twice as champions (record points with Hertha), once as runners-up.  Style of play would not be pretty or expansive. Known for organised, dour stuff but that was mainly working with average players at Augsburg who he led to promotion in 2011 and kept them in up.

His Hertha Berlin side played 4-5-1 but scored most of their goals against 2.Bundesliga's lesser teams. His sides are renowned for good defensive records... presume lots of clean sheets.  Gained reputation for an expert at promotions from 2.Bundesliga so he left Augsburg to go to capital city club, Hertha. Naturally he won promotion at the first attempt as champions but don't recall over expansive, attractive football.  Took the job 2016 at Stuttgart in 2.Bundesliga who had just been relegated, won three of first five games but left post early with reports of differences of opinons with DOF.

If I had to sum up, it may not be pretty but players will put in a shift for him. But if you have an overload of flair players from carlos c, it may be bad news for a few."

Mark Lovell - ESPN Bayern Munich Correspondent | Sports Journalist Translator | Bundesliga Football Writer | ex Bayern captain

11 minutes ago, RockieOwl said:

If it's him then I'm cautiously optimistic. 

His record looks decent, 3 promotions with it and I'm sure his win % will be affected by playing in the top league after promotion. Unlike Carlos's 50+ % because of two seasons towards the top but without getting promotion.

And none of the others who are linked have 3 promotions. Lambert, who I have wanted as manager the last 3 months has 2. Grayson has 2 I think and none from the second tier. Poyet one and again none from the second tier. Karanka one. McClaren none.

Any appointment is a gamble. Is it because he's foreign? Did Mourinho have any English experience before his first spell at Chelsea? Klopp? Wagner? Wenger? Yes they're out of our league but we are not in the same league as Chelsea, Liverpool etc. How about Karanka and Jokanovic? Neither have those had previous experience.

He will definitely have fresh eyes on the squad of players we have, and as already pointed out he doesn't look to be a yes man and will play who he wants. Let's give him a chance.

I just hope I've not wasted my time by writing this and him not becoming our new manager now...

Great post mate. I’m firmly in the Luhukay camp for sure now!