Mass Boycott

1 hour ago, Pacific said:

pig

Any need? Seriously? 

We shouldn't really be labeling people, in the heat of the moment. Just because we lost a game of football and you don't agree with the posters point of view. 

Please keep it friendly

Ta. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

No no, I *like* debating and am always up for it - I just didn't think it was going to be possible when you said "I'll do it because I want to". Not that there's anything wrong with that as a sentiment, it just kind of immediately shuts down any potential for debate as far as I can see. Although here you are, so maybe i was wrong!

For the record, I wasn't being holier-than-thou at ALL - I tried to make it very clear i was just stating a personal preference, not a moral or ethical one. Apologies if that didn't come across.

My main point was more supposed to be that, personally, I don't ever really want to say I stopped going when things were bad, then returned when they were good again. So if I keep going, it's more for that reason than because I'm a 'sucker', that's all.

Interesting list of counter-examples, I'll look them up - wasn't aware of all of them, fair play.

Fair enough I acknowledge your reasons. Apologies for being critical.

Our loyal support is one thing that would make a well publicised protest in a game a very profound thing. Home attendance goes from 24k to 14k for a game and I think DC gets a clear message. The club already has my season ticket money so I am not harming the club but merely symbolically showing I do not support the way the club is currently being run.

1 hour ago, Garry Powell said:

dont think a boycott would achieve anything. They dont need our money . 30,000 chanting together  our frustration would i believe be more effective especially in a televised game.

Where are you going to get 30,000 from on Friday night when its on tv could be lucky to get 20,000 after today

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I would not support an organised boycott. Seems a bit OTT to me.

If people dont want to go v Wolves because its too expensive, too cold, too awkard to get to on a Friday when on TV fair enough.

At what point would you support one?

Genuine question.

21 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

But you’re allowed to go on a holier than thou diatribe at fans who actually want to turn up and support the team?

I’m happy to say I’m going to Hillsborough on Friday night and will cheer on the boys same as usual. For those of you trying to instigate mass protest when we’re mid table in the championship - enjoy your boycott, I’m sure it’ll be nice and warm at home. If you want to stay away that’s your prerogative, but telling others what to do isn’t.

I have not been what you say.

I can only encourage those to agree. I can't tell them what to do.

2 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

Fair enough I acknowledge your reasons. Apologies for being critical.

Our loyal support is one thing that would make a well publicised protest in a game a very profound thing. Home attendance goes from 24k to 14k for a game and I think DC gets a clear message. The club already has my season ticket money so I am not harming the club but merely symbolically showing I do not support the way the club is currently being run.

Yeah I get where that sentiment is coming from. The fact that they've already got your cash must make all this that much more of a sickener - I can never seem to afford an ST all in one go (and I'm not tempted by the half-season 'offers', ha!), so I use my membership and try to make to it around 80% of home games with the odd one or two away. You must feel held to ransom to an extent. That sucks.

Here's hoping something changes soon either way. I could cope with the slump if the football was exciting, but dear god...

Just now, youngowl said:

Where are you going to get 30,000 from on Friday night when its on tv could be lucky to get 20,000 after today

didnt say we would get 30,000, also never said next Friday. The point was whether we go or stay away it makes no difference due to sponsorship, however chanting Carlos out or Sack the board in a televised match would be heard and should embarrass the cub.

8 minutes ago, stevewhiterose said:

I can totally understand ST holders attending matches, as they've forked out a small fortune for the "privilege" but as a non season ticket holder I'll non be attending again until CC has departed. It's not so much a protest, more that the football simply bores me. I can find better things to spend £30 on.

I'm in the same boat. It just isn't worth my time or money. I was happy supporting the team in the past because I could appreciate the extremely limited resources we had at our disposal and the signficant financial issues the club was facing but this current setup... It's just rotten and the football, in a relative sense considering those resources, is the worse I have seen at Hillsborough. I cannot forgive or support what is happening.

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

Alright fella. Can't really debate/discuss with someone who takes that sort of position.

Just FYI though, I'm not a sucker or a mug - I don't go because somebody tells me to, or not.

I've stuck it out through far, far worse times than this, and I'll continue to whenever I can afford it, because that's all part of lifelong club support for me.

I enjoy the game, even when it's low quality.

I enjoy feeling the highs AND the lows - I might not feel like I'm enjoying it at the time, but it all builds to an overall experience enjoyed over months, seasons, years and decades.

I enjoy supporting the team whether they're in a purple patch or an absolute quagmire.

Doesn't mean I don't want change too, and fast. But we obviously have very different attitudes/reasons for showing up.

As I said, do what YOU like. But the whole 'angry mob mentality' thing has very, very rarely worked out well for anyone, at any point in history, in any situation. Meanwhile there are countless examples of it leading to a total disaster.

Blades for Justice and the Shoe protest worked. lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BC1867 said:

It's the only way DC gets the message. He is determined to ignore everything else.

Save the season now.

Do not attend the next home game.

As much as I think its time for a change I'll be attending all home games whoever is in charge. 

Not going isn't on cards I'm afraid, things are bad but I've seen it far far worse than now. 

4 minutes ago, oi_you_owl said:

At what point would you support one?

Genuine question.

I know it isn't being asked to me, but it's an interesting one if you don't mind me gegging in.

I don't think I would ever support an organised one unless something literally criminal was going on*, hence me balking a bit at the OP's suggestion. But having heard the OP out a bit more I can certainly see a little more why some people feel it's their best and only hope of effecting change.

I guess it depends on a) where you feel responsibility lies the most, and also b) what you believe you gain from attending (almost regardless of whether we win or lose).

For me, I get something from it whenever I go. But it probably feels a lot more like that to me, a member who attends most home games and occasionally has to miss a few due to £, than for someone who has already paid their money up front. It's one of the very few upsides of not being an ST holder despite wanting to be one, I suppose - attending most games feels like a little achievement or a hard-earned gift to myself, rather than a duty or a chore that I've already stumped up for in advance.

It doesn't make a lot of sense on paper, but I can totally see why existing ST holders might perhaps feel even more discontented than the rest of us.

* [insert 'sideways pass' joke here!] :duntmatter:

19 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Yeah I get where that sentiment is coming from. The fact that they've already got your cash must make all this that much more of a sickener - I can never seem to afford an ST all in one go (and I'm not tempted by the half-season 'offers', ha!), so I use my membership and try to make to it around 80% of home games with the odd one or two away. You must feel held to ransom to an extent. That sucks.

Here's hoping something changes soon either way. I could cope with the slump if the football was exciting, but dear god...

Couldn't agree more. I actually feel more for supporters who purchase like you: you have to consider the merits of going over and over again each time you buy. I don't demand to be entertained if we are successful. But we're not either at the moment. Hence the dismay.

1 minute ago, BC1867 said:

Couldn't agree more. I actually feel more for supporters who purchase like you: you have to consider the merits of going over and over again each time you buy. I don't demand to be entertained if we are successful. But we're not either at the moment. Hence the dismay.

Yeah that's fair mate. Something's got to give either way - we're ALL pretty miserable at the moment. Sigh.

UTO.

24 minutes ago, Owl Be Back said:

I'm in the same boat. It just isn't worth my time or money. I was happy supporting the team in the past because I could appreciate the extremely limited resources we had at our disposal and the signficant financial issues the club was facing but this current setup... It's just rotten and the football, in a relative sense considering those resources, is the worse I have seen at Hillsborough. I cannot forgive or support what is happening.

Totally agree with this. When times were tough at least we felt like we were all in it together and expectations were low. Now we’re forced to pay top prices to watch supposedly top players earning top wages but turning out tripe week after week after week. Carlos has to be the main one responsible for that and as much as I love the club and have done for 35 years I’m not paying out £40 of my hard-earned to sit in the freezing cold watching the dire entertainment levels offered by a Carvalhal team. 

Its just a shame DC and Carlos are ruining this great opportunity between them.