Mass Boycott

Just now, BC1867 said:

I will try to whip up a mob. Because I want to.

You are the Wednesday garden gnome if you can put up with this bobbar and still keep going like a sucker 

Alright fella. Can't really debate/discuss with someone who takes that sort of position.

Just FYI though, I'm not a sucker or a mug - I don't go because somebody tells me to, or not.

I've stuck it out through far, far worse times than this, and I'll continue to whenever I can afford it, because that's all part of lifelong club support for me.

I enjoy the game, even when it's low quality.

I enjoy feeling the highs AND the lows - I might not feel like I'm enjoying it at the time, but it all builds to an overall experience enjoyed over months, seasons, years and decades.

I enjoy supporting the team whether they're in a purple patch or an absolute quagmire.

Doesn't mean I don't want change too, and fast. But we obviously have very different attitudes/reasons for showing up.

As I said, do what YOU like. But the whole 'angry mob mentality' thing has very, very rarely worked out well for anyone, at any point in history, in any situation. Meanwhile there are countless examples of it leading to a total disaster.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Alright fella. Can't really debate/discuss with someone who takes that sort of position.

Just FYI though, I'm not a sucker or a mug - I don't go because somebody tells me to, or not.

I've stuck it out through far, far worse times than this, and I'll continue to whenever I can afford it, because that's all part of lifelong club support for me.

I enjoy the game, even when it's low quality.

I enjoy feeling the highs AND the lows - I might not feel like I'm enjoying it at the time, but it all builds to an overall experience enjoyed over months, seasons, years and decades.

I enjoy supporting the team whether they're in a purple patch or an absolute quagmire.

Doesn't mean I don't want change too, and fast. But we obviously have very different attitudes/reasons for showing up.

As I said, do what YOU like. But the whole 'angry mob mentality' thing has very, very rarely worked out well for anyone, at any point in history, in any situation. Meanwhile there are countless examples of it leading to a total disaster.

Two

Seater

Bentley

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

Two

Seater

Bentley

I don't know what that means in context, but I probably don't need to. I'm not on here to get narky with fellow Owls after all.

Just don't like people whipping up a mob anywhere ever, but let's agree to disagree there if it's the best we can do.

Guest RocketOwl
48 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

It's the only way DC gets the message. He is determined to ignore everything else.

Save the season now.

Do not attend the next home game.

I'm a season ticket holder and won't be going.

Why sit there and support this spineless manager and team in the freezing cold when can sit at home or in pub.

Apathy has set in.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Do what YOU want, but don't try to whip up a mob for it - next thing some bright spark will be talking about chucking hundreds of Wednesday gnomes onto the pitch on 23min.

FFS.

:duntmatter:

Dont do that! We wouldnt be able to find Bazza.

FFS!

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

I don't know what that means in context, but I probably don't need to. I'm not on here to get narky with fellow Owls after all.

Just don't like people whipping up a mob anywhere ever, but let's agree to disagree there if it's the best we can do.

You said you didn't want to debate but then went on a holier than thou diatribe seeking to tell other supporters not only what to do (and not do) but how to think. 

I disagree with you generally about the effectiveness mass protest and boycotts: many work: Montgomery Buses, Delano Grape & the Townshend Act. Many recent consumer examples are more apt here: Chipotle, Abercrombie & Fitch. Changing behaviour of corporations is possible through protest including economic boycott. There is no need to denigrate it when we agree change is required.

• Haha 2

Just now, BC1867 said:

You said you didn't want to debate but then went on a holier than thou diatribe seeking to tell other supporters not only what to do (and not do) but how to think. 

I disagree with you generally about the effectiveness mass protest and boycotts: many work: Montgomery Buses, Delano Grape & the Townshend Act. Many recent consumer examples are more apt here: Chipotle, Abercrombie & Fitch. Changing behaviour of corporations is possible through protest including economic boycott. There is no need to denigrate it when we agree change is required.

No no, I *like* debating and am always up for it - I just didn't think it was going to be possible when you said "I'll do it because I want to". Not that there's anything wrong with that as a sentiment, it just kind of immediately shuts down any potential for debate as far as I can see. Although here you are, so maybe i was wrong!

For the record, I wasn't being holier-than-thou at ALL - I tried to make it very clear i was just stating a personal preference, not a moral or ethical one. Apologies if that didn't come across.

My main point was more supposed to be that, personally, I don't ever really want to say I stopped going when things were bad, then returned when they were good again. So if I keep going, it's more for that reason than because I'm a 'sucker', that's all.

Interesting list of counter-examples, I'll look them up - wasn't aware of all of them, fair play.

1 hour ago, BC1867 said:

It's the only way DC gets the message. He is determined to ignore everything else.

Save the season now.

Do not attend the next home game.

The season has already gone and he won't sack Carlos. Only way he goes before the end of the season is if he walks.

26 minutes ago, BC1867 said:

But you’re allowed to go on a holier than thou diatribe at fans who actually want to turn up and support the team?

I’m happy to say I’m going to Hillsborough on Friday night and will cheer on the boys same as usual. For those of you trying to instigate mass protest when we’re mid table in the championship - enjoy your boycott, I’m sure it’ll be nice and warm at home. If you want to stay away that’s your prerogative, but telling others what to do isn’t.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

I can totally understand ST holders attending matches, as they've forked out a small fortune for the "privilege" but as a non season ticket holder I'll non be attending again until CC has departed. It's not so much a protest, more that the football simply bores me. I can find better things to spend £30 on.

Already decided I'm not going. Not a boycott as such but I have better things to be doing around this time of year than watching us getting torn apart by a Wolves side that - get this - make a specific effort to attack in order to win games.

Won't affect the chairman as I'm an ST holder, but still. 'Boro game's in question and all.