Leon Clarke - What's made him what he is?

6 minutes ago, Almat said:

Not one mention for Wilder in this post? You seriously think Wilder hasn't been at least partly responsible for him playing like he is when not one of his previous managers have managed it? Talking of sucking it up, I think you need to suck up the fact that Wilder is very probably a very very good (brilliant?) manager and an excellent motivator. Is it too hard to admit? 

:goalie:

7 hours ago, raljex said:

Why are you so far up Wilder's arse?

Oh dear. Wednesday fan recognises a great job done by United's manager so is accused of being up his arse. Grow up. The reason I have no problem recognising Wilder is because I'm not deluded. And Im also fair minded. You should try being the same. What Wilder has done over at S2 this season is remarkable. How could anyone with more than zero working brain cells think otherwise? 

hes the leagues top scorer & already has a couple of hat tricks to his name. 

Fair play to S2 for taking it to the league, I honestly thought they’d struggle & be in relegation battle. 

Its sickening when you see our ‘expensive’ players and look at their team, and see they’re comfortable & were right in the middle. 

The guy had obviously got his head right and his fitness where is should be. Credit to him and those who helped, Wilder etc.

For me there's also another huge reason why he and united in general score so many. It's simple, they attack teams, run at teams a bloody shoot. Look at how many of their goals come from a midfield driving at the defence. In fact look at championship goals in general, so many come from this. I think we look dangerous when Bannan gets the ball in the final 3rd and runs at defenders and plays 1-2's round the box. We hardly do this though. Not rocket science. 

The keeper shouod have done better for all 3 of Clarke's goals last night, but if you don't shoot you don't score. United are willing to attack the right areas with pace and drive and then not turn round and pass it backwards. Just have a pop. Rhodes and Hooper would score so many more if we just hit shots from the edge of the box, keeper spill, the ball deflects off defenders. The ball just needs to be in and around the box. The service doesn't even need to be that great, waiting for the perfect pass. 

Comments about his attitude etc surprise me. I knew him when he was at S6 and the abuse he would get from so-called fans on a night out or a date with his Mrs was horrible. He always ignored it and carried on, but you could see it affected him.

Once saw him in Menzels with his then girlfriend and a group of 'men' were chanting the Jordan's baby song, calling him names etc. He was just out trying to have a drink with his Mrs - wasn't bothering anyone.

Makes you wonder why anyone wants to play for us. You only have to see some of the comments in this thread.

10 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

The guy had obviously got his head right and his fitness where is should be. Credit to him and those who helped, Wilder etc.

For me there's also another huge reason why he and united in general score so many. It's simple, they attack teams, run at teams a bloody shoot. Look at how many of their goals come from a midfield driving at the defence. In fact look at championship goals in general, so many come from this. I think we look dangerous when Bannan gets the ball in the final 3rd and runs at defenders and plays 1-2's round the box. We hardly do this though. Not rocket science. 

The keeper shouod have done better for all 3 of Clarke's goals last night, but if you don't shoot you don't score. United are willing to attack the right areas with pace and drive and then not turn round and pass it backwards. Just have a pop. Rhodes and Hooper would score so many more if we just hit shots from the edge of the box, keeper spill, the ball deflects off defenders. The ball just needs to be in and around the box. The service doesn't even need to be that great, waiting for the perfect pass. 

Yes, all of Clarke’s goals last night came about from the sort of situations you see happening in most games Why can’t Rhodes or Hooper manage to find tha sort of space that Clarke found for goals 1 and 3 Goal 2 was a result of him just running at the defender

I see the option for our forwards to do that all the time but they choose not to Of the forwards, only Joao tries to do this

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
14 hours ago, gurujuan said:

It’s only what Rhodes could do, if he put in the same effort

I think Rhodes would be dipping his bread big time under Wilder.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
16 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Wilder runs a kind of football democracy, no favourites, no prima donas, no toy throwers, he has an autocratic, tight fisted co-owner to put up with and must be very high on a lot of club’s wanted lists, watch this space.

Living up to your name :biggrin: