Leon Clarke - What's made him what he is?

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Yes, all of Clarke’s goals last night came about from the sort of situations you see happening in most games Why can’t Rhodes or Hooper manage to find tha sort of space that Clarke found for goals 1 and 3 Goal 2 was a result of him just running at the defender

I see the option for our forwards to do that all the time but they choose not to Of the forwards, only Joao tries to do this

I can give an opinion why. Big Sam made a great point when talking about Palace last season and their upturn in form. He said they weren't good enough to break teams down and keep possession, so every pass he wanted it to be a forward pass, not to be mistaken with a long ball. The way we play is to slow the tempo, pass it round the defence and then try to break a side down. His system was that if your players aren't good enough then you have to attack teams before you allow them to get back in position and set up 2 banks of 4 etc. 

Watch united yestersay. None of fulhams defence is in position for the goal, players are being dragged out of position and aren't given time to set and close the space. 

Its not down to Hooper and Rhodes not being good enough or intelligent enough to find the space. It's our slow build up that allow s the opposition to get set, mark players and close off any gaps. Joao would have the same problems or strikers are facing. Hooper and Rhodes would be weeing their pants at the chances they'd get for united this season.

It's so bloody simple. This is what makes me more and more frustrated with Carlos. I can see it, other fans can, why can't he?

He always had potential. Could see he was a good footballer. Just questions over attitude and fitness at Wednesday?

Seems to have clicked for him at Blades. They're a very good side and Wilder is doing a terrific job. Has embarassed a lot of Wednesday fans with what we were saying last season and in pre season. Fair play to them, they're a side we could only dream to be at minute. 

5 minutes ago, jonesy87shef said:

I can give an opinion why. Big Sam made a great point when talking about Palace last season and their upturn in form. He said they weren't good enough to break teams down and keep possession, so every pass he wanted it to be a forward pass, not to be mistaken with a long ball. The way we play is to slow the tempo, pass it round the defence and then try to break a side down. His system was that if your players aren't good enough then you have to attack teams before you allow them to get back in position and set up 2 banks of 4 etc. 

Watch united yestersay. None of fulhams defence is in position for the goal, players are being dragged out of position and aren't given time to set and close the space. 

Its not down to Hooper and Rhodes not being good enough or intelligent enough to find the space. It's our slow build up that allow s the opposition to get set, mark players and close off any gaps. Joao would have the same problems or strikers are facing. Hooper and Rhodes would be weeing their pants at the chances they'd get for united this season.

It's so bloody simple. This is what makes me more and more frustrated with Carlos. I can see it, other fans can, why can't he?

Spot on. Put Rhodes in that United side he's laughing. 

The way we play is as if we're trying to score the perfect goal. Our players aren't good enough for that. The lack of pace is killing us and we play such a poo system it's no wonder watching us in the vast majority of games is absolutely mind numbing. 

It's such a shame to see what potentially we could achieve and what we are being served up. But there's nothing we can do. 

Carlos believes in this style and formation and he's not changing. Hardly the exciting brand of football Chansiri promised to justify ticket prices. 

Edited by SallyCinnamon

He had his moments in a Wednesday shirt, I remember some great goals he scored, one against Norwich if my memory is working, and he partnered Tudgay when we won at their place I believe. Best under Laws who was positive and supportive and that got the best out of him. Seems like Wilder is doing the same and more. I grant you Clarke was also shocking in a Wednesday shirt most of the time so maybe he has grown up too. Right place right time. any other club I'd say good luck to him, but due to him being at the lane I wish I had a curse I could put on him to make him play rubbish. At least he lost last night.

Clarkes playing like he is because of the manager pure and simple, they've got a great work ethic that puts ours to shame, they play to a system that compliments the players strengths, I've look at the number of chances that are set up for him per game, compared to the scraps our strikers are living off at the moment. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 hours ago, tarn owl said:

He had his moments in a Wednesday shirt, I remember some great goals he scored, one against Norwich if my memory is working, and he partnered Tudgay when we won at their place I believe. Best under Laws who was positive and supportive and that got the best out of him. Seems like Wilder is doing the same and more. I grant you Clarke was also shocking in a Wednesday shirt most of the time so maybe he has grown up too. Right place right time. any other club I'd say good luck to him, but due to him being at the lane I wish I had a curse I could put on him to make him play rubbish. At least he lost last night.

Yes; and the biggest factor in us being relegated against Crystal Palace was him busting his toe. Far and away our best player on the day until then.