Man of the match - Player ratings

Some superb performances tonight, but the thing that was so impressive about us was our defending in the face of a very accomplished attack, Tom Lees was absolutely imperious.

Westwood 7 - quiet game, kicking better than usual.

Hunt 7 - sacrificed some of his attacking runs to focus on defending, which was worth it as he marshalled Adomah very well.

Lees 9 - He was absolutely brilliant - won every header, made countless crucial blocks and interceptions and did a good job of getting the ball into midfield.

Loovens 7 - calm, composed, led well and tackled well.

Fox 8 - here’s one who did very well, bombed up and down the wing all game, tackled brilliantly and seemed to do such a good job on Snodgrass that Bruce subbed him off!

Wallace 6 - buzzed around well, was a useful outlet

Bannan 8 - passing excellent as always, drove us forward, his defensive tracking was key

Butterfield 8 - grew into the game, was a bit of a passenger at first but by the end was making tackles all over the place, while he seemed to pick the right pass every time. 

Reach 8 - blimey what a goal. Felt like the goal emboldened him to play a bit too centrally first half, he was struggling with his first touch and close control in confined space. Back to galloping along the touchline in the second half and was all the better for it.

Hooper 7 - laid on a great assist for the second goal (well I think he did, the passing was so quick and intricate it was a bit hard to see). Did his best holding up the ball even when things didn’t always go right for him.

Rhodes 7 - if Rhodes scores then he’s done his job. His hold up play isn’t particularly good, albeit he did a good job of harrying Villa’s back four - they were left passing the ball in front of us for a great deal of the game. Took his finish well, the confidence is clearly coming back.

Subs

Palmer 6 - covered a lot of ground and helped manage the game but missed a massive chance for 3-0. Hampered on the wing by his lack of crossing ability.

Fletcher 7 - did a terrific job of holding the ball up top in the dying minutes and posing a threat. Basically has taken over Nuhiu’s job as the guy to bring in to kill a game.

Jones - n/a

Has to be said that Villa were very poor. Looked bereft of ideas, couldn’t get anything going at all. Why Bruce subbed Snodgrass off is beyond me. They were massively naive as well - they persisted with having their quick lad up front run at Lees despite the fact he was getting dominated and Loovens is far slower.

9 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He's looked a lot more like 'Year One' Jack Hunt this season. Even with the knocks and niggles.

His sheer effort is often obscured by his 50-50 crossing or whatever. But he doesn't half bust a gut that lad. Never hides.

Carlos 10 

ive been wanting Carlos out prior , but got to admit he got his tactics spot on 

As a fan you have to admit when your wrong, I've been wrong, hope the guy does the business now. 

It it was interesting he walked straight down the tunnel at ft, what a game, performance and atmosphere we sang since the off 

At last, a positive approach to the game which enabled an all round excellent performance - shades of Newcastle away last season. Strong and composed at the back - thank you Glenn ! Bossed midfield, and looked a lot better going forward. It looked as though we could have scored more goals if we really had to - there was some slick movement in the final third which was great to see. Carlos - please don't change things now - these positive tactics enable the players to express themselves and we see what talent we really have. a difficult choice for MOM, but Butterfield was very influential today and worked very hard so I'll go with him ! WAWAW ??

Westwood - 7 - Routine saves. Handled crosses/corners well. Kicking seemed a bit better today also

Hunt - 7 - Solid performance, especially defensively. Kept Adomah quiet for the most part.

Lees - 7 - Much better display today, and dominated the youngster Davis. More like it Thomas!

Loovens - 7-  Assured, calm, exactly what we expect from our captain. The Loovens/Lee partnership was like of old today.

Fox - 8 - I think the role he's performing is vastly underrated. Played as a out and out wing back, with Reach playing from a narrow position finding space in the half space. Kept Snodgrass really quiet early on, always an option out wide and used the ball well. Great performance. 

Butterfield - 8 - Fantastic display. Screened the defensive line very well, worked hard and won his tackles and interceptions. Kept things simple when on the ball, and allowed Bannan to run the show. Thought he and Bannan both looked much more comfortable in that double pivot role today.

Bannan - 9 - MOTM - He's in the form of his life at the minute, in my opinion. Ran the show from start to finish. Used the ball superbly, always looking for the positive ball forward, and if it wasn't on, ensured we kept possession. Really like the potential of a Butterfield/Bannan pairing. The injury of Lee, in a strange way, could lead us to finding exactly what we need. 

Reach - 9 - Fanastic, yet again. In the first half, his movement was superb. Starting from a narrow position, he found space inbetween full back and centre halves, and was a constant option for the run in behind El-Mohammedy. And obviously, what a goal!

Hooper - 8 - Played as a playmaker today. Very much in a No.10 role. Dropped very deep as a result, often alongside Bannan/Butterfield. As a result, found an abundance of space.

Wallace - 7 - Better display from him than of late. Just felt he could've used the ball slightly better on occasions, but the change of shape, which allowed him to play much higher up the field, certainly helped his game.

Rhodes - 8 - An improved performance to Tuesday night, and another goal. Typical Jordan Rhodes goal, right place, right time, very unglamorous finish. But that's why he signed him. If we can get him to perform that lone striker role, with Reach, Wallace and Hooper all around him, he could get a lot of goals. Positive.

Overall - That opening 30 minutes, was the best display I've seen from Wednesday since God knows when. It was text book. Carlos, to give him his dues, got it 100% spot on today. To be fair, I think Villa underestimated us, and tactically, they were awful. Played right into our hands.

Butterfield/Bannan completely over ran Whelan and Hourinhane who both looked poor and off the pace, and because they were playing with only two midfielders, Hooper found an abundance of space. El-Mohammedy was appalling at right back, and the space he left in behind, allowed Reach anf Fox to really expose their left flank.

The definite shift to a 4-2-3-1 is a positive for me. Hooper is allowed to roam wherever and find space, and with Wallace and Reach playing higher up the field, it allows us to do, what we did so well in that 1st season, which was press from the front. Without getting too carried away, I think Carlos may have finally found his best side, and system. 

1 hour ago, snufkin123 said:

At last, a positive approach to the game which enabled an all round excellent performance - shades of Newcastle away last season. Strong and composed at the back - thank you Glenn ! Bossed midfield, and looked a lot better going forward. It looked as though we could have scored more goals if we really had to - there was some slick movement in the final third which was great to see. Carlos - please don't change things now - these positive tactics enable the players to express themselves and we see what talent we really have. a difficult choice for MOM, but Butterfield was very influential today and worked very hard so I'll go with him ! WAWAW ??

Great post.

We have go go out every game thinking f*** it, we are better than them let's take them. I understand why CC sits back to draw teams out and v l**d's it worked, it doesn't always tho..I'd rather teams defend for 90 minutes and yes, they may get a 0-0 occasionally. But I want us gyk attack them because we ARE better than them

52 minutes ago, Jonanderson1971 said:

Everyone 8 bar

Butterfield 9

Palmer 5 .looked knackered even as a sub.Out of sorts right midfield and missed an open net from 6 yards 

Palmer was very good, and came on at a very critical time in the game .