Man of the match - Player ratings

10 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He has to take a bit for resisting the temptation to make wholesale changes. ..

Glad he gave Rhodes another run out, another goal (and what a team goal) can only bode well for the lad. The people who said we had no chance of signing him do seem to really want him to fail.

Edited by Striggy
Spelling

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Reach, Bannan and Buttefield all superb. Bannan probably my MOM but Reach a very close second. Butterfield popped up in the right places really consistently, didn't give much away at all, and even put in a few decent tackles to win back possession or clear out lines.

Hooper caused them lots of problems and was instrumental in both goals again. Rhodes was there when it mattered and worked hard to help us keep the ball as well as we did.

Lees and Loovens looked very comfortable for the most part, good focussed display from both.

Jack Hunt ran himself ragged and never stopped - made sure he was anywhere he needed to be. Very good performance again from him.

Great showing all round really.

22 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

From what i saw i couldn;t split Bannan and Butterfield 

I always vote for Bazza so ill go Butterfield MoM

I've told you before I is a capital, and I'm not even gonna start with the apostrophes, but your allways right so it doesn't matter.

Edited by Owling

Just got back.

Butterfield was outstanding today. Several times he broke up their moves and retained the ball nicely.

Lost my voice but well worth it.

Also can we keep the black shorts? Kit looked much better and several around me said the same.

Cracking result.

WAWAW

Westwood - 7- Solid handling. Decent floor kicks. To be fair I didn't think Villa actually gave him too much to think about. A lot of the stuff was straight at him. Still. Doing the basics very well is what good performances are built on. 

Hunt - 7- Actually thought it was slightly harsh on Palmer to be benched again. But I think it was always going to happen. Hunt has been one of the best performers this season even though he has clearly had a lots of knocks and niggles to contend with. His pace on the counter always a weapon and against Villa, he had to be on his guard the other way to stop the pacy forwards when they drifted out especially linking with Adomah. Hacked one off the line. Great awareness of danger. 

Lees - 7- Thought Villa would offer more on the floor. Yes, I know they're a Bruce side and full of big units, but with the pace they have up top I thought they might be a bit cuter. I thought they played into the hands of Lees and Loovens. Lees looked much better today and got the timing of his headers spot on on. 

Loovens - 7- See above. I was genuinely concerned before the game about pace. Vydra did him on his come back. The Millwall lads left him last time out. But today he was calm and assured. Stepped in when needed and was talking and organising. Especially talking to Fox.

Fox -7- I'm warming to the lad. He's unspectacular. But fair enough in my book. Stuck to his task. Snodgrass subbed off.  Well done that man!

Wallace - 6.5-  Just over half a game. Gets some real hammer. But it was him coming inside and knocking the ball out to Reach which set us on our way. I'm sure that won't stop people from hammering him though. 

Butterfield -8- I was really impressed with Butters today. Used the ball well. Used his body well and really looks like the sort of player to be able to control the tempo of a game with the speed and and weight of his passes. Knows when to retain it and when to try and spring the attack. Also noted that he's not afraid to 'leave a foot in' as Ron liked to say. 

Bannan - 7.5- Close second for my M.O.M . Bannan really is the dynamo at the heart of the team. When he's attacking the spaces and playing those little give and goes, I'm not sure there is a better player in the entire division. I love the way he uses every part of his foot when he's moving the ball about. Typical Baz involvement for the second goal. We have to get him in those areas.

Reach - 7-  3 in 3. What an absolute pearler too. It just shows the value of confidence. Would he have hit that shot this time a month ago?  I don't think he would. Anyone who thinks it doesn't affect players and will see that it does.  Player of the month, and I'm sure much much more to come from this lad. What energy too. Up and down, up and down. 

Rhodes -7- He's in for his finishing. Simple as. Can teas carry a pure finisher these days?  Well the thing is, there was some excellent link play today too. And the bit when he chased back into the right back spot and won a tackle. The lad is growing and growing in confidence.  As soon is that little ball ran in you just knew he'd score. Could see the decision had been made in his mind. Well done Jordan!

Hooper -7-  I love Gary Hoopers arse. No not in that way, I leave that to those who hang around in the Dressing Room section. No, I love the way he bashes centre halves around with his big harris. Marvelous. Case in point when JT stumbles around before that weak header for our goal.  So good with his back to goal and a terrific touch to play stuff around the corner.  His value is clearly so much more than just a finisher. 

Palmer - 6.5 I thought he gave us good energy and the tandem working with Hunt was actually just what we needed. The miss should put it away...but he did everything right opening his body and going low for the corner. 

Carlos

Resisted tinkering too much. The lads who came in and did really well like Butters and Rhodes kept their spots.  That little sort of thing goes a long way in terms of keeping the players onside. 

43 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Jack Hunt ran himself ragged and never stopped - made sure he was anywhere he needed to be. Very good performance again from him.

Great showing all round really.

He's looked a lot more like 'Year One' Jack Hunt this season. Even with the knocks and niggles.

To a man they were all excellent today, even Palmer looked the part at left wing(shame he didn't score mind).

I'd labelled Butterfield a jinx previously, as we always seem to concede shortly after he comes on as sub, but he was brilliant today and my MOM, and with 2 wins from 2 as a starter I hope he's never sub again!lol