Aston Villa - V - The Wednesday OMDT

13 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Mind the gap.

I hope we can close it as the season progresses.

What we have in our favour is that we're not dependent upon a high-energy game, as they are.

As the season wears on, it will be increasingly difficult for them to maintain that tempo.

The same thing happened to Leeds last time.

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Bizarely Carlos has put out defensive midfields against the poo teams, and two wingers and two CMs against Fulham, Derby and Villa 

Good point.

But it's more than that.

We do well against the good teams because we don't underestimate them.

Very welcome three points against a form side unbeaten at home.

It's much easier to manage a game two or three up than trying to hang to a 1-0 lead.

I hope it has finally sunk in that we need that cushion in case of howlers or last minute wonder goals.

Quality goals and build up play.

Enjoy your weekend..

Now that was the perfect away performance - I knew we had it in us. We snatched an early lead, doubled it then strangled Villa. Our defending was an absolute joy, we hunted in packs, kept them pinned back in their own half and left them resorting to long balls and set pieces which Lees dealt with brilliantly. We need to reproduce that performance for every away game as we’d win every bloody one - we just neutralised the division’s most dangerous attack. 

Up the Owls, what a win.

Guest The Horse

Isn't it a great feeling an away win like this?
Not just the result but some of that football was exemplary.
Makes the weekend and the beer just so much better.
Have a great weekend, Owls!!

Fantastic result today, not least as the father in law is a Villa fan! Already been in touch, just a whole pot of salt rubbed into the wound there then!! Decided to relax my way through today’s game and do summat else instead of spending a nail biting afternoon (low expectations today I’m afraid), so took the young’un to Clip and Climb at Cornwall Services. He had a great time and I didn’t think about results till we were home at 4.45pm. Two great goals and Terry injured with a feared broken foot...couldn’t happen to a nicer bloke:ph34r:

Well done to the players, staff and most importantly those incredible fans who made the journey.

Cheers all, enjoy your beers tonight, I know I am!

Edited by sternlad

46 minutes ago, belfast owl lad said:

Great win,great goals,just makes our results early season all the more bizarre.

The great start helped. 

I think the other factor (or one of them) is that a trip to Villa park in front of a big crowd and a fancied team is always easier to get 'up for'.

Always the Burtons of this world where we'll fall down.

5 hours ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Powder puff midfield.

Theyll just run straight through us.

Their midfield of Snodgrass,mHoorihane and Whelan. I thought they'd over run us. They didn't. All three were made to look rubbish by a resolute bank of 2x4 and constant closing down. We were impressive.