Negative Tactics - a myth?

Surely a team playing negative football wouldn’t be the team that had the most shots at goal of any team in the 4 English divisions.  Which according to sky’s match stats that what we did on Saturday and in many cases more than both teams added together (including the Leeds v pigs game, with many on here saying we should play more like them). 

I’m not saying i’m happy with the results at the moment but are Carlos’s tactics as negative as many on here are making out or is it a myth being used to beat him with because the results aren’t going our way.

• Like 1

"Shots" is far too vague and doesn't tell the full picture.

Bannan has about half a dozen a game, but never looks like scoring.

However, yesterday, first half especially, we did create good chances - which is a big difference to merely a shot.

Just now, kirksandallowl said:

But are either of those things down to tactics or is it player technique/ability/decision making?

Its due to fear 

Therefore you start playing more safely to minimize errors

The only one who consistently gambles and takes a chance is Bannan, and yet he gets pelters

No wonder the players are playing in fear

10 minutes ago, kirksandallowl said:

Surely a team playing negative football wouldn’t be the team that had the most shots at goal of any team in the 4 English divisions.  Which according to sky’s match stats that what we did on Saturday and in many cases more than both teams added together (including the Leeds v pigs game, with many on here saying we should play more like them). 

I’m not saying i’m happy with the results at the moment but are Carlos’s tactics as negative as many on here are making out or is it a myth being used to beat him with because the results aren’t going our way.

Yesterday and last Saturday Carlos wasn't negative at all. 

442, two strikers, two wingers in Reach and Wallace. I give him great credit for doing that at Derby. He should always do it at home.

Those criticising him for yesterday are wrong imo. We attacked and were hugely unlucky. Some of our attacking play yesterday was a joy. On the 17th minute (ish) we hammered at their door for about two minutes solid. Brilliant stuff. Lee's shot, Bannan's numerous give and goes and chip were top drawer. The two headers stopped on the line....any other day we murder them.

However, he has set us up to attack before, it works, it works again, again and again....and then he chickens out and reverts to a defensive line-up. It's not even that he does it against top teams away from home. He does it against the Wigans, Dons, QPRs, Sunderlands. And we suffer the consequences.

He has the players to take sides on, but he doesn't trust them. It will be his downfall.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Yesterday and last Saturday Carlos wasn't negative at all. 

442, two strikers, two wingers in Reach and Wallace. I give him great credit for doing that at Derby. He should always do it at home.

Those criticising him for yesterday are wrong imo. We attacked and were hugely unlucky. Some of our attacking play yesterday was a joy. On the 17th minute (ish) we hammered at their door for about two minutes solid. Brilliant stuff. Lee's shot, Bannan's numerous give and goes and chip were top drawer. The two headers stopped on the line....any other day we murder them.

However, he has set us up to attack before, it works, it works again, again and again....and then he chickens out and reverts to a defensive line-up. It's not even that he does it against top teams away from home. He does it against the Wigans, Dons, QPRs, Sunderlands. And we suffer the consequences.

He has the players to take sides on, but he doesn't trust them. It will be his downfall.

There has to be a reason he doesn't trust them to take sides on and always reverts to a defensive structure.

Perhaps it's a fitness issue or he doesn't trust the whole team to be able to defend properly if he sends them out with a all out attacking mentality.

Picking out the odd match, like yesterday isn't a true reflection of the mindset. The negative tactics were present all last season, but he got away with it because the results went our way. This season they aren't. We were more positive yesterday, leaving Wallace and Bannan up when defending corners was a start

1 hour ago, kirksandallowl said:

Stop defending CC.

The man is a frigging joke.

Never been as bored shirtless as the last 2seasons at home.

Really wish I could find something better to do on match days.

We do play attacking football when we are totally on top or we are behind. My complaint is when we are in front we stop playing or we start slowly and go behind. I think Carlos is afraid to lose. He is happy at 0-0 for most of the game and at 1-0 he tries to shut up shop too early.

We were afraid to lose in the play off final. At home against Huddersfield we were all over them for a few minutes after the goal but then we stopped playing. We are playing better this season than last and we are having more bad luck but too much for it to be just coincidence. I don't think the players are sure what they are supposed to be doing at certain stages of games. I think this comes from Carlos.

Also re the comment about the negative football criticism only coming when results are poor. Many people commented last season about passing back to Westwood from throws and free kicks in the final third, general negativity and slow build up.

1 hour ago, kirksandallowl said:

You can't say that, you'll upset the doomclappers on here

59 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Was that the spell when Wallace and Reach swapped wings?

Not sure. Don't think so.

My boy noticed that, and asked me why he had done it. I thought it a really sound move. Bit of variety for their full-backs.