Five Players who maybe should never have come to Sheffield Wednesday

9 hours ago, poite said:

Just did. As i said, the thread is about players who should never have been signed. 

Your post is about players who we've paid a lot of money for bit haven't exactly been value for money. 

In your original post your response to 5 players who should never have played for Wednesday you state you can name 5 in the current squad. To include reach and Jones in that 5 is stupid. Rhodes I can see an argument although I don't necessarily agree. 

Am I missing something?

I'm going to put my post here and talk you though it as I can see you're having a bit of trouble grasping what I was saying...

now the the title of the thread was 5 players who should never have come to Sheffield Wednesday.

my response was...

"I could pick 5 out of the current squad:

Almen Abdi

Dave Jones

Jordan Rhodes

Adam Reach

Marco Matias

I'm not saying they're all terrible but given respective injury records and contributions to the first team, I reckon that's about £20m that could have been better spent elsewhere."

So if you read through that last paragraph you will see that my whole point was that given the hefty financial outlay for these players and when you way up the contributions each has made to the first team against the financial outlay for each player, I think it would have been better if they'd never come to the club and we'd spent the money elsewhere.

Hence in my opinion I don't think they should have ever come to the club.

Why is it so difficult for you to understand this?

19 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Sinton- chose us over Arsenal, yeah right

Booth- choose us over Liverpool, yeah right

Nolan- choose us out of  many clubs, yeah right

Atherton- 

i know people will like 3 of the 4 above steady players but they were at about 3 levels lower than the players they replaced and as such were part of our slow demise.

I'd never add Andy booth to that list. If our first team as it is now had half the do or die fearlessness of boothy we'd be sitting pretty at the top of the table. Strong, brave, powerful and not afraid to take one for the team, get clattered one of those that always gave 100% never shirked a challenge, relished a battle and not afraid of putting himself in where it hurt. Not a fantastic footballer, but a good finisher and fantastic mentality. 

19 hours ago, fatzooma said:

Andy hinchcliffe

the 2 Scottish midgets

Orlando Trustfull

Andy Pearce

Andy Booth

Guy Wittingham

That Bennet at left back

and so on and so on...

Have you just randomly listed players rather than taking the actual point of the thread into account?

Booth was a bit of a cart horse but played a key role in his first season in a team that went from avoiding relegation on the final day of the previous season to finish 7th the next.

Whittingham started on fire for us and played a prominent role for a couple of seasons.

Andy Pearce was little more than a hod carrier but did a job for a couple of seasons and scored against the blunts!

Hinchecliffe drained us financially due to his injuries but the contract he signed was the fault of the club. The times he did play he was pretty good.

You've gone back over 20 years and that's your main list of players that shouldn't have signed for us.

22 hours ago, steelowl said:

err  assume you forgot about Sinton   where it all started going wrong for me 

Sinton was supposed to be the fk al piece in the jigsaw. It just didn't work out. We've had much worse players and sinton was choosing between us and arsenal at the time. 

Patrick Blandeau should be top of this list. 

12 hours ago, Will69 said:

I’m calling this out.

When he came through the youth set up he showed lots of potential and had a two year period where he broke into the England set up but faded away. Did ok for Burnley too.

I have his matchworn England shirt, don’t ask how or why.

Briscoe was good for Burnley for 2 seasons 2000/2001 & 2001/2002. Someone told me that he did not really like football that much - just a job he was quite good at. Like a car mechanic, painter and decorator...

Edited by ReluctantNicko

4 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I'd never add Andy booth to that list. If our first team as it is now had half the do or die fearlessness of boothy we'd be sitting pretty at the top of the table. Strong, brave, powerful and not afraid to take one for the team, get clattered one of those that always gave 100% never shirked a challenge, relished a battle and not afraid of putting himself in where it hurt. Not a fantastic footballer, but a good finisher and fantastic mentality. 

A tryer, nothing more, wasn't what we required at the time and fans settling for players of his standard (unlike the Tottenham fans who hated him) baffle me. 

27 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

A tryer, nothing more, wasn't what we required at the time and fans settling for players of his standard (unlike the Tottenham fans who hated him) baffle me. 

Yes Leeds fans also hated him, seemed to score against them every single time we played em. My comments though bud were more about good his attitude and commitment was. 

13 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Yes Leeds fans also hated him, seemed to score against them every single time we played em. My comments though bud were more about good his attitude and commitment was. 

Couldn't knock his attitude or commitment just his ability, unfortunately we had a few the same at the same time which will only get you so far.

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Have you just randomly listed players rather than taking the actual point of the thread into account?

Booth was a bit of a cart horse but played a key role in his first season in a team that went from avoiding relegation on the final day of the previous season to finish 7th the next.

Whittingham started on fire for us and played a prominent role for a couple of seasons.

Andy Pearce was little more than a hod carrier but did a job for a couple of seasons and scored against the blunts!

Hinchecliffe drained us financially due to his injuries but the contract he signed was the fault of the club. The times he did play he was pretty good.

You've gone back over 20 years and that's your main list of players that shouldn't have signed for us.

I will find and kill anyone who lists Andy Pearce as a bad player in this thread. He is a hero. And that hair...

Well, maybe not kill. But I’ll do some strong pointing.

Wiggins

Kean

McGugan

Sougou

Lachman

Emanuelson

Melo

Bus

Vermijl

McManaman

McGeady

Buckley

Baker

Boyd

Abdi

Matias

Winnall

i wish there were only 5, but sadly that lot have all been within 3yrs under DC's tenure. Time will tell for Rhodes, Butterfield, and Venâncio. 

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Wiggins

Kean

McGugan

Sougou

Lachman

Emanuelson

Melo

Bus

Vermijl

McManaman

McGeady

Buckley

Baker

Boyd

Abdi

Matias

Winnall

i wish there were only 5, but sadly that lot have all been within 3yrs under DC's tenure. Time will tell for Rhodes, Butterfield, and Venâncio. 

At least a few were loans so not so much of a waste. Winnall was good IMO-at least he always tried.

Greatest regret about Rudi was that me and my mate, despite several attempts away, never, ever got people to join in with a chant to The Specials 'Rudi, A Message To You' - made for a terrace anthem. He was a talented and yet an incredibly frustrating player. The best quote I saw about him was in a fanzine (WOTMT?) when someone expertly stated that "everything he does nearly comes off."

• Haha 1

On 30/09/2017 at 23:08, hykehamowl said:

Greatest regret about Rudi was that me and my mate, despite several attempts away, never, ever got people to join in with a chant to The Specials 'Rudi, A Message To You' - made for a terrace anthem. He was a talented and yet an incredibly frustrating player. The best quote I saw about him was in a fanzine (WOTMT?) when someone expertly stated that "everything he does nearly comes off."

lol

Owlstalk Shop