Five Players who maybe should never have come to Sheffield Wednesday

5 hours ago, alanharper said:

Garry Thompson

Wim Jonk

Ian Taylor

Tony Galvin

Clinton Morrison

All came with good rep and seemed taylor made for our side at the time they signed - they did virtually nothing for us

liked gary Thomson t o t o m t o m thomo maybe I just liked chanting that at games lol

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

So you think for the fees paid for the others (Jones £2m, Reach £5m, Rhodes £8m) those players contributions to the first team have represented value for money?

The thread isn't about whether a player was worth the money we paid. It's about players who just shouldn't have been here.

Rhodes so far has been a waste of money because he's wasted by a clueless manager.

Reach and Jones have been regular players this season in the first 11

1 hour ago, poite said:

The thread isn't about whether a player was worth the money we paid. It's about players who just shouldn't have been here.

Rhodes so far has been a waste of money because he's wasted by a clueless manager.

Reach and Jones have been regular players this season in the first 11

Have another read of my original post and come back to me.

Not seen anyone mention Francesco Sanetti

A player who scored on his debut I seem to remember after coming off subs bench in the last game of the season against Aston Villa.  After this he came on a few more times the following season with the Kop embarrassingly calling for him to be brought on as our saviour because of that one great if probably fluky goal but not having witnessing him playing a full season as striker in the reserves without scoring a goal.

56 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Have another read of my original post and come back to me.

Just did. As i said, the thread is about players who should never have been signed. 

Your post is about players who we've paid a lot of money for bit haven't exactly been value for money. 

In your original post your response to 5 players who should never have played for Wednesday you state you can name 5 in the current squad. To include reach and Jones in that 5 is stupid. Rhodes I can see an argument although I don't necessarily agree. 

Am I missing something?

6 hours ago, owlinexile said:

Rudi wasn't that bad.  He surely won us a few points here and there, which is more than can be said for most on this list.

Similarly, Guy Whittingham that someone mentioned was actually one of our better players at the time.

Patrick Blondeau - now there was someone who should never have come.

Another vote for Patrick Blondeau.

We really are spoilt for choice, which makes it all the harder to pick out the ultimate dross.

Jay Bothroyd and Leon Knight would have to be my strike force if we're talking about total wasters. Jeffers could come on to give one of them a break from strolling around. The kind of players that make you realise your club has become a total basket case.

I remember when we signed Bothroyd, people were falling over themselves to say how good he'd be. Pecnik  was similar as well. I like many watched the YouTube compilation and thought he'd be great and he was f*cking terrible. Worse than Bothroyd in my honest opinion. I know Bothroyd is hated on here and I can understand that but he at the very least had 3 good games for us. Pecnik had about 3 good minutes.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Lee Briscoe

I’m calling this out.

When he came through the youth set up he showed lots of potential and had a two year period where he broke into the England set up but faded away. Did ok for Burnley too.

I have his matchworn England shirt, don’t ask how or why.