Five Players who maybe should never have come to Sheffield Wednesday

12 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

That was Francis' fault for signing him. From the players' perspective and in line with this thread, From Jemson's point a view, it was a bad career move and one, with hindsight, he would have been better never to have made.

For his perspective if was a smashing move I'd imagine. Bumper pay day to a club paying some of the best wages in the country at the time. 

Given he was a chubby and played out the rest of his career in the third and fourth division I suspect he's delighted he took the money where he could.  

Agree about Francis though. His old master really got one over on him on that deal.

2 hours ago, fatzooma said:

Andy hinchcliffe

the 2 Scottish midgets

Orlando Trustfull

Andy Pearce

Andy Booth

Guy Wittingham

That Bennet at left back

and so on and so on...

Andy Hinchcliffe played 97 games for us (including cup matches), and was the best left back I've seen play for the Owls, also he won a couple of his England caps whilst playing for us.

Edited by optimisticowl
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

Yeah I remember us getting in a bidding war with arsenal for him then they said OK we give up you can have him the rest is history

And QPR then signed Trevor Sinclair to replace him for about a quarter of the fee and he was 10 times the player... 

5 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

Andy Hinchcliffe played 97 games for us (including cup matches), and was the best left back I've seen play for the Owls, also he won a couple of his England caps whilst playing for us.

Good player Hinchcliffe shame about the injuries.

I can almost write off the £3m fee for the fact his winning  free kick silenced Di Canio when the gobshite returned to Hillsborough with West Ham and did his best to goad us all afternoon. 

17 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Kim Olsen

The Two May's Larry and Steve

Ola Tidman

Big Dave

Colin West

My mate used to bet on Colin west to score he paid more out in bets than he collected I do remember him scoring a diving header at old Trafford which my mate never let me forget.Mind you he used to bet on does walker to score at every match as he was normally 100\1 to score   .Needless to say he never got owt back from that one of the best defenders we have ever had but he was not one to chip in with a goal

2 minutes ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

My mate used to bet on Colin west to score he paid more out in bets than he collected I do remember him scoring a diving header at old Trafford which my mate never let me forget.Mind you he used to bet on does walker to score at every match as he was normally 100\1 to score   .Needless to say he never got owt back from that one of the best defenders we have ever had but he was not one to chip in with a goal

For some reason,i just can't get out of my head Colin's pen miss against Luton 30 years ago and his shocking miss against Everton in the Third Round Third Replay At S6 the following year.WTF::ghoulguy::ph34r:

3 hours ago, alanharper said:

Garry Thompson

Wim Jonk

Ian Taylor

Tony Galvin

Clinton Morrison

All came with good rep and seemed taylor made for our side at the time they signed - they did virtually nothing for us

Jonk was mercenary but a great passer of the ball and free kick taker and a luxury. 

5 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

I could pick 5 out of the current squad:

Almen Abdi

Dave Jones

Jordan Rhodes

Adam Reach

Marco Matias

I'm not saying they're all terrible but given respective injury records and contributions to the first team, I reckon that's about £20m that could have been better spent elsewhere.

Only Abdi and Matias belong on that list.

3 hours ago, fatzooma said:

Andy hinchcliffe

the 2 Scottish midgets

Orlando Trustfull

Andy Pearce

Andy Booth

Guy Wittingham

That Bennet at left back

and so on and so on...

Whittingham was a great player. Scored some vital goals and never gave anything less than 100%

Booth was rubbish but he scored fourteen in his first season in the Prem.

Orlando Trustfull was a great player but he was a creative type when Pleat wanted scrappers in midfield like Hyde, Atherton and Collins. He'd have done well under Francis or Atkinson.

Simon Coleman was rubbish, as was that Sidibe we had on loan a bit back. Scott Oakes never really did owt. Rodri never lived up to the hype. But definitely Blondeau and Bothroyd for me. And Rhys McCabe was a waste of time.

1 hour ago, Waddlesdiamondlights said:

Are we all forgetting the brilliant David Graham . I lost a bet on him never scoring for us . I think he scored 2 goals . He was brought in as a desperate measure and was really awful . The very epitome of a non scoring striker .