Five Players who maybe should never have come to Sheffield Wednesday

On 9/29/2017 at 16:23, TrickyTrev said:

Read my post again.

For the £5m outlay, I think that money could have been spent better elsewhere.

I've never said he's a bad player but I think for what he's shown in the first team, £5m was a lot of money.

Hand on heart can you honestly say he looks like a £5m winger?

Compare the money spent on Rhodes he looks a snip

WTF:

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

On 30/09/2017 at 07:55, Kermit Flump said:

Andy Hinchcliffe. That guy sucked us dry! And not in a good way!!!

Made less appearances than a solar eclipse! 

OK give us your statistics, however if you bother to actually attempt to qualify your strange post, I don't expect to hear from you.

On 30/09/2017 at 11:36, ReluctantNicko said:

Briscoe was good for Burnley for 2 seasons 2000/2001 & 2001/2002. Someone told me that he did not really like football that much - just a job he was quite good at. Like a car mechanic, painter and decorator...

He has a couple of really bad personal circumstances to cope with that I'm pretty certain affected his football and his love of it. The type that puts things into perspective for some people. Quite sad really.  He did though, score that goal against Arsenal in the Di Canio match and so we named him Bergkamp on the back of it lol

On 29/09/2017 at 16:23, TrickyTrev said:

Read my post again.

For the £5m outlay, I think that money could have been spent better elsewhere.

I've never said he's a bad player but I think for what he's shown in the first team, £5m was a lot of money.

Hand on heart can you honestly say he looks like a £5m winger?

In todays ludicrous financial climate, hes looking like hes worth ever penny!

2 hours ago, optimisticowl said:

OK give us your statistics, however if you bother to actually attempt to qualify your strange post, I don't expect to hear from you.

Strange post?? I can only assume you're not of an age to remember him as a player.

He made 80 appearances in 4 seasons!!

The guy was always injured for us and after another long injury spell, decided to retire! 

Unless you spell Darren Potter like Petter Rudi this poll is flawed.

Worst Wednesday player ever. His only weaknesses were his inability to:

Shoot

Score

Take free kicks

Take corners

Tackle

Pass forwards

Run

Sprint

Track back

Mark

Head

Be taller when he jumped

Take throw ins

Jog

Get into position

Defend

Attack

Make space

• Haha 1

De Bilde is top of my list, I blame that signing the most for costing us our place in the premier league as he was the replacement to Di Canio (with Sibon too but he made amens a little during the following championship seasons).

I remember at the time we were being linked with players like Hartson and Huckerby (and Dani). But instead ended up with one of the least effective strikers I've ever seen. 

Edited by Southie_Owl

10 hours ago, Kermit Flump said:

Strange post?? I can only assume you're not of an age to remember him as a player.

He made 80 appearances in 4 seasons!!

The guy was always injured for us and after another long injury spell, decided to retire! 

I'm turned 70, he actually made 97 appearances including cup games in 3 seasons, he only made 2 appearances in his fourth season because of a career ending injury, which I'm certain wasn't self inflicted. He was without doubt the best left back that I've ever seen play for the Owls, so you may take your incorrect assumption and do what you wish with it.

Actually Chris Waddle only made a handful more appearances in his 4 seasons with SWFC, why not have a pop at him whilst your in the mood?

44 minutes ago, optimisticowl said:

I'm turned 70, he actually made 97 appearances including cup games in 3 seasons, he only made 2 appearances in his fourth season because of a career ending injury, which I'm certain wasn't self inflicted. He was without doubt the best left back that I've ever seen play for the Owls, so you may take your incorrect assumption and do what you wish with it.

Actually Chris Waddle only made a handful more appearances in his 4 seasons with SWFC, why not have a pop at him whilst your in the mood?

I think when the team struggles there's  a need amongst some to search for blame  and often 'sick note' but good players are thought of a shirkers and a waste of money, Abdi the latest target.

I think Hinchcliffe oozed class when he played but ultimately he was a bad buy value for money wise imo

On 29/09/2017 at 21:39, @owlstalk said:

1525756.jpg

1. Gilles 'The Animal' De Bilde

Came to Sheffield Wednesday, messed about with his dogs, played half arsed for us, was totally ineffective and then flew back home to brag about how much money we'd overpaid him by during his time with us.

1205724.jpg

2. Petter Rudi

Nice guy, decent player but totally unsuited to the rough and tumble fast and furious pace of English football. Often referred to as 'Bambi On Ice' for his tackling, Petter was sadly one of the most delicate players we've ever seen at Hillsborough. Nothing against him personally or as a player but shouldn't have come as he was totally unsuited to our game or what we needed at the time

13724176052548.jpg

3. Nejc Pecnik

Again another really nice guy but totally baffling as a footballer at Sheffield Wednesday. On paper and on video highlights Nejc was a player worth a look, but when he came was a bit hit and miss to say the least and never really found his feet here. 

104064.jpg

4. Francis 'Franny' Jeffers

Sheffield Wednesday's knack of buying players who then go onto have very long and lengthy injured careers here is second to none. Again we bought this player without the right and proper checks and Franny went on to be resident on our treatment table until we managed to offload him. Some fans might not even remember him playing for us such was his 'Abdi' style disappearance from our first team on a regular basis

jay-bothroyd_2835402.jpg

5. Jay Bothroyd

If anyone can give me one single reason why Jay Bothroyd was anything other than our worst player of ALL TIME then I'm all ears. Bothroyd was infuriating. He annoyed me more than any other player I've ever seen. He made me physically angry.

Came to Wednesday, sulked, refused to even try. Absolute disgrace and the worst player I've ever had the unfortunate luck to see play for our great football club.

Only 5!!! 

David Graham should be on anyone’s list 

Edited by Rogers

On 30/09/2017 at 11:47, davey_wells said:

Andy Booth gets so much undeserved stick.

13 goals in a Premiership season - not too shabby.

I agree in the main, that's probably get him the England squad nowadays and make him worth £20 million+

However, after the first couple of seasons, we really should have been looking at better. 

On 04/10/2017 at 08:13, optimisticowl said:

He made 10 appearances in his last 2 years! It was signings like this (signing a player known to have injury problems) which helped to ruin the club.

And prior to that, we barely avoided relegation and then were relegated!

You clearly appreciated what he did for us, but he, and many others who were either mercenaries or lazy or injury prone were a large part of why we failed to stay up in the prem.

16 hours ago, PeteG_1984 said:

I agree in the main, that's probably get him the England squad nowadays and make him worth £20 million+

However, after the first couple of seasons, we really should have been looking at better. 

Hoops would have loved playing alongside booth, that and anyone who played on the wing that could cross a ball, I don't think there was probably any striker more fearless or better aerial at the time. Strong as a Aberdeen angus too. Oh but those ears lol