How good was this team?

16 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

image-1.jpg

This is the team that first got me absolutely hooked on Sheffield Wednesday.

So many great memories of this side. 

Good times

Could do with Sgt Wilko back out at S6 to help out behind the scenes with DC and co right now to help steady the Ship through potentially choppy waters also the biggest memories of the 1983/84 was Man City away won 2-1 with over 10,000 plus Owls Fans in attendance,Cardiff Away 2-0 and the Slow Train from Pompey where we didn't get back into Sheffield till after 2am.

good team that got dogs abuse from others for the way they played ......always remember stuart hall on the radio after a match at everton saying we were as classy as bet lynch ....not sure what the purists on here would think of them but back then I thought they great to watch . they just over ran sides with there fitness and ability .

• Thanks 1

Decent side, I was ten years old at the time. I was fortunate to get a front row seat at Anfield on the halfway line when we won two nil. Hilarious as I was with a few friends, Liverpool fan for his birthday, car ride back was brilliant. Birthday boy was  in tears , others were neutrals, except me!!!!

lol

Edited by F. Spiksley

8 minutes ago, torryowl said:

good team that got dogs abuse from others for the way they played ......always remember stuart hall on the radio after a match at everton saying we were as classy as bet lynch ....not sure what the purists on here would think of them but back then I thought they great to watch . they just over ran sides with there fitness and ability .

Stuart Hall:duntmatter:

9 minutes ago, Watto said:

Sadly I missed that period between 82-89 was living in South Africa at the time but would have loved to see this team home and away back then, bet there were some great memories 

you was fortunate to miss the 87-89 period ,it all started to go a bit pear shape with some very dodgy  signings replacing some of the good players in that photo .

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

you was fortunate to miss the 87-89 period ,it all started to go a bit pear shape with some very dodgy  signings replacing some of the good players in that photo .

Came home mid way through the 89/90 season when we were relegated with a good side , think we were around 14th with about 6 games to go !

Saw us get promotion and lift the league cup the season after mind 

1 minute ago, Watto said:

Came home mid way through the 89/90 season when we were relegated with a good side , think we were around 14th with about 6 games to go !

Saw us get promotion and lift the league cup the season after mind 

good timing mate ,the relegation turned out to be blessing in disguise .

Classic Queen!

I started in 1981 so basically saw that team getting built, only Sterland, Smith, Shirtliff and Pearson were in the squad at that time. I've always thought it was a shame that Bannister moved on after promotion, would have liked to have kept him for the first division but Varadi and Chapman were a great partnership as well. Marwood was fantastic, would still get a place on the opposite wing to Waddle in my all time best SWFC XI (that I've actually seen play)

I loved watching that team. Hesford was a really exciting signing and Martin Hodge was just back up. If I remember rightly Hesford had pre season weight issues so Wilko played Hodge, and that was that, Hodge was ever present.

Why are half the team looking over to their right, smirking, and the rest staring straight ahead ?

1 hour ago, torryowl said:

flipping hell talk about people in glass houses

• Haha 2

A team that was lumped in with Wimbledon and Watford by the press. 

Pidegon holed as somehow antiethical compared to the way the 'top clubs' played. 

But what did they want us to do. 

Go to places, tip tap it about nicely and get picked off?

We had a great set of charachters, a manager of method , a tireless work rate and a never say die attitude. 

And I never went along with the route one nonsense anyway. 

Yes it was direct.  We played to our strengths. But players like Marwood brought excitement and proper wing play.

It was too easy and lazy for the hacks in the nationals to slag us off and call us nothing but a route one outfit. We never got credit because we were seen as up starts.  Upsetting the order of things.

I wish we could regain some of that attitude. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hasthagotanycheese said:

Looking at the current team, not one of them would get in that side.

bannan for blair and theres a *** paper  between hodge and westwood .....that apart I think your right.

bloody hell how can another name for a cigarette not get past the swear filter .....worlds gone mad 

Edited by torryowl