How good was this team?

48 minutes ago, cognacbarnowl said:

If The Sgt had half the cash CC has splurged he would have made us champions.

once they pulled the plug on the spending he couldn't take us any further but what he then did at leeds makes me think your right .....same as catterick really 2 great managers who we let slip thru our fingers due to the board not having the bottle to back them and both winning the title within 2 years with clubs that did . .

Liverpool away my 1st away game, must have been 6 or 7 we won 2-0.

Some good players for time but marwood would make a big difference for us now, a proper winger with a good delivery who arsenal signed off us.

Liked chamberlain later too but annoyingly was usually on bench, maybe he didnt track back much but was a wizard with ball. 

To this day still frustrated with lack of proper wing play bar a decent spell from 93-95 lol

We beat Forest at Notts, and as I was coming away listening to Radio Nottingham, the reporter said "Forest's classy side was beaten by Wilkinson's jackbooted stormtroopers". I laughed all the way home. We  regularly beat better teams than Forest at that time.

Edited by dumboldowl
repeated word

Kicking towards the Kop in the second half ... you would back them against anybody.

They were relentless.

It was not the prettiest football in the world, but they had a great bond with the supporters because of the way they gave everything for the badge.

Made you proud to be a Wednesdayite.

Many good memories 

We could be brutal and sometimes it wasn't easy on the eye with the ball often in the air. However, the players knew their roles, and were good at it, and we played for 90mins, which ,meant you knew you always had a chance in games against the best teams in the country. This was important as, due to the club's (boards) financial constants, we (wilko) had to pick up players from the lower leagues and cast offs. 

More Importantly for the club, the bond between them and the fans was, other than 91, the strongest I can remember.

I remember going to Old Trafford when we beat man ure 2:1 and Denis law (odious man) had a column in one of the red tops  (sun, mirror,star) and dedicated his whole column to berating our negative up and at 'em style of play. That said it all for me on how far we'd come.

38 minutes ago, owlthorpe said:

Great side exciting to watch, my favourite player from that era was Gary Shelton, he was always involved not scared to put his foot in and chipped in was quite a few goals from midfield, just the sort of player we need today

and this is just for you. garymegson