One thing holding us back

Yes I agree, our substitutions were puzzling /wrong today. Lee understandable as he is  still recovering full match fitness, Bannan I'm not sure he should  have come off ( unless he had a knock) until we got the second goal. Hooper ok  bring him off as he was probably shattered, Wallace and Butterfield as replacements probably OK but  bringing Nuhiu on at any stage now is a big mistake. He had a few good touches but never scores and we needed real pace up front especially when it is so tight late on. Joao would have been a much better option he could have closed down the Cardiff defenders much more effectively IMO and relieved the inevitable late pressure. Very disappointing result and two very valuable points lost given we were the much better footballing team for the majority of the game. 

I said around the hour mark that Fletcher looked tired and Joao would be an ideal replacement. Fletcher had a decent game but he was a non-entity for the final 15/20 mins, and as the OP says, the lack of pace meant we just had nothing going forward and invited ever more pressure. 

I know exactly why Nuhiu's on the bench, but I can't help but feel having Joao as the more proactive sub would be a good thing

1 hour ago, torres said:

That's what's killing me! Why doesn't he see it? 

We would be one hell of a team with a pacey forward and someone to run with it in midfield 

Im pretty sure Carlos does see it, maybe the right player hasn't become available?

I personally would have brought Joao on  in the closing stages against Brentford which wouldn't have allowed Brentford to push so far up the pitch. I haven't been today so can't really comment about that game.

I'm sure Carlos knows, hence the attempted late effort to take Ryan Kent on loan. We didn't bring someone in of that ilk, and now FF is out: so Carlos does need to involve Joao and Matias, really. 

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

I think having an injection of pace in the latter stages of the game would help so much. 

Just someone who can carry the ball halfway up the pitch within a matter of a few seconds would make such a difference. 

Would mean we wouldn't be dropping so deep and also give the opposition something to worry about. 

But we have it, in Joao.

Its Carlos not wanting to use it, rather than us not having it. Carlos sits on a lead. Thats what he is. Cautious.

39 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Im pretty sure Carlos does see it, maybe the right player hasn't become available?

I personally would have brought Joao on  in the closing stages against Brentford which wouldn't have allowed Brentford to push so far up the pitch. I haven't been today so can't really comment about that game.

Totally agree.

3 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

We need to use Joao or Matias, as critical as I have been of them, sticking one of them on for the last ten today could've seen us nick a second goal 

this for me. would actually have been great to put joao on the wing today in later stages to give him chance to run at people

Interesting, basically we have 3 ways to manage the game today:

1. Throw on Nuhiu and try and hold on to the ball high up the pitch, Nuhiu's done it before and its worked. I also think CC likes Nuhiu because he's decent defending our box.

2. Throw on Joao, his pace in behind would give us a threat when out of possession, which means the defending side won't over commit.

3. Throw on Nuhiu and Joao, Nuhiu can try and get hold of it and we have a threat in behind with Joao.

The choice is, do we try and see the game out by keeping the ball or do we give up possession and still be a threat?

Maybe option 3 might be worth a try, try both.

4 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Interesting, basically we have 3 ways to manage the game today:

1. Throw on Nuhiu and try and hold on to the ball high up the pitch, Nuhiu's done it before and its worked. I also think CC likes Nuhiu because he's decent defending our box.

2. Throw on Joao, his pace in behind would give us a threat when out of possession, which means the defending side won't over commit.

3. Throw on Nuhiu and Joao, Nuhiu can try and get hold of it and we have a threat in behind with Joao.

The choice is, do we try and see the game out by keeping the ball or do we give up possession and still be a threat?

Maybe option 3 might be worth a try, try both.

Option 3 for me.

We should have swapped like for like.  

Once we took off players like Lee and Hooper, we completely lost that henergy up top and in midfield.  

Ideally even a Rhodes Joao combo would have been sufficient to keep them on their toes at the back.  

Sometimes we need to take more risks to ensure victory.  

Being too cautious has plenty of downsides for sure.

11 hours ago, torres said:

We are well organised 

Technically sound 

But have to be the slowest team in the league going forward. We are unable to play any counter attacking football 

First half today we bossed it, they started pretty defensive 

When they were a goal behind, they obviously pressed on, yet we can't exploit any gaps as we don't have ANY pace going forward.

Its happens time and again. We got away with at Fulham and last Tuesday but costing us points at Burton and today 

We all know it, why can't CC see it?? (Or opposition teams for that matter)

Too late now to change I know but we are so close to a top team. Just that final ingredient and we'd take some stopping 

I'm not sure you can describe constantly playing 2 strikers & 2 wingers with no pace as ONE THING.

We're only scoring enough goals to be mid table, & that where we'll end up.

We can't rely on the defense to complete another record breaking season for clean sheets.

We need more goals; this can only come from a tactical change or personnel change.

We do need an injection of pace but sadly thats not how you get it... injections. We'd have to change the personnel and in doing so would lose out in other areas of the team. Of course we'd enjoy having 11 players who are like sh*t off a shovel but our present, slow team are doing quite well as they are.

We've beaten several teams who have pace on the counter (and we've also lost to a few), I imagine their fans analysis at full time is that they'd trade in a bit of their pace for our organisation, finishing ability and nous.