One thing holding us back

11 hours ago, Bonvin said:

We miss Jeremy helan.  

Im being a bit mischievous with the above but in carlos' first season we closed / finished a number of games with his type of player.

We don't because he is utter horse sh!t but we do obviously need some mobile players. Rather than spending big money on crocks like abdi , we should have signed one or two younger, quicker players. Every team needs a blend but cc/chansiri / bullen and whoever else picks the players seem to favour 30 + and slow (a poor fitness record is a plus too )

11 hours ago, Bodhidharma said:

Funny you should say that because he is exactly who i thought of.

He is the one player you needed when it was backs to the wall, to carry the ball up the field.

That said we have Joao.

He is the only pace player we have left and I'm not sure why we don't use him more.

Cc puts nuihu on to try and stem thier game rather than joao to counter attack, we are technically sound but just dont have the killer touch when on top

12 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

We need to use Joao or Matias, as critical as I have been of them, sticking one of them on for the last ten today could've seen us nick a second goal 

Problem is that Carlos doesn't seem to want to exploit gaps as a result of the opposition pressing forward. He just seems to want 10 men behind the ball defending for their lives.

I think he would see joao or Matias as detrimental to the defence 

13 hours ago, torres said:

We are well organised 

Technically sound 

But have to be the slowest team in the league going forward. We are unable to play any counter attacking football 

First half today we bossed it, they started pretty defensive 

When they were a goal behind, they obviously pressed on, yet we can't exploit any gaps as we don't have ANY pace going forward.

Its happens time and again. We got away with at Fulham and last Tuesday but costing us points at Burton and today 

We all know it, why can't CC see it?? (Or opposition teams for that matter)

Too late now to change I know but we are so close to a top team. Just that final ingredient and we'd take some stopping 

The one thing holding us back is that we aren't ruthless enough or nasty enough as a collective.

That's the difference between teams that finish top 6 and those that go up automatic.

37 minutes ago, poite said:

Problem is that Carlos doesn't seem to want to exploit gaps as a result of the opposition pressing forward. He just seems to want 10 men behind the ball defending for their lives.

I think he would see joao or Matias as detrimental to the defence 

True and they have proven to be in the past. But in the absence of FF we need something otherwise we are just surrendering our attacking play 

When JJ or Helan are put forward as the solution to any of our problems I have to question the knowledge of the posters doing so.

A quick player might be a good option (although I'm not convinced it's the only one) but JJ and Helan aren't.

Guest RocketOwl
15 hours ago, torres said:

We are well organised 

Technically sound 

But have to be the slowest team in the league going forward. We are unable to play any counter attacking football 

First half today we bossed it, they started pretty defensive 

When they were a goal behind, they obviously pressed on, yet we can't exploit any gaps as we don't have ANY pace going forward.

Its happens time and again. We got away with at Fulham and last Tuesday but costing us points at Burton and today 

We all know it, why can't CC see it?? (Or opposition teams for that matter)

Too late now to change I know but we are so close to a top team. Just that final ingredient and we'd take some stopping 

Joao

Guest RocketOwl
4 minutes ago, prowl said:

When JJ or Helan are put forward as the solution to any of our problems I have to question the knowledge of the posters doing so.

A quick player might be a good option (although I'm not convinced it's the only one) but JJ and Helan aren't.

It's frustrating that our best chance in the playoffs fell off to a player who was planning to retire and move to Syria after the game.

CC is too negative. Nothing's going to change him. 

Good post sensible replies. One thing I'd add is that other teams can play a high line against us. Cos if we do play a long ball or clear over the top we've no one to break clear as our player's are that slow opposing defenders know they can catch them anyway . FF is more trickery than speed.

If Carlos is going to add pace to the team then there is something else that would have to be sacrificed for him to do so.

And that in my opinion is why why are not blessed with pacey wingers and strikers.

Carlos has a style and that ain't it.

Problem with pacey players is that the majority of the time none of them have an end product. Helan a prime example. And the ones that do cost the earth.

I do think he has got it the wrong way round with Joao and Nuhiu.

Nuhiu cannot play on the halfway line when we are trying to close out a game. He is too slow.

If Nuhiu is going to be brought on at all it should be when we are committing players forward and get players around him . He can cause havoc with his size and good touch but needs other players close to him. Cardiff at home last year

Joao on the other hand is the most mobile striker we have, can close people down and well capable of frightening a defence when they are pushing up. Probably along with FF the only striker we have who can run away from a defence from the half way line 

1 minute ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

We're crying out for that pace out wide, even just to bring off the bench and change a game, just as JJ used to. The player doesn't have to be a world beater, somebody like a Lloyd Dyer or Kazenga LuaLua would do the job just fine. 

I noticed that the pashun brigade get between 4 and 7 into the box for virtually every attack....LOTS of room for the counter.

26 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

We're crying out for that pace out wide, even just to bring off the bench and change a game, just as JJ used to. The player doesn't have to be a world beater, somebody like a Lloyd Dyer or Kazenga LuaLua would do the job just fine. 

That's the problem though isn't is we had a player not to different to those two before in helan and pace was literally his only attribute. 

Now both them offer a little more than that. 

But I would be extremely gutted if one of them replaced a Reach or even Wallace in the team. 

And at the end of the day Carlos does not set up his teams to play with pacey players so if one came in he would probably be ineffective no matter how quick he may be.

We just have to trust long term Carlos will get it right more often than not this season. And if the last 5 or 6 games are a sign of things to come then I am sure he will.

Also worth remembering Cardiff had a 100% home record before yesterday and Warnock has never lost a home game to Wednesday since 1991.  Good point just unlucky.

So what we are saying is, between us few posters we have figured out the difference between SWFC in 2017/18 and the one from 15/16.

Over those 2 seasons we have brought in plenty of quality, 3 strikers with the pedigree of Hooper, Rhodes and Fletcher which is undeniably 3 top signings in the Championship.

But, with these additions Mr Joao's fallen down that pecking order, when in 15/16 he was used on a regular basis.

Looking at our bench now we have like for like, all our CM players are similar, so when we do pick up injuries we have plenty of depth and quality to bring in, Bannan, Lee, Jones, Butterfield, Abdi all neat and tidy footballers. Hutch is the one thats a bit different.

Our wide players are all very similar, no McManaman or Buckley this season, we have Boyd.

We also have plenty of depth up top, if Hooper isn't 100% we are more than happy to play Rhodes. Joao is the only one that is different but probably lacks the quality of our other options.

CC's signed players to give us depth, so we have several options to play the same way, 2 top six finishers isn't bad.

In CCs first season we didn't have all these options to make like for like changes, we had to change the way we played.

We had to use players like Joao, Matias and Helan because we had no other options.

So instead of trying to manage a game by looking after the ball and taking less risk, we had to gamble on pinching a second on the break.

Thats why were more entertained I would imagine and why CC didn't seem too negative back then.

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

That's the problem though isn't is we had a player not to different to those two before in helan and pace was literally his only attribute. 

Now both them offer a little more than that. 

But I would be extremely gutted if one of them replaced a Reach or even Wallace in the team. 

And at the end of the day Carlos does not set up his teams to play with pacey players so if one came in he would probably be ineffective no matter how quick he may be.

We just have to trust long term Carlos will get it right more often than not this season. And if the last 5 or 6 games are a sign of things to come then I am sure he will.

Also worth remembering Cardiff had a 100% home record before yesterday and Warnock has never lost a home game to Wednesday since 1991.  Good point just unlucky.

It's true, it needs to be someone who can consistently offer some end product. Helan, JJ and Maghoma all failed here because their end product just wasn't anywhere near reliable enough and their game had major deficiencies. I remember screaming for us to sign Dyer after he left Watford.

4 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

It's true, it needs to be someone who can consistently offer some end product. Helan, JJ and Maghoma all failed here because their end product just wasn't anywhere near reliable enough and their game had major deficiencies. I remember screaming for us to sign Dyer after he left Watford.

But would you honestly be happy if we had Dyer as our winger for the next 30 odd games.

He is at Burton for a reason.