The transformation to total football

MOwl

We had a manager in the early 60's called Vic Buckingham, who was one of the initiators of Total Football. He was years ahead of his time. Whilst managing Ajax he discovered a young lad call Joanne Cruyff, Cruyff always spoke very respectfully of him, Vic also managed Barcelona and several other clubs, including Seville and West Brom, with whom he won the FA Cup, whilst taking them to 2nd place in the old 1st division, our board didn't understand his concepts and let him slip away from us, some would welcome Carlos being treated in a similar manner, I'm not one of them.

58 minutes ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Good OP that, I do agree that CC is certainly sticking to his guns with a philosophy, might not work all the time but without banging the same drum...6th, 4th and best start under him so far this season, something's working!

Early season form is misleading.

Lets see where we are after next few games Cardiff, Blades and Leeds all riding high.

1 hour ago, optimisticowl said:

We had a manager in the early 60's called Vic Buckingham, who was one of the initiators of Total Football. He was years ahead of his time. Whilst managing Ajax he discovered a young lad call Joanne Cruyff, Cruyff always spoke very respectfully of him, Vic also managed Barcelona and several other clubs, including Seville and West Brom, with whom he won the FA Cup, whilst taking them to 2nd place in the old 1st division, our board didn't understand his concepts and let him slip away from us, some would welcome Carlos being treated in a similar manner, I'm not one of them.

I remeber reading an article about Jack Reynolds an English man who managed in Switzerland and then went on to manage Ajax in the early 1900's who was credited (along with some others who I forget) with initiating Total Football. It was a great article and followed Total Football's progression and evolution starting with Reynolds Ajax side through the Austrians in the 30's, Hungarians in 50's, the Dutch in the 60's and then onto Barcelona. One of the things that sticks in my memory is that back in the early 1900's they were even having the old debate about style over results, there was even a debate about a Swiss side who maybe should be awarded points for 'artistic merit' as they were wonderful to watch but would often up as bridesmades.

Edited by Walt

1 minute ago, Finlux_Cup said:

Not necessarily, total football also means keeping possession and keeping the opposition chasing.

Something we haven't been doing as we've had less possession than the opposition. 

I said doesn't it involve possession, you said not necessarily then said how it means keeping possession. Either I'm justifiably confused or I've had too many :biggrin:

• Like 1

I see what the OP is getting at. 

In home games you see what CC is trying to do in terms of positioning of the players, time on the ball etc. 

It's the way to play these days. Look at us and Brentford last night - sort of similar in what we're trying to achieve. 

CC is by no means perfect but I presume those that dislike him won't give him credit for his 'style' of football. Obviously it looks harder to replicate in away games where sometimes you've just got to win however you can - then it might get ugly and you have to pump it long. 

Managers have their styles and we're much improved on Stuart Gray, Irvine, Megson and Dave Jones. That's gotta be a good thing. 

6 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I see what the OP is getting at. 

In home games you see what CC is trying to do in terms of positioning of the players, time on the ball etc. 

It's the way to play these days. Look at us and Brentford last night - sort of similar in what we're trying to achieve. 

CC is by no means perfect but I presume those that dislike him won't give him credit for his 'style' of football. Obviously it looks harder to replicate in away games where sometimes you've just got to win however you can - then it might get ugly and you have to pump it long. 

Managers have their styles and we're much improved on Stuart Gray, Irvine, Megson and Dave Jones. That's gotta be a good thing. 

His luck will run out trying to hang on to a lead.

I agree almost totally with the op. The main difference with world football then and the championship now is the amount of space available...ie the tight marking. Carlos has encompassed a similar system but with more discipline. My main reservation is one of fitness and this has proved justified at times. If you have one player (usually the fullback) who doesn't have the legs or the discipline to fall back into position after we have lost possession then it can lead to the back 4'and the dm player not having the confidence to maintain a high line and the link between the defence and the midfield breaking down...in this league... In the premier league I recon it would not be so critical because there is often more space.

4 hours ago, MOwl said:

Since his arrival in 2015, Carlos Carvalhal has revolutionised the style of play at Sheffield Wednesday. Upon first being appointed, he was branded as an 'unknown' by expert pundits, but has subsequently planted a continental style of play upon The Owls - something which, when at its best, enthrals both neutrals and fans of the club. 

Following our match against Brentford last night, something struck me. I've often wondered who, and what, Carlos bases our style of play upon - and I think I've cracked it. 

Total football.

Now before you all scoff, let me explain.

In recent matches, a lot of our success has come from link-ups and partnerships. For the first time in quite a while, we lined up with the same side in consecutive matches.

But what particularly struck me about this was the fact that so many of our line-up have played in a multitude of different positions throughout Carlos' tenure.

Adam Reach = left back, left wing

Ross Wallace = right wing, left wing and central midfield

Barry Bannan = left midfield, right midfield and central midfield 

Kieran Lee = everywhere

Gary Hooper = striker, attacking midfield

Even players like Stephen Fletcher have played on the wing (albeit, in an attacking sense rather than a traditional winger). 

What this provides is great fluidity. Players fill in to various different positions, and play multiple roles. And that is something which is the very definition of the style of play that is entitled total football. 

The similarities continue. Exponents of total football such as the late Jimmy Hogan utilised an intriguing midfield set up: a runner, a passer and a breaker.

Looking at last night's fixture, we lined up in the exact same fashion. Kieran Lee as the runner, Bannan as the passer and David Jones as the breaker.

Total football also relied heavily upon full backs who were adept at joining up with the attack and providing new avenues through opposition defences. Adam Reach and Jack Hunt do this superbly.

Finally, and in my opinion the key to our current play style, the role of Gary Hooper mimics the late and great Johann Cruyff. 

Hooper has, in recent matches, been given complete freedom to pop up where he wants. Naturally, being the fantastic goalscorer that he is, that's usually in between the opposition centre backs, but he also enjoys being a link man in midfield - which coincides with Lee's role who often replaces him inside the opposition box. 

Of course, that isn't to say Carlos sticks rigidly to such an unusual blueprint. We play a flat 4-4-2 out of possession, and players are still given positions to stick to..

BUT... While at times the performances have been lacking, results havent always been perfect and often the system fails, Carlos has revolutionised at The Owls, and created an extraordinary, unique play style that we should cherish while we can. Not many other managers in the Championship are capable of implementing such a dramatic shift in tactics, so successfully. Make the most of it folks, it's not perfect (And never will be) but you're witnessing something that is rarely seen at Hillsborough at the moment.

You'll need a much more convincing argument for the Bed Wetters lol

5 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Something we haven't been doing as we've had less possession than the opposition. 

I said doesn't it involve possession, you said not necessarily then said how it means keeping possession. Either I'm justifiably confused or I've had too many :biggrin:

maybe Brentford play total football as well and played it better ....