• Bannan
    • Wallace
    • Abdi
    • Hooper
    • Winnall
    • Fletcher
    • Rhodes
    • Palmer

Reach for me, esp 2nd half. Bannan 9/10 as well - always driving us forward. Hooper outstanding first half, less so in withdrawn role. Pudil terrific too and Fletch in his cameo.

Westwood poor by his standards (one good save though), Lees shocking distribution, Wallace quiet and some surprisingly rubbish crosses, Hunt far less effective than Reach (injured early on?), Jones had a mare apart from his goal

1. Bannan - For the full 90 Minutes, including the lacklustre first half he was our best player. Showing exactly what he is capable of and why he was one of the divisions best players when he's playing 20 yards higher up the pitch.
  2. Reach-  Superb second half. Got in some good positions first half but either hit first man or dallied. Second half was as good as I have ever seen from him. 
  3. Fletcher- Catalyst for the turn around second half for me. (Along with a subtle switch fro Diamond to 433 from Carlos) Fletch ' s willingness to not only be a handful down the middle but to do the hard yard and bust a gut to get out and work the channel was so effective in helping us stretch the play and make gaps in Sunderland back line.

Reach, Bannan neck and neck, with Hooper a cross-bar away in third.

Westy - 6 - poor night. I'm never critical of our superb No 1 but off night! 

Hunt - 7.5 - heroic efforts given that nasty knee injury so early. Did better second half and deserves a medal for trying so hard for 80.

Lees - 6- terrible distribution, and modest defensively

Pudil - 6 fair shift.

Reach - 9.5 - magnificent full-back display. How many years since we watched such a performance? Speed, boundless energy, some world-class crosses second half. Perfectly good defensively too. Top man tonight. Best LB we have by a country mile.

Jones - 7 - very poor 45, but very good second half. Had a couple of shots before his goal, which we don't get from Hutch. Terrific goal. Linked well with his other midfielders and pushed us higher up the field than Hutch. A hit.

Wallace 6.5 - one of his quieter games. Better second half. Crosses not his usual level. 

Bannan - Brilliant all round midfield display. Everywhere. Demanded the ball and faultless when he got on it. Superb linking with Reach. Often the highest upfield chasing down their last man. WHAT A PLAYER!

ABDI - 6.5 - ok, tried really hard. Not overly effective. Why did he go off?

Hooper - 8.5 - brilliant. What a player on the ball, times his runs to perfection, and tremendous shots. So unlucky not to score a couple tonight. Put some great balls in and worked his nads off. Top man.

Winnall - 6 - marks for effort but very little came off. Not convincing at all. We were far better when Fletch came on. Not quick, not strong, and won nothing in the air. 

Fletch made add a huge impact. Love his effort, his amazing control, and his work with Baz and Reach. This was a player coming for a late payday.....not at all. Superb work rate and heart of a lion.

Rhodes - very hungry and noticeable how bullish he was with his team-mates. Looked a different animal tonight. If he had got his head on the brave diving header between 2 defenders on the end of that habulous move down our left......roof would have come off.

Lots of positives.....BUT GET THOSE FIRST HALF LEAD BOOTS OFF THE GUYS CARLOS.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Bannan - Brilliant all round midfield display. Everywhere. Demanded the ball and faultless when he got on it. Superb linking with Reach. Often the highest upfield chasing down their last man. WHAT A PLAYER!

Yes because he wasn't shackled by a central role in a 442!!

Thank God Carlos may have finally seen the light. 433 is the way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Thank God Carlos may have finally seen the light. 433 is the way.

The only irony being... the player actually suited to the left of a three pronged striking unit is out! 

Heh. Well get there in the end though!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, james o connor said:

Whoever has voted jones and abdi have got to be sniffing some pretty toxic fumes 

From withIn  a sealed transport container,  on a cargo ship somewhere across the Atlantic ocean,  I can only imagine...  

Edited by owls-swfc

25 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Can't decide between Reach and Bannan.

Pudil also deserves a mention. 

spot on ....I went for bannan but could easily have gone for the other two ........pudil was the surprise package ...sound defensively and to have a centre back who can run with the ball and join the attack was a breath of fresh air .

1 hour ago, ANDY said:

Get picking. 

Bannan again for me. 

Yep, excellent again from Bannan, stood out in the first half when many weren't at his level and maintained it in the 2nd half when we raised our game as a team. Reach was excellent 2nd half and Pudil did much better than most expected of him in this game.

We should really have won that and when we play as we did 2nd half that's what makes the Preston and 1st half QPR performances so frustrating.

MOM Bannan was everywhere except for where he normally starts moves off ie.25 yards inside our own half. He also went on another good run in the first half.

Reach had a good game too thanks a lot to Bannan's renewed positivity. His previous best performance was against Birmingham when he reverted to left back. He is better defensively and offensively from LB due to his energy. He needs to be given some stability in that position in this kind of set up.

Hooper was good and Pudil showed the benefit of having someone to bring the ball out from the back. I think at times this prevented Bannan from dropping too deep. Jones was nowhere near as bad as some try to make out. He was trying to keep the ball moving quickly and tried some longer balls in the first half. We need to show this kind of intent even if it does not always come off. It may also be this intent was responsible for his goal. He could easily have gone for a simple pass at another time. Hunt also did well to get forward and provided one or two good crosses.

I have to admit I'm a bit of a Bazza Basher but tonight was the BB we saw in that first season, outstanding all night.

Again I've had strong words about Reach but he was as someone else has said "looked the 5m signing" we have all been waiting to see.

Bazza for me followed by Reach.