• Bannan
    • Wallace
    • Abdi
    • Hooper
    • Winnall
    • Fletcher
    • Rhodes
    • Palmer

I think Abdi also deseves a mention. I voted Bannan. I have been one of his biggest critics but today he played very well, especially in the first half when we had another offensive CM in Abdi. The team seems to work better in a diamond formation in the middle. (Both times without FF who I believe is bad for team spirit.)

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 hours ago, damianb1 said:

How anyone can have voted for jones is beyond me, other than his goal which admitted was a hell of a strike he was beyond diabolical. A truly horrendous performance.

I was thinking the exact same.  The goal was outstanding though.  Let's put him on free kicks around the area too cos Bannan and Wallace are rubbish at them!

5 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I was thinking the exact same.  The goal was outstanding though.  Let's put him on free kicks around the area too cos Bannan and Wallace are rubbish at them!

Wallace is excellent at free-kicks around the box.

But yes, Abdi, when playing, is excellent too, and provides us with that great left-footer/right-footer conundrum goalies hate. I was surprised we didn't see Wallace and Abdi both shaping up to take it last night. It was clear it was only Wallace involved which took any surprise element away.

And sadly no, it was not vintage Wallace!

Reach for me.  Had his best game for us by far.  The Reach-bashers sat behind me didn't compliment him once but jumped straight on him in minute 38 when a player beat him for the first time.  There's loads of tools like that unfortunately.  All with their own scapegoats that they just CANNOT bring themselves to view fairly.

Bannan second.  Great performance.

Hooper had a tremendous first half, real battler and great vision, but was watered down in the second half by the changes.

Has to be Adam Reach for me. That was the most marked improvement by a single player you'll see in the space of 10 days.

Let's hope he's not a one-hit wonder (and that he gets better with his crossing, they were a bit wild last night).

Bannan, Hooper and Pudil all contenders too.

Jones, for all he scored a brilliant goal, was well below par last night - though I believe part of the problem is that, like Westwood, he doesn't entirely trust our defence. Hopefully the goal gives him confidence.

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Wallace is excellent at free-kicks around the box.

But yes, Abdi, when playing, is excellent too, and provides us with that great left-footer/right-footer conundrum goalies hate. I was surprised we didn't see Wallace and Abdi both shaping up to take it last night. It was clear it was only Wallace involved which took any surprise element away.

And sadly no, it was not vintage Wallace!

Everything Abdi does is quick and tidy. He's moving the ball on as soon as it gets to him, with precision and control.

He got caught in possession a few times, but so did quite a few people. Sunderland were pressing hard in the first half.

33 minutes ago, Eaton_Swfc said:

Bannan. 

Reach had his best 30 minutes in a Wednesday shirt too but can't vote for him due to his ineptitude for the other 60 minutes. 

What was inept about Reach last night?

First half his final ball only occasionally got past the first man, but he won several corners and did get a couple of his crosses past his man. The number of his lung-bursting forays up that wing was staggering. 

Second half he he seemed to soar in confidence and he roasted his full-back time after time, and his crossing was super-dangerous. 

Defensively his winger got nothing all night. 

5 hours ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

By and large the quality of set pieces last night was.... not great, to put it mildly.  Better as things went on, but not by enough.

17 minutes ago, waddleisgod said:

Bannan

Hooper

and

Reach (well second half)

For me

Taking Abdi off at half time was correct, he was a passenger I just don't see what he brings???

For the fist time I'm beginning to think the same.