Diamond formation in midfield tonight

I went last night and the first thing I would say is that Wednesday did everything that could be expected. Played with tempo, attacked and scored goals.

However, we were playing against extremely poor opposition. They stood off us in midfield and they were woeful in both full back positions. So definitely, lets not carried away.

The diamond is an interesting option for us though. Too many of our players are not suited to 4-4-2.

Reach doesn't offer enough going forward for a wide midfielder yet doesn't appear a good enough defender to be an orthodox full back.

Hunt is happier attacking than defending.

Hutch leaves his midfield partner too isolated.

Forestieri seems more suited to playing deeper but apparently prefers playing central.

Abdi can't nail down a role that suits him.

Carlos apparently prefers even his wide midfielders to be fluid, interchange and come inside. Preferring possession over penetration by getting behind the full backs. Certainly Wallace, Boyd and Matias seem likely to be happier in a more fluid formation.

Therefore we can argue over 3-4-3, 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 etc etc but it seems clear that Wednesday have players that appear likely to be more suited to a more fluid formation than 4-4-2.

With the sheer amount (and quality)of strikers we have, I always believed Carlos was unlikely to move to a formation that only played one of them.

Since settling on 4-4-2 Carlos has stuck to it resolutely, therefore maybe 3-5-2 is too much of a leap of faith. Furthermore, the diamond is very similar to 3-5-2 when used properly.

Therefore, maybe the diamond is the answer.  Hutch can truly protect the back four enabling the full backs to bomb on. Hutch plays so deep, it will effectively be a back three at times. Jones is a more than capable deputy for the "anchor" role.

Bannan, Lee, Abdi, Wallace and Boyd all appear to be more than capable of being the sides to the diamond.

Boyd, Abdi, Mathias and Forestieri (and even Hooper) are all capable of being the point of the diamond.

It seems to suit the fluid interchange of midfielders demanded by Carlos far more than than 4-4-2.

The likes of Lee, Bannan, Boyd and Wallace all have the work rate to afford the full backs protection when defending.

my one doubt is still left back, no matter which formation we play. I am not convinced about Pudil when faced with a decent winger, nor am I convinced he has the legs required to continuously bomb forward in this formation.  I am also not convinced that when we are under pressure, Reach is good enough defensively.

Interesting to see if Carlos is brave enough to persist with this on Saturday.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

I have often thought that playing the diamond would get the best out of several of our midfield players.

Hutchinson/Jones can sit deep protect the defence and play to their strengths.

Lee/Bannan can both play centrally where they want to and have the freedom to attack knowing theres a guy sitting behind

Abdi/Forestieri can pull strings in the hole

And we still get to play two of our many strikers up front.

Only problem is what do you do with Wallace/Boyd/Reach/Matias?

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Always thought Wallace would be excellent off a front pairing given half a chance. 

But agree that Fernando will always get picked. That's how it is. 

Where is Boyd fitting in this scheme?

He will shoehorn FF in somehow - for me it has to be on the left.  If someone else has to drop out so be it - CC has to start being more pragmatic.

As for Boyd, I agree...wonder if CC has even considered it, or just sees him as another player to chose when the faves get injured.

43 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

I have often thought that playing the diamond would get the best out of several of our midfield players.

Lee/Bannan can both play centrally where they want to and have the freedom to attack knowing theres a guy sitting behind

Matias could be a useful impact sub, and the others could potentially be used as part of the diamond

8 minutes ago, beloved_aunt said:

Reach as attacking fullback against lesser side.

Boyd and Wallace both capable of playing one of the tucked in side roles of the Diamond.

Both probably capable of playing in the hole too.

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Reach as attacking fullback against lesser side.

Boyd and Wallace both capable of playing one of the tucked in side roles of the Diamond.

Both probably capable of playing in the hole too.

Probably true, I think Boyd generally played at 10 for Peterborough so he could probably do that position.

And we'll always need impact subs and diff options for diff games.  I'd give this system a run for a couple of weeks.

FINALLY

Regarding width, our continued failure to sign a fast "traditional" winger has actually done us a favour in terms of switching to a diamond midfield. I'm yet to see any evidence that Reach or Matias are top class wingers in a flat 4, and I believe both Wallace and Boyd have the work ethic and attributes to play more centrally. 

The benefit of having Abdi or FF sat behind a front pairing from Hooper/Rhodes/Fletcher/Winnall VASTLY outweighs the "cost" of losing our "wingers". 

I thought we looked very good with a diamond but think we need a CB with a bit of pace who can pass a ball urgently if were to change our style of play.

On Saturday I'd use Lees and Hutch at CB purely as they are quicker and better ball carries than Loovens unfortunately though that means leaving our best defender out.

I don't see how it will work any differently to how we currently play. Unless we really commit to playing whoever is at the tip of the diamond, as an attacking player. And I can't see Carlos going for that.

When the opposition has the ball I'm sure we'll end up as flat a 442 as you can see to prevent Hutch/Jones being outnumbered. 

And what about width? Everyone moans about a lack of quality coming in to the box from wide areas. With this we'd see even less.

For me the main problem is simply having too many strikers. We're forced to play with 2 and it hampers the rest of the side. 

I'd love to see Carlos sacrifice a striker, play wide attackers who wouldn't have to get back and defend as much due to not relying on our fullbacks to attack so much.

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I don't see how it will work any differently to how we currently play. Unless we really commit to playing whoever is at the tip of the diamond, as an attacking player. And I can't see Carlos going for that.

When the opposition has the ball I'm sure we'll end up as flat a 442 as you can see to prevent Hutch/Jones being outnumbered. 

And what about width? Everyone moans about a lack of quality coming in to the box from wide areas. With this we'd see even less.

For me the main problem is simply having too many strikers. We're forced to play with 2 and it hampers the rest of the side. 

I'd love to see Carlos sacrifice a striker, play wide attackers who wouldn't have to get back and defend as much due to not relying on our fullbacks to attack so much.

Did you go last night?

4-1-2-1-2 is the perfect formation for us at the minute

3-5-2 when we have the ball with Hutchinson dropping in to make a back 3, with Hunt & Reach providing the width which works well as they're both better going forward than they are defensively

Forestieri in behind the strikers 

Perfect 

Very excited to see if we could play the diamond vs better opposition, Hunt/Reach both naturally get forward a lot so we wouldn't struggle for width, Wallace & Bannan would be tricky when they drift out or come inside - creates so much space for FF to do his magic in the middle and pull the stings. Plus we get to see arguably our best striking combination upfront together.

Westwood

Hunt        Lees    Loovens        Reach

Jones

Wallace                 Bannan

FF

Hooper               Fletcher

Plenty of attacking options on the bench to mix it up, Boyd / Wallace, Abdi / FF, Rhodes / Fletcher,  Winnall / Hooper, Lee / Bannan.