Diamond formation in midfield tonight

Interesting change from Carlos tonight with a diamond in midfield as opposed to a flat 4.

Jones at the base did well. Bannan looked far more offensive on the left. Wallace was class.

Abdi at the tip was basically behind the front 2 and showed glimpses of quality.

But it struck me that FF could play that offensive midfield role as it provides freedom to support the strikers.

Hope we try this sat

We certainly have to find a way in league games to get more bodies into centre midfield. Then you have a chance of playing some proper football. 

If Carlos wants to keep playing two strikers then a diamond is one way of doing it. No idea whether we could get away with it in the championship 

Westwood 

Hunt   Lees  loovens Reach

Hutchinson 

Lee           Bannan

Forestieri 

Hooper    Fletcher 

Imagine this for Saturday?

:stuwinky:

I thought it worked well tonight, albeit against a poor Chesterfield side. 

Jones seems quite comfortable in that screening role just in front of the back four. 

Seemed to suit Bannan and Wallace who were pretty much everywhere in the midfield and it also put Abdi more in his natural position. 

Didn't Carlos say that Fessi can't play behind the strikers 

not having a go I'm sure I read that or heard an interview could have made it up though 

could bannan play it with Boyd out left? It's hard to move bannan after that display. Kieren Lee coming back in? 

All seens a bit positive again 

WAWAW

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Always thought Wallace would be excellent off a front pairing given half a chance. 

But agree that Fernando will always get picked. That's how it is. 

Where is Boyd fitting in this scheme?

He is our most talented player and one that can create summat out of nowt. He should be the 1st name on the team sheet (but not up front) 

We've got a squad full of good footballers.

They're at their best technically with the ball on the deck. 

Possession and being allowed to move more freely will show our individual and group talents. 

Look at Jones for example... 

Flat 442 = Meh 

Tonights role = Suited to it perfectly. 

5 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

He is our most talented player and one that can create summat out of nowt. He should be the 1st name on the team sheet (but not up front) 

Oh he is a talent, no question. 

Just not a fan of his centrally. 

Just think Wallace gets overlooked as being able to play on the left and in the hole.  

I'd sound a note of caution here, as we need to remember the level of the opposition tonight.  Not wishing to sound over negative, but QPR will be a whole different standard of opponents.  Maybe the diamond system as a way of playing might be worth continuing with, but it's the application by every member of the team that is also important.  Yes, - tonight has been much better (from the radio commentary, is all I have to go on), - but we need every player to be on his game on Saturday and every future game too.

Guest wilyfox
Just now, theowlsman said:

I don't mind diamonds. It's squares who get on my nerves

You'll never work in the Pentagon with that wit.