Diamond formation in midfield tonight

3 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

We got loads of crosses in last night from Hunt and Reach mainly so was a massive improvement on previous games for that. 

Will it work in Championship well there's only 1 way to find out.

I suppose you could argue we sort of did use it a couple of times last season. Wigan at home, Rotherham away, Cardiff and Derby at home. 

A 433 really but not like most teams use it. We were narrower and just pretty much left 3 attacking players high up the pitch as often as possible. Won all 4 games.

Yeah well it's not news is it, well it might be for some people, but FF is best running at defenders and supporting the strikers. The problem is he's not very big and can't hold the ball up, it's not his, fault, so he needs to come from deeper to be able to run at defenders, unless he can turn them like I've seen him do, but that's risky and could lead to injury. He has a good shot from range too.  Whether a diamond is the answer , I doubt it. Depending how tight we play it, it's either going to leave big holes on the wings or central

Edited by pgmetcalf

5 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Couple of assumptions in this though.

1. That it would work. Never been tried.

2. FF would want to play that role.

Why wouldn't he want to play that role? He played the left of a front 3 for Watford all the time and this is his best position without question.  With this role you don't have as many defensive responsibilities as a conventional winger.   I don't think we will go with that formation anayway as we have too many strikers.  He could go with the diamond, like last night tho.

7 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Why wouldn't he want to play that role? He played the left of a front 3 for Watford all the time and this is his best position without question.  With this role you don't have as many defensive responsibilities as a conventional winger.   I don't think we will go with that formation anayway as we have too many strikers.  He could go with the diamond, like last night tho.

I think a front 3 of Forestieri, Fletcher and Hooper could work. But with FF and Hoops moving about more than Fletch.

Also there is Matias who could play in a front 3, apparently. 

didn't we try and play 433 in Carlos' first game at home to Bristol city? I remember enjoying that game but maybe it's my owl tinted glasses 

We have some really good central midfielders but they need to play in a 3 across the middle to dominate that area. I.e. Bannan, Jones and Abdi/Lee. 

Just hope Carlos will be more adventurous on Saturday like his old days

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

I think a front 3 of Forestieri, Fletcher and Hooper could work. But with FF and Hoops moving about more than Fletch.

Also there is Matias who could play in a front 3, apparently. 

didn't we try and play 433 in Carlos' first game at home to Bristol city? I remember enjoying that game but maybe it's my owl tinted glasses 

We have some really good central midfielders but they need to play in a 3 across the middle to dominate that area. I.e. Bannan, Jones and Abdi/Lee. 

Just hope Carlos will be more adventurous on Saturday like his old days

Whats frustrating is that it was clear to me after the playoff final against Hull is that we would play 4-3-3 the following season with FF on the left. I thought we bring in another wide attacker with pace to play on the right and someone in the middle of attack with some pace for variety.

We often played 4-3-3 throughout the season when we were at our fluid best.  This formation suits all our midfielders as I don't we are strong enough to play with only 2 in the middle.  Bannan's being a scapegoat on here for ages but we don't pla to his strengths.

We are now left with an imbalanced squad with a load of strikers.  One thing for sure - we need to play with 3 central midfielders. We look a good side when this happens.  Like you say, we need see whether we can play with FF and Hooper roaming around Fletch.  If we can get Ff, Hoops and Lee playing in the same team with how they link the play, we will be joy to watch.

20 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

In a different thread someone posted the link to Carlos saying FF isn't a No 10.

So he won't play in a diamond, or would be striker if he does.

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

In a different thread someone posted the link to Carlos saying FF isn't a No 10.

So he won't play in a diamond, or would be striker if he does.

I agree with your comments that FF is not suited to the number 10 role.  He gets knocked off the ball too easily and Hooper plays this role better. Re; Carlos comments - why does he always play FF there in a 4-4-2 and why didn't he adopt a 4-3-3 strategy last season to get the best out of FF as a wide attacker? I get completely perplexed by Carlos sometimes.

I would like to see a front 3 of Hooper, Fletcher and FF.  Fletcher being the middle man.  We need 3 in the middle of the park. Our midfielders are suited to playing in a midfield 3. If we continue to play 4-4-2 with tucked in wingers and been all pragmatic, I am likely to burst into tears.  That was absolutely vvank on Saturday, like it was for large parts of last season. 

Carlos has finally starting listening to me 

57f7cf3d3255e_DiamondIKnewYoudCome.jpg.c3b1b049daad0ac5380efee703f95882.jpg

3 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

I agree with your comments that FF is not suited to the number 10 role.  He gets knocked off the ball too easily and Hooper plays this role better. Re; Carlos comments - why does he always play FF there in a 4-4-2 and why didn't he adopt a 4-3-3 strategy last season to get the best out of FF as a wide attacker? I get completely perplexed by Carlos sometimes.

I would like to see a front 3 of Hooper, Fletcher and FF.  Fletcher being the middle man.  We need 3 in the middle of the park. Our midfielders are suited to playing in a midfield 3. If we continue to play 4-4-2 with tucked in wingers and been all pragmatic, I am likely to burst into tears.  That was absolutely vvank on Saturday, like it was for large parts of last season. 

4-3-3 makes sense to me too, but I'm guessing there are two reasons why Carlos will no longer play it ... 

A front 3 of FF ... Fletcher ... Hooper would leave fans moaning about Hooper having to cover the right hand side.

A front 3 of FF ... Fletcher ... Boyd / Wallace would offer more balance, but leaves half a dozen strikers on the bench

7 hours ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Very excited to see if we could play the diamond vs better opposition, Hunt/Reach both naturally get forward a lot so we wouldn't struggle for width, Wallace & Bannan would be tricky when they drift out or come inside - creates so much space for FF to do his magic in the middle and pull the stings. Plus we get to see arguably our best striking combination upfront together.

Westwood

Hunt        Lees    Loovens        Reach

Jones

Wallace                 Bannan

FF

Hooper               Fletcher

Plenty of attacking options on the bench to mix it up, Boyd / Wallace, Abdi / FF, Rhodes / Fletcher,  Winnall / Hooper, Lee / Bannan.

For some strange reason that formation appears to have more players in it than just 11 ...  Obviously just optical illusion, but could work if the opposites also think they are outnumbered too!

Edited by owls-swfc