Diamond formation in midfield tonight

10 minutes ago, kristmace said:

Tip of the diamond is ideal for FF. That gap between midfield and defence is rife for him to exploit. 

And with Abdi to get full fit, Lee to come back,  and Boyds signing freeing up Wallace we have other players to pop in there if it's not happening for him or the opposition are winding him up.

9 minutes ago, kristmace said:

Tip of the diamond is ideal for FF. That gap between midfield and defence is rife for him to exploit. 

It's ideal if he's willing to track back when required...

5 hours ago, SiJ said:

It's ideal if he's willing to track back when required...

He's obviously willing, just thinks it harms his attacking play. Which is fair enough really. His best position is clearly on the left of a front three. He's not a winger in the traditional sense. 

7 hours ago, raljex said:

Genuine question - has he ever played just behind the strikers (central) for us?

No.

Always makes me smile when I read it would be his best position. That's a pure guess/hope.

We pretty much all know his best position. Lets hope that somehow, the current nonesense gets resolved, and he plays there.

I dont think its complicated, its just strong management. "You are the best wide left player in the division, and thats where Im playing you...happy? Great.  If not, bye"

If its a genuine diamond, ok.

But lets not forget how easily that morphs into a flat four across the park, with 3 CMs.

That awful lop-sided approach upto game18 last season scuppered our auto-spot chances.

Edited by Holmowl

8 hours ago, meggoisgod said:

Interesting change from Carlos tonight with a diamond in midfield as opposed to a flat 4.

Jones at the base did well. Bannan looked far more offensive on the left. Wallace was class.

Abdi at the tip was basically behind the front 2 and showed glimpses of quality.

But it struck me that FF could play that offensive midfield role as it provides freedom to support the strikers.

Hope we try this sat

I have always thought FF would be best placed there, gives him a bit more space centrally 

23 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If its a genuine diamond, ok.

But lets not forget how easily that morphs into a flat four across the park, with 3 CMs.

That awful lop-sided approach upto game18 last season scuppered our auto-spot chances.

True but Carlos or whoever needs to train the team so it morphs into a 433 instead, similar to how Southampton play. With Forestieri being our Tadic 

Its absolutely the right way to go. 

Ive said since last season, that to get the best out of our midfield options AND play as many as our striking options as possible, the 4-4-2 Diamond was the most logical system. 

It suits its so many of our players. Hunt will look twice the player he has done, because his strength is attacking. Same applies for Reach, and those wanting him deployed in a wing back role. It gives Bannan the licence to roam and drive forward. Jones or more like Hutchinson can sit and recycle possession, and just focus on protecting the centre halves. 

It introduces a genuine no.10 which suits Abdi (or Forestieri) down to the ground. Wallace suits the central winger role perfectly. It allows him to drift about, and pick up positions that create links with Hunt. 

And up front, we'll take your pick. Hooper, Fletcher, Winnall & Rhodes will all score goals and get chances in this system, if we play it like we did last night. 

Its ra not perfect, and there's still a lot of work to do. We got caught out too often last night by getting too adventurous and against a better side, could've been punished. Hutchinson playing at the base of the diamond could remedy that somewhat.  But it's a step in the right direction. And it's a huge improvement on the dross we saw on Saturday. 

Just hope Carlos sees the positives, and doesn't revert back to type on Saturday. 

P.S. Thought we looked just as comfortable when we switched to a 4-2-3-1 for the last 20 minutes aswell. 

13 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

True but Carlos or whoever needs to train the team so it morphs into a 433 instead, similar to how Southampton play. With Forestieri being our Tadic 

Couple of assumptions in this though.

1. That it would work. Never been tried.

2. FF would want to play that role.

8 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

He is our most talented player and one that can create summat out of nowt. He should be the 1st name on the team sheet (but not up front) 

He's nowhere near the first name on team sheet for me

A fully fit Keiren Lee all day long 

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Couple of assumptions in this though.

1. That it would work. Never been tried.

2. FF would want to play that role.

Yes I suppose what I'm really saying is 433 suits us better than 442. With Forestieri and Hooper moving around the top 3 positions. And it means we don't have to play ineffective wingers. 

A diamond or 433 is better than 442 with the players we have, but I expect to see 442 again on Saturday. 

I dare say I would of looked good last night playing in a diamond with the amount of space and time we had on the ball. Poor opposition. 

I might be wrong here, but I can't see cc playing this formation in the league cos it means sacrificing shape to defend and worrying less about the opposition. Abdi at top of the diamond would be better than ff, he's a team player, who keeps it simple and off loads the ball to others makinf runs. Ff is a greedy player who would turn and run and not create as much for others. Would be nice if ff could swallow his selfishness and play as part of the two central midfielders. Playing the ball into abdi then running beyond him for the return he'd be more dangerous. 

Abdi sees the game better than most in our squad. 

Westwood 

hunt, lees, loovens/new, reach

Hutch/jones

Lee/boyd/wall            Bannan/abdi/lee

Abdi/ff/matias

Hooper/ff, rhodes/fletch

Lots of options, has to be better than flat 442 as we dont have proper wingers, away from home sometimes could play 1 striker with 2 of abdi/ff/matias just behind too

Edited by Ash77